cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

@Karnbot13 

In my opinion previous to reading the two studies presented by yourself and @mobileuser I would think there is a significant cause and effect of increased device use on both mental and physical development of children and adolescents and lasting affects throughout adulthood. Primarily the effects are negative. A simple analysis could be made by comparing a 50 year old and a 20 year old making change from a $20 bill. Overwhelmingly the 20 year old requires the use of a calculator ( or a cash register) to make the correct calculation to make change and/or calculate the tax rates. This simple analysis is to show the differences the two adults experienced throughout childhood having instant access to a device that does the "thinking" for them or not and how it correlates to their individual cognitive developement or to put it simply their ability to figure things out on their own without the help of any kind of electronic device.

While I follow the reporting of scientific studies that affect the well being and health of humans and retain enough knowledge to be able to make broad based assumptions that are true ( higher sodium intake significantly increases your risk of heart disease and stroke). I read the first study provided by @mobileuser and was prepared to comment when your response and your study had appeared. I read your study and your stance that there is little research to substantiate  @mobileuser claims that limiting screen time by a parent is in the interest of the preventing possible mental and physical development of children being impaired by overuse of electronic devices and increased screen time.

I find it interesting in rebuttal you choose study with limited results but with an overall conclusion that the use of the internet in school, at home and in the community could not draw a definitive conclusion to its negative effects with a slight correlation to a possible increased benefit. The study was done because there was little previous conclusive studies beforehand and determined larger research studies would need to be done in the future to get a better analysis of the effect.

@mobileuser study had a definitive conclusion of the negative affects on the mental well being of children with medium to high screen time amounts compared to no or low screen time amounts.

The two studies have big differences that negates your argument.

1.  @Karnbot13 study was conducted and then published in 2010.  Basically before the emergence of smartphones and social media and the increased use of instant (text) messaging in daily life.
  2. @mobileuserstudy was conducted and then published in 2018. A lifetime in the terms of the development of portable electronic devices, their abilities and their entrenchment of their use in daily life compared to before 2010.
  3. @Karnbot13  study was a select sampling of 91 children with an average age of 10. Both the children and parents/teachers responded to study questions.
  4. @mobileuser  study was conducted with a broad based sampling of over 40,000 children aged from toddlers to adolescents up to the age of 17. Observational behavior was reported by the children over 7, younger children's caregivers, parents and teachers.
  5. @Karnbot13  study was based on internet use of visiting websites, educational and noneducational based games accessed via the internet, email and instant messaging accessed via the internet.
  6. @mobileuser  study was based on screen time across all types of electronic devices and included text and instant messaging, social media, gaming devices both handheld and stand alone, traditional internet use such as email and television and/or video viewing.
  7. @Karnbot13  study had low reporting of overall use of the internet. High use was in approximately 15% of the study participants.
  8. @mobileuser  study reported a high use of devices and screen time with little or no use reported in about 10% of respondents.

Your choices and opinion and how you parent is your own and unless it contravenes the law is entirely up to you. But to present an argument that there is very little conclusive research and evidence to support @mobileuser  parenting stance on limiting screen time for the benefit of their children based on a decade old study is just plain.....stupid. I would have thought you could find a better research study than the one you presented unless you were counting on no one reading either study to make a legitimate comparison between the two.