cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop another carrier from taking this number and switching me?

Patrick1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

16 REPLIES 16

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@LovesToPM  Please define what "a ton" means. PM is a prepaid service. Nothing prevents me  from setting my name on the account to be "Mickey Mouse" how do they verify that? Smiley Happy

You answer Mickey Mouse.

Now...for the topic...maybe that would be good. Someone would have to know that you also used a fake name than what they might know you as.

I know the name on the account Mickey Mouse and I know the phone number  but:

• no selfserve access
  • lost my phone
  • no access to email anymore
  • can't remember my PIN. and/or my security question

How does the moderator verify that I'm Mickey Mouse?

They don't ask for personal id. They ask other questions that only the account holder should be able to answer like:

- what is the credit card on file?

- what are the most called/texted numbers?

- what is your birth date?

- what was the amount of your last payment?

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

Simple, the Moderator calls Disney. Robot LOL

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@LovesToPM  Please define what "a ton" means. PM is a prepaid service. Nothing prevents me  from setting my name on the account to be "Mickey Mouse" how do they verify that? Smiley Happy

You answer Mickey Mouse.

Now...for the topic...maybe that would be good. Someone would have to know that you also used a fake name than what they might know you as.

I know the name on the account Mickey Mouse and I know the phone number  but:

• no selfserve access
  • lost my phone
  • no access to email anymore
  • can't remember my PIN. and/or my security question

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

You answer Mickey Mouse.

@geopublic wrote:

WIth the current support system in place here at PM and the fact being that a PM moderator can only be contacted only via ticket submission or private message, lends itself to the perfect SIMjacking storm IMHO.

I suspect that is why we see a large numbers of community posts from users that just signed up minutes ago asking:

"... how can I  access my account? My phone just got stolen, I did not setup selfserve, my email was deleted and I don't know my PIN number...please help!!."

You might on onto something. This is another reason why users must keep their personal info private.

My understanding is that Moderators will ask a ton of questions before assuming someone is the rightful owner of a PM account.

WIth the current support system in place here at PM and the fact being that a PM moderator can only be contacted only via ticket submission or private message, lends itself to the perfect SIMjacking storm IMHO.

I suspect that is why we see a large numbers of community posts from users that just signed up minutes ago asking:

"... how can I  access my account? My phone just got stolen, I did not setup selfserve, my email was deleted and I don't know my PIN number...please help!!."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kelvin87 

I've read that PM does send out a text alerting the customer of the attempt. The problem is that it defaults to proceed not long after getting it. And then PM doesn't have a call-in method to stop it. All carriers should wait for a positive response back from the holder of the number. Failing that then the attempt fails. But no...it goes ahead. Wrong.

Kelvin87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

When I ported my number from Fido to Public Mobile I had to enter my account number and full name. They also ask for IMEI and serial number of phone as options but my account number and full name was needed.

So in order for someone to take your number they need 3 things:

1.) Your Phone number

2.) Your Account number

3.) Your Full Name

I also received a text from Fido indicating someone was trying to port my number and to contact Fido customer service if that was not the case. I definitely appreciate that update text and hope that Public Mobile will also send out a Text alert like this if I or someone does try to port my number out without my consent.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The moderators should be able to help with this issue, hopefully before the number is taken. Contact a moderator by clicking question mark, bottom right, and follow instructions.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Patrick1234 

You should get a text from here saying there's a port request. Immediately send a message to the moderator team saying it's not a valid request.

But with response times of the moderators the number _could_ go but you should be able to get it back.

This is why it's important not to share your personal information. Vital stats, license #'s etc.

You can only really do defense. The ne'r'do'wells are on straight offense.

Hey experts out there...since there's no one to call here...if this happens...could the customer use the Telus toll free porting support #?

Not an expert, but I would say: No, you cannot use the Telus porting center for help.

They can help to complete a port. As they do not have access to your Public Mobile account, I think they cannot provide assistance to get your number back.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick1234  The answer is you can't. If another individual has your account number, name on the account and your phone number they can setup a port and port your number out to another provider fairly easily.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick1234 

You should get a text from here saying there's a port request. Immediately send a message to the moderator team saying it's not a valid request.

But with response times of the moderators the number _could_ go but you should be able to get it back.

This is why it's important not to share your personal information. Vital stats, license #'s etc.

You can only really do defense. The ne'r'do'wells are on straight offense.

Hey experts out there...since there's no one to call here...if this happens...could the customer use the Telus toll free porting support #?

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Have you encountered a problem or lost your number? If yes, Moderators may be able to help you get it back.

Normally, you require the account number and full name exactly as registered on your account to be able to port your number to another carrier. For this reason, you should always keep this info private.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Are you talking about an account lock to prevent sim hijacking?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

I don't think another carrier can take your number without your ok.

Need Help? Let's chat.