cