cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

@ckkong 

I have two phones and two accounts. Originally the smartphone was my late partners. The phone was supplied by freedom on an unlimited Canada wide calling, texting and data plan for $40 per month post paid. $4 was deducted each month from the $40 to pay for the phone over two years. I don't remember the original cost of the LG phone but for a total cost of $96 It was a pretty good deal. There were no overages unless roaming which was kept off. The only problem I had was the lack of coverage and the the poor signal at home but all in all I was happy with the price. I had a prepaid flip phone on a post paid plan with telus. Telus gave me a credit on my bill (for loyalty) to purchase the phone (twice...once when the phone just died and once when it took a bath in a sinkful of soaking dishes.) Both times a came out ahead because the phone was $40 cheaper than the credit. The telus plan was $35 with 300 anytime minutes, free 7pm-7am, five free friend numbers to call but all local, free texting, data block, call waiting, forwarding, conference and voice mail. When the LG phone screen went all psychedelic and unusable and freedom no longer offered a a phone i wanted and added $15 a month to your bill i went around the corner to foreign electronics and bought my dual sim unlocked samsung galaxy A3 for about $400.

Comparing plans there wasn't much to save with anyone except when I happened upon public mobile. Tired of spending every weekend at the lake with no service with the smartphone and trying to text on a flip phone I switched from freedom to public mobile. Saving $2 for basically the same plan with Auto pay but gaining an entire country of coverage. Due for a new flip phone at 5 years of age I phoned telus loyalty for my same deal...no go. They wanted to charge me $4 extra a month on a contract (something I have refused to do for 20 years) for two years! That would $96 for a $70 phone. This is the loyalty I get after 20 years? Soon after I switched that phone to public mobile.

I went from $75+tax for two accounts to $36 (w/a promo and autopay). Add in my referrals and community reward I have an out of pocket cost of $8 per month. When my promo is over and I switch to either the $25 plan it will cost $3 per month for the two accounts or if I switch to the $15 I will be building a credit of $7 per month. There is no question when comparing providers that public mobile is the cheapest choice.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I’d honestly like to get back to the level of rewards where I can move to the higher data plan cause I’d easily live on 5 gigs vs 1.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@XionBunny wrote:

I’d honestly like to get back to the level of rewards where I can move to the higher data plan cause I’d easily live on 5 gigs vs 1.

There is $15 difference between the 1GB and 5GB plans.

By summer, you will get $1 loyalty.  Getting another 14 referrals may take some time.  It is doable.  PM plan will sell itself during a promotion.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can tell you right off the bat that Public is better than Telus. Can you believe they charged little ol' me $45 a month? :'(

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@mattz wrote:

I can tell you right off the bat that Public is better than Telus. Can you believe they charged little ol' me $45 a month? :'(

@mattz  Oh I can believe that....once finding public mobile we just can't believe we accepted paying the price our former providers charged us for so long!

Highlighted

I  had 2 accounts with Telus prepaid on a loyalty plan. 

$100 + taxes each

Gave us free calls to each of us BUT only in our calling area. 

10 cents a minute calls send and receive 

50 cents more for LD

50 cents a text send and receive 

Then I had to keep a balance of $50 a year to cover 10 cents a minute calls and for all the 50 cent texts. We told everyone to NOT text us as it was less $ to phone at 10 cents a minute. . One text usually leads to three in total.....so $1.50 equates to 15 minutes of call time which would not likely be 15 minutes. 

So when I figured out Telus prepaid to PM......PM was a little less “COMPARED” to the Telus usage.

But look how much MORE I gained 100 outbound minutes free, 250 mb of data, all inbound minutes free, all texts unlimited free per every 30 days. AND no long distance charges as all minutes are Canada wide. Texting includes pic texting and texts are international. Along with some great add ons that carry over month to month. Along with some addons for using in USA. It is a no brainer PM is the best for retired folks, first users, and experienced users. Not to mention the pre Christmas freebies!! And the help is fantastic in the community and from the Mods. Mod wait for the few times I used, took about 3-4 hours to resolve. And that was NOT sitting on the phone for an hour waiting for some one to answer. If you can live with the latter and self serve.....PM is fantastic! The only safe guarding I put in place is....I set up auto pay for the $2 off but I always top up my account with the credit card on file so auto pay never kicks in but I retain the $2 off per month. And lastly, I have recruited 5 customers and along with auto pay I pay $8 for my $15 plan. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@iPhoneUser  Its hard to beat a phone bill that's under $100 a year! The average telus user pays $1000 per year!

Highlighted

@darlicious wrote:

@iPhoneUser  Its hard to beat a phone bill that's under $100 a year! The average telus user pays $1000 per year!

🙂🙂I am NOT average....I am above average (in best value, not to over buy)🙂🙂

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Telus prepaid now has $35 unlimited Canada wide calling and Text.

But for $35 Publicmobile includes bonus picture text +1 gb data.

Great value and if step up to $40 plan less $2 auto reward  +5 gb data.

Boom goes the dynamite!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@farmbot 

$25 not $35 for PM with unlimited Canada calling and text plus 1Gb data....

AE_Collector