cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How could there be data usage when I'm on Wi-Fi for the whole time?

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Data Add-Ons
 NameData Limit* (MB)Data Used** (MB)Remaining Data (MB)Status
8.5GB at 3G Speed87045.3718698.629

It is my renewal day today, and I'm at home with Wi-Fi all the time.

Where is the data usage from? 

I don't see any data consumption in the system setting. 

And my phone doesn't have any download acceleration with both Wi-Fi and data on. 

Any possible explanation?

14 REPLIES 14

Jbanks1989
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sometimes, even on wifi, your phone can activate the data to upload things faster. On the iPhone I know there’s an option to stop the phone from doing this

eugenegowan

If you have an Iphone you need to go to settings --> Cellular --> Cellular Data --> And then swipe it off. If it is on an android phone you need to go to settings --> More Networks --> Mobile Networks --> Then tap mobile to enable or disable. Hope this helps 🙂

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you are on an iPhone, keep in mind WIFI assist can use data.

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A couple of scenarios below, which may explain it.

If you sent/received a MMS text message; it uses a bit of data.

If you reboot your phone, it will connect to your data service first & wifi afterwards; it could also consume a little in this case.

Your wifi connection may have been interrupted (example: ran the microwave); your phone dropped back to data for a bit.

zork1984

I saw something similar when I got activated - a few MB counted.  Like others said, it is small amount that did not bother me (less than 1% and I only have 1GB plan).  I noticed that too when I was with Koodo prepaid - so it seems like the backend always seems to use/count a few MB more.

joepublic

@hzmy wrote:
Data Add-Ons

And my phone doesn't have any download acceleration with both Wi-Fi and data on. 

@hzmymy guess it that miniscule of data is used up by PM for admin purposes every time you Data gets renewed and I'm assuming that it cannot be done over WiFi so that is why it uses data.

To verify it might be worthwhile to send a private message to @CS_Agent . Please let us know your findings. Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@janvier wrote:

On some phones you have the option to turn off just data instead of going to airplane mode. On my LG G4 this can be set in the pull-down menu so it's quick and easy. 

Do you mean that you can turn off just data to reset the Public Mobile buffer and see that effect on the overview page? My phone doesn't. Or it could take several hours if not overnight to reset. I just let it do its thing now, but I found airplane mode would reset it..not just data off.

You're on an 8.5 GB/30-day cycle, you have more than enough data to waste, this is as described above, a buffer, and it is so small, it won't ever send you over your limit.

I'm very mindful of my data, and as I lave less than you per 30-day cycle, I wouldn't even care about this tiny amount.

janvier
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On some phones you have the option to turn off just data instead of going to airplane mode. On my LG G4 this can be set in the pull-down menu so it's quick and easy. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@hzmy 

Please read this thread. It is referred to as ghost data.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/quot-Ghost-Data-quot-Usage-history-droppin...

Set your phone to airplane mode, it probably vanishes.

Airplane mode is what I did to reset and clear the buffer. My phone will check email boxes. So I pre-checked them to make sure there wasn't anything there. Then I turned on data. The phone does a check but there's nothing to download. But technically some packets went back and forth. I checked the counter. 5-odd mb's. Turned off data. Flipped in and out of airplane mode. Checked the counter. 80 kb's or some such small number.

@hzmy wrote:
Data Add-Ons

Personally, I've seen a similar number around 5 to 6MB pretty much immedaitely after the count resets, and I also believe that it's the same number each time. I just find that the amount is so small that I don't feel the need to look into it.  

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@hzmy 

Please read this thread. It is referred to as ghost data.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/quot-Ghost-Data-quot-Usage-history-droppin...

Set your phone to airplane mode, it probably vanishes.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@hzmy Some apps can be set to always use data. And it may have disconnected for a few minutes and used data during that time instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hzmy wrote:
Data Add-Ons

Check out the decimal point. That's likely just a little held buffer of data. So basically...nothing.

Need Help? Let's chat.