cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haha koodo just got worse

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

At least for now. They were advertising 5 gigs for 50 per month. Now they're advertising 4 gigs for 55. Wow really?! Lol. Their rate plans have increased too... I guess since they screwed me over I have this desire to keep an eye on what they're offering new customers to see if it's any better then their "loyalty" plan they offered me before switching... So the world's in crisis and they increase rates. Nice! 

27 REPLIES 27

@Pawprints1986  Koodo and fido are the bottom feeders of providers as far as I'm concerned they can fight it out at the bottom of the barrel.....for their business practices.

Pawprints1986

So, they're throwing data at people, yet they have this new stipulation that you can't have a data add on, not even a personal one offered through text, reinstated because in order to add a data add on, your plan must already have data in it, which defeated the whole purpose for me as I was trying to add my personal $5 data add on back to their now defunct $25 unlimited talk and text promo, and there was literally nothing they would do for me other than charge me even more than initially for a plan already having 1 gig in it. My initial plan with them had 200 anytime minutes with unlimited evening and weekend, and then with my personal data add on (funny, they could add data to that expired plan...) So I thought why not take them up on that offer, then I'm unlimited with 1 gig of   data that's perfect for me....

.... but they ultimately did nothing so that's why I'm here... After 8 years with them too really took me by suprise! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nezgar wrote:

I would have thought something like "Shaw Mobility" or the more trendy "Shaw Mobile" would have been a much more recognizable brand...

@Nezgar these days, Shaw has a stronger brand presence in western Canada than central and eastern.  Also, it isn't always a positive sentiment.  The whole concept of "Freedom" around your mobility has a lot of positive connotations.  I think I can see why they went this direction.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@darlicious hi I don't think he wants to take the chance of losing it but yea it.s something to consider🤔

@RossN  Can your son switch to a $25 plan for a couple of months while we are stuck inside and switch back to the $55 10gb plan when the crisis is over?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 I agree that they try and screw you over but my son got very lucky just before the world fell apart I called about his 50 dollar 4 gig plan about to tell them that he was coming here and they gave him 10 gigs for 55 so of course he jumped on it unfortunately he can't use much of it because we are all stuck in the house for the most part lol

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Isn't this why the smart money is here.

Rusty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah bud, this is why PM is good.

When you run out of minutes or data, it just stops. And I would rather that than overage charges.

Pawprints1986

Isn't it stressful having to keep such a close eye on how many minutes used, data used, etc? Instead of knowing it's there?

@mpcdesign   It's a throwback to the build your own plan....gives you more control over your features and how you use them. There's no waste of your "plan features" with the one size fits all approach the current plans have....not that there's anything wrong with that! Tomorrow I will throw away almost 4gb of plan data......actually I'm going for a bike ride and I'm going to play YouTube music all day long......just to burn it up. Maybe ill do random speed tests at scenic benches along the seawall!

@darlicious, for someone who said they are not tech savvy, I call this last post BS! hhehe

gawd, that seems so much work though! 

@mpcdesign  If you are considering downgrading to the $25 because you don't need 5gb of data especially if you are at home a lot on WiFi....consider what I have told others In regards to choosing a plan would depend on your data usage and your outgoing calling usage. If you have variable data usage month over month and don't need to talk a lot by calling out choosing the $15 plan and stacking several discounted 1gb data add ons and the $5/500min calling add on makes a lot of sense with an upfront investment. For $30 you get 1.25 1gb of data of which 1gb of unused data will roll over every month. Instead of $25 for 1gb of plan data that resets used or not. Simply put unlimited texts and incoming calling, 200 min outgoing (100 min roll over) and 350gb of data (100gb roll over) would raise the $15 plan to $17.50 ($15.50 w/autopay) with each additional 100gb of data costing $1.50 per month. This would make a great variable data/calling plan averaged w/autopay $20 650mb/200 outgoing minutes. A nice DIY plan!

I would have thought something like "Shaw Mobility" or the more trendy "Shaw Mobile" would have been a much more recognizable brand...

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai , when Shaw bought Wind Mobile Canada, they did not buy the brand name.  That remains with the old owner which runs on the Wind Mobile brand name in other countries.  

What would Shaw have done with a worthless brand? When Shaw made this purchase, I feel that they wanted to customers and the network, but wanted to distance themselves as far a way as possible form the Wind reputation.

