cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have PM account. Lost phone. Bought phone. What next?

Kyklist
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a Moto G 1st Gen phone working on PM.

Lost it.

Bought new Moto G 3rd Gen new phone at a Canadian Wal-mart.

I did not open the box yet.

The phone is in a Telus pre-paid box.

The box says SIM included.

Can I use this SIM or do I need to order a new one from PM?

Any other useful tips to get this phone working on my PM account?

Thank,

Richard

5 REPLIES 5

Kyklist
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am pretty sure I lost the phone in my house so I did not report lost just in case I find the phone later and then could use the sim and/or phone as a backup.

I received my sim card today so I hope I will get my new phone (Moto G 3rd G) working tonight or tomorrow. Lost phone was Moto G 1st G.  I like Moto G as Motorola provides Android updates.

Thank

Kyklist

@Kyklist One other suggestion: log into your self serve account and suspend your service under Lost/Stolen Phone. That way whoever finds your phone cannot use your service, or, since they will have your phone number, pretend to be you.

Then follow through with the other suggestions in this thread.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hello @Kyklist,

Telus sim card will not work with public mobile. The phone will work on PM without unlocking.

Order a free sim card from here:  https://store.publicmobile.ca/

If you are in a hurry, ask friends if they have an extra sim they can give you.  

Once you get a new sim card, sign into your account at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Click on "Plans and Add-ons" and then click on "Change Sim" and enter the serial number of the new sim card.  

Now place the new sim card in your new phone and you are good to go.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Since you lost your old phone, presumably you lost your old PM sim with it. So, yes you will need to order a new PM sim, the Telus sim that came with ithe new phone will not work for PM.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

PBForMe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Use your old PM sim, set the APN if needed for data, and that's it. 

If the sim is a different size and you don't have the punchout tri sim then you'll need a new one. 

EDIT: Noticed you lost your old phone, so yes you'll need a new sim. D'oh! Smiley Tongue

Need Help? Let's chat.