cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Issues with phone. Can't call Local, is seeing as Long Distance instead.

kaztak1937
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am a new Public Mobile user and experiencing this problem the first time.  I am also making local phone calls and is instead determined as Long distance.  Please help

13 REPLIES 13

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kaztak1937  All the new plans include Canada wide calling so there aren't any long distance charges. When dialing Canadian numbers you can ignore that warning message. Also a good idea to add a +1 in front of all your numbers in your contacts.

Rule of thumb: Public Mobile is strictly prepaid provider, so if it works and you haven't paid for it, it's free!! :smileyhappy:

@kaztak1937 wrote:

wow, okay, that is super short then

On the $15 plan, seconds are rounded up to the nearest minute. Checking voicemail from your phone will also use up outgoing minutes. You can use another phone to check your voicemail to save on minutes.

I am on the $15 plan and to save minutes I usually text the person to call me if I need to talk to them.

If you still have done data TextNow will give you free Canadian number and unlimited calls and texts to Canada and USA I use it a lot with my $15 plan.

If you are really a talker you may consider moving to $25. But if you use your data only to check mail from time to time and for TextNow (background data restricted) it really may work just fine

Can you tell us what is the area code you dialed

I had this problem when I missdials and was accidentally trying to call usa

@kaztak1937  the second set of numbers determine whether your phone number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. To determine if yours is please use the CNAC website to check your number  http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . If you determine that it isn't, and would like to change your number. You can do so from within your self service account once every 30 day cycle. 

20200325_014121.jpg

@kaztak1937 wrote:

There is a limit on outgoing calls?

If you've subscribed to the $15 plan, you have 100 minutes of Canada wide calling. If you run out of minutes you can also get the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on. Those minutes roll over until you've used them up. It's a good idea to get that add-on if you have a limited calling plan.

kaztak1937

wow, okay, that is super short then

kaztak1937

Sorry, it doesn't work with the 1 in front of the number.  It still considers it a long distance number even though its not.

Only for $15 plan

Limit is 100 minutes

If you're out of minutes you can either buy 500 minutes for $5, they roll over to next cycle and never expire, or if you still have some data or wifi at home you can download TextNow

If you have any other larger plan it's unlimited. The new plans are unlimited Canada (50 also USA) calling

kaztak1937

There is a limit on outgoing calls?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If you get the message that or charges may apply but the call goes through you can ignore it. If annoyed with it just use 1 in front of number.

If it won't dial unless you use 1 in front, please contact moderators https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Are you on the $15 plan and out of outgoing minutes? 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

Could you please elaborate what you mean by determined?

Does the call go through? Do you get messages that long distance charges may apply? Or does it disconnect?

Try dialing one in front

Need Help? Let's chat.