cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How current is usage?

LenK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have already answered my own question, but I thought of it because the summary page says nothing about it. It appears to be very current.

It would be nice if the summary page gave you some idea of how current/old the numbers are.

Fido's page says 12 hours, pretty pathetic, especially for a major carrier. I get more current data from a relatively unknown ISP at our cottage.

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LenK wrote:

Fido's page says 12 hours, pretty pathetic, especially for a major carrier. I get more current data from a relatively unknown ISP at our cottage.

@LenK Fido recently switched to real-time, at least for data.

RealTimeData.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

angeliquem
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LenK wrote:

I have already answered my own question, but I thought of it because the summary page says nothing about it. It appears to be very current.

It would be nice if the summary page gave you some idea of how current/old the numbers are.

In my experience it's pretty current (by the hour).

For real-time usage, I would use the data manager that your device has. (iOS, reset your monthly usage every month, not sure about Anrdroid devices).

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can also download data-monitoring apps which will monitor data in real time.

Here is one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

I hear it is quite good.

Tags (0)

LenK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on the 50/50 plan, so not concerned about data, contrary to most users with other plans. No availability of a text add-on is pretty sad, especially when, I am guessing here, it consumes next to nothing in resources.

As an aside I have 3Gb of data free from Fido for 2 years, because I called to cancel that data plan. The employee who gave me the free data probably got fired, judging by what I heard on the news today about how employees that help customers reduce their costs are treated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LenK wrote:

To your suggestion...I agree.

Something like: Updated 00:00. Next update 01:00

But I think the talk and text usage is pretty fast. Data does seem to have a delay for some reason.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's hard to say @LenK how current the data is. Sometimes it shows up right away and at other times it takes a while for the data to reflect actual usage. However, the Overall Data Usage might be more accurate as to how much was used compared to the more detailed breakdown under Usage History.

Nonetheless, there have been some recommended applications that help users track their data usage. There is My Data Manager on iOS and Data Witness for Android that is recommended on the Public Mobile forums.

Here is a previous thread with some more information and alternative methods to track data:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-data-usage/ta-p/152760

I don't have an exact number for you, but it's definitely better than every 12 hours here.  This is me just saying this based on non-scientific observations of my Public Mobile's reporting of amount of data used affter running some speed tests.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@LenK wrote:

I know data usage is updated a couple of times a day but I think calls and texts is done pretty frequently

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.