@Korth wrote:

Freedom Mobile is good for people who call a lot from a Freedom Zone to a Freedom Zone, who use moderate or heavy data in a Freedom Zone, who don't need to interact with phones outside the Zone. Which is actually a lot of people overall. But people outside the Zone (ie; the other 99% of Canadians) are better off choosing of the Big Three tiers.

I've noticed that all of Freedom's plans are now promoted as "National" plans, with no more "freedom zone" restrictions. I'm curious if you know how is service affected when roaming off of the native network? (I presume on Rogers).

Is it like rogers "Extended" network? From my experience with Rogers "extended" network in Saskatchewan (SaskTel) They will cut you off if more than something like 50% of your usage is on the extended network, you only get a throttled 3G data service, I recall it was in the order of 300-500kbps)

@NDesai , when Shaw bought Wind Mobile Canada, they did not buy the brand name.  That remains with the old owner which runs on the Wind Mobile brand name in other countries.  

Pawprints1986

@Jb456 still crazy though isn't it? Unless I ditched Wi-Fi entirely (which maybe is what people do now?) I would never use even the 3 gig

Pawprints1986

@LovesToPM that's definitely better... Lol. The hope is with my included 1 gig I'll never need it but still good to know just in case 

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

The charges for data too, it's quite insane. It costs pennies to provide. (Even here as an add on, sorry pm but 30 bucks for a gig is too much)

When I was shopping around I had a hard time finding  low data plans at all, let alone affordable ones (in my eyes 45$ that they're asking for the 1 gig is the opposite of affordable. I'll take my included gig at 3g for 23$ from here, thank you! Lol. Thankfully I'm not streaming movies or anything)

Others have noticed that the 1 GB Data-On has dropped to $15... that's the price for now in case anyone feels the need to grab some.

Pawprints1986

The charges for data too, it's quite insane. It costs pennies to provide. (Even here as an add on, sorry pm but 30 bucks for a gig is too much)

When I was shopping around I had a hard time finding  low data plans at all, let alone affordable ones (in my eyes 45$ that they're asking for the 1 gig is the opposite of affordable. I'll take my included gig at 3g for 23$ from here, thank you! Lol. Thankfully I'm not streaming movies or anything)

@mpcdesign 

Freedom Mobile is good for people who call a lot from a Freedom Zone to a Freedom Zone, who use moderate or heavy data in a Freedom Zone, who don't need to interact with phones outside the Zone. Which is actually a lot of people overall. But people outside the Zone (ie; the other 99% of Canadians) are better off choosing of the Big Three tiers.

@mpcdesign wrote:

@NDesai, isn't that Wind aka Freedom Mobile is for?

People will never forget how crappy Freedom service was in terms of coverage. I was with them for 3 full days lol. There is a reason they ended up changing the name after Shaw took over. Even then, its still trying to recover from the bad rep. Once they get enough people on board with solid coverage, they will chime in as well. We all are just being played one way or another. The price we pay for cellular services is way too much if you compare with other countries. Even kids these days are on big 3 brands. I guess they probably don't pay so they don't care.

@NDesai wrote:

It's a joke how providers keep raising price and come up with many different ways to charge extra fees. Not just Koodo, but other providers follow the same trend. One day the price comes down and then they start looking for ways to earn from elsewhere. Koodo is definitely going down the hill since they increased price on Tabs and changed bunch of terms on phone sales. I wish everyone quickly move down to 3rd tier carriers, it would be interesting to see what they would do. 

They can't move quickly enough. Still got to wait until their 2 year contract runs its course.

@NDesai, isn't that Wind aka Freedom Mobile is for?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It's a joke how providers keep raising price and come up with many different ways to charge extra fees. Not just Koodo, but other providers follow the same trend. One day the price comes down and then they start looking for ways to earn from elsewhere. Koodo is definitely going down the hill since they increased price on Tabs and changed bunch of terms on phone sales. I wish everyone quickly move down to 3rd tier carriers, it would be interesting to see what they would do. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Telecoms want customers to help pay for the upcoming upgrades for 5G.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986, actually I was debating in switching plans to go down from 5gigs to a lame 1 gig instead. Go from $40 to $25 or less? 

Since am staying safe and staying home, I really don't need the higher plan either. Granted, it would be a cost-saver for me too. I am just looking at the bigger picture down the road as a freelancer. 

Need Help? Let's chat.