cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Public Mobile assigned me wrong area

priss
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, so I signed up with Public Mobile half a year ago at London Drugs in Calgary downtown, I chose 403 area code. Since then I have been given a couple of feedback that my number is an overseas number when people tried to call me. I shrugged it off.

Today my director told me he incurred $15 charges last month because my number is registered in Canmore. 

I am pretty sure when I registered I listed my number as Calgary (unless the London drugs person selected wrongly)................. Is there anything I can do about this now or for as long as I stay in Calgary people have to call me overseas number? And yes, there are people without province-wide plan. I am also unwilling to change my phone number because I have a fantastic plan at the moment and it's a big hassle to change numbers.

7 REPLIES 7

@TheOldVR wrote:

Is there only one area code in Calgary?

Just PM a Mod and get things sorted....

As @popping, Calgary does have more than one area code, but all of the area codes that cover it are also used in different cities.

@priss wrote:

I am pretty sure when I registered I listed my number as Calgary (unless the London drugs person selected wrongly)................. Is there anything I can do about this now or for as long as I stay in Calgary people have to call me overseas number? And yes, there are people without province-wide plan. I am also unwilling to change my phone number because I have a fantastic plan at the moment and it's a big hassle to change numbers.

Customers can choose a phone number of the city they desire, but unfortunately, a specific city cannot be assigned to a phone number, nor can a number be registered to a different city as that is preset.

If you are unwilling to change your phone number, your phone number will to continue to be from Canmore.  That cannot be changed.  Your only option to get a Calgary number would be to change your phone number.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TheOldVR wrote:

Not quite. 

403 was for whole AB. 

Then, they made 403 for southern AB only. 

Then, 587 for whole AB. 

Now, I am seeing 825 area code in Calgary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_587_and_825

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@priss wrote:

Hello, so I signed up with Public Mobile half a year ago at London Drugs in Calgary downtown, I chose 403 area code. Since then I have been given a couple of feedback that my number is an overseas number when people tried to call me. I shrugged it off.

Today my director told me he incurred $15 charges last month because my number is registered in Canmore. 

There was an issue like this a few weeks ago.  Did you specifically ask for a 403 area code?  It was found out that PM does not have and 403 numbers in Calgary to issue and are using a new area code for Calgary.  If you asked for a 403 number the person at London Drugs may have picked a 403 number that was closest to you but would still require long distance calling.  If  you NEED to keep the 403 number you have it is something you will need to just deal with but you can change your number  yourself in your selfserve.  You do not need to change your plan so there are no worries there you would just need to notify your contacts of your number change.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@priss wrote:

@priss  You should be able to login into your selfserve and select a number change to a Cagary number so other people don't incur long distance charges.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@priss 

Send a private message to moderator because only moderator can access your account.  They may be able to fix it.

Moderator wait time is 2 - 3 days.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.