cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do you think the future will affect us?

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The so-called 3g CDMA network was using EVDO and did allow voice and data to be used at the same time.

@computergeek541 yeah I remember that being a big deal when it launched!  EVDO was a nice step forward, but I believe most consider it 2.5G rather than proper 3G.  

That depends on who you asked. Customers didn't consider it to be 3g, just as customers didn't usually consider HSPA+ to be 4g.  

The Bell Mobility coverage maps labelled EVDO as "3g". Some of the phones even had a sticker on them that said "3g by Qualcomm". 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@madhi19 wrote:

Don't worry about it. The limitation of 5G are pretty brutal despite the marketing they need a lot more towers than feasible. Figure it's going to roll out for commercial use first. ISP's going from physical node to wireless that sorts of things. Instead worry about whatever standard come next. Once they have a standard that won't require a tower on every corner that when the industry will upgrade for the general customers.

The network is going to have to be far more dense than it is now as well. Especially outside of cities here you're lucky to even stay on 700MHz LTE without falling back to UMTS/HSPA on the TCH.

Mayor / Maire

@srlawren 

In some ways the later revision of EVDO (B if I remember) was far superior but more people wanted unlocked phones and SIM cards

So much so that CDMA actually worked on the RUIM SIM standerd that basically went nowhere

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

REV 0 was 3G

REV A (and REV B which Bell never finished) were 4G

Same way LTE is not true 4G

It wasn't until LTE Advanced they actually met the standerds

Marketing be damned (it was the US, in particular Sprint & T Mobile) who false advertised heavily and the carriers were all pushing the internation standerds

@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The so-called 3g CDMA network was using EVDO and did allow voice and data to be used at the same time.

@computergeek541 yeah I remember that being a big deal when it launched!  EVDO was a nice step forward, but I believe most consider it 2.5G rather than proper 3G.  

That depends on who you asked. Customers didn't consider it to be 3g, just as customers didn't usually consider HSPA+ to be 4g.  

The Bell Mobility coverage maps labelled EVDO as "3g". Some of the phones even had a sticker on them that said "3g by Qualcomm". 

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541 

REV 0 was 3G

Marketing be damned (it was the US, in particular Sprint & T Mobile) who false advertised heavily and the carriers were all pushing the internation standerds

Didn't they push through a change in the standards that allowed them to advertise HSPA+ as "4g"?

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mountainmaxman I don't see 3G being decommissioned until 2025 at the earliest. Public Mobile already uses the 4G network for data and text, and will eventually enable VoLTE as well. In terms of speed increases, I can only see them doing this if a competitor does it first.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@madhi19 what you're describing is the limitations of mmWave frequencies, not 5G technology.

In the US they have initially deployed 5G on mmWave only, that's why the issues are present. There's no requirement to deploy this way. In Canada you might see lower frequency bands deployed for 5G, and the coverage and experience will be similar or slightly better than 4G today.

Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon wrote:

In the US they have initially deployed 5G on mmWave only, that's why the issues are present. There's no requirement to deploy this way. In Canada you might see lower frequency bands deployed for 5G, and the coverage and experience will be similar or slightly better than 4G today.

@sheytoon I did not know that, thanks for the enlightenment!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

Exactly

Standerds today were lowered so the stuff they sold as 4G back then could actually be called 4G

It was the wild west for a few years with all kinds of marketing nonsense

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541 

REV 0 was 3G

Didn't they push through a change in the standards that allowed them to advertise HSPA+ as "4g"?

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The future?....the future!

It’s going to come down to

“us” vs the “machines”

I’m a be John Conners up in this muthaphuka!!! Believe dat!!!

yo iPhone or yo kids...