cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are the top community rewards really decided?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

My theory is that they are decided by some form of commitee made of some or all the Oracle's and 2 to 3 moderators. Everyone know that its the Canadian thing, one of these dates, we are going to form a commitee to comment on what a commitee truly is. Any way, I digress. 

The criteria seems to value solutions authored, based on what was said in January Rewards announcement.  It's also probably based to some extent on participation ( board views, bravos earned/given., questions asked etc).

However the ultimate decision on who gets what is this comittee. Which makes it all the more peculiar that they are going the way of the Trump, by being less transparent and not releasing the winners list as in previous months.

11 REPLIES 11

We can only speculate.

It does seem awfully easy to score Top 50% or Top 25%, just ask a couple questions and maybe answer a couple more. It seems progressively more difficult to score the higher tiers, Top % is invariably awarded only to those who've worked all the badges and consistently accumulate numbers like 1000+ Bravos.

I wouldn't really bother being worried about it. Always nice to save a buck but if it was really about the fistful of loonies then we'd earn more by scavenging cans and bottles or by working a newspaper delivery route, lol.

@Korth wrote:

And, I've always suspected, there's some human bias involved - opinions and judgements applied to nudge some people with borderline merits into adjacent Top % categories.

I can't prove this, but I believe that the reward calculations are almost completely automated. If there was a human involved, some of the past nonsense wouldn't have happened.  I can tell you that intervention is possible, but usually doesn't happen unless there's a complaint about very obvious gaming. Unfortunately, the system can be tricked.

Whatever PM's secret community reward formula might be, it has apparently changed (and continues to change) over time.

It used to be comparatively easy to rack up enough Posts and Bravos and Solutions to assure a place within the Top % Rewards.

It seems to now be weighted into the total volume of Posts and Bravos and Solutions, individual numbers aren't as relevant as how they score within the "average" population curve.

And, I've always suspected, there's some human bias involved - opinions and judgements applied to nudge some people with borderline merits into adjacent Top % categories.

PM deliberately avoids publishing specific details. Because they don't want it gamified and exploited. And because, I think, a lack of transparency allows them leeway to fudge things around - it does involve money and their business, after all. Although it seems obvious that Oracles get assigned a fixed Oracle Reward in place of variable Community Rewards.

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@buiya wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Is this a conspiracy theory?  Do we need tinfoil hats?  If Oracle's are involved they have kept it a secret from me lol. There is no committee as you mention we have nothing to do with who gets what.  

The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight ClubSmiley Wink

Great movie!! I know PM gives me a $20 rewards but that isn't enough for me to lie to people if they ask a question about if I have any roll in community rewards.  If there is ever a post or question about the Oracle's I always answer nothing to hide.  If I was able to play a part in it there would have been times in the past when some who got rewards wouldn't have

I am going to break guidance and weigh in on a solutioned troll thread.  I say this is a troll thread because this question has been over asked in this forum and the context surrounding the initiation of this thread is fishy.  You were being baited to speak up.  Your frankness means you have been dropped from the Christmas gift list, lol. 

That is ok no one here on my list either.  The topic does come up every once and awhile and I don't see an issue with responding with the facts that I have

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@buiya wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Is this a conspiracy theory?  Do we need tinfoil hats?  If Oracle's are involved they have kept it a secret from me lol. There is no committee as you mention we have nothing to do with who gets what.  

The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight ClubSmiley Wink

Great movie!! I know PM gives me a $20 rewards but that isn't enough for me to lie to people if they ask a question about if I have any roll in community rewards.  If there is ever a post or question about the Oracle's I always answer nothing to hide.  If I was able to play a part in it there would have been times in the past when some who got rewards wouldn't have

I am going to break guidance and weigh in on a solutioned troll thread.  I say this is a troll thread because this question has been over asked in this forum and the context surrounding the initiation of this thread is fishy.  You were being baited to speak up.  Your frankness means you have been dropped from the Christmas gift list, lol. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma wrote:

My theory is that they are decided by some form of commitee made of some or all the Oracle's and 2 to 3 moderators.

AintNobodyGotTimeForThat.jpg

@buiya wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

buiya
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM has a secret formula that nobody knows.  It's like the receipe for KFC that people know about but don't know the special ingredients.  

[Correct answer marked to save all the angst ......... Luddite]

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I think PM runs a script to check the member participation during the past month using the secret formula. 

Oracles may have input on what parameters to included in the secret formula.  The final decision is PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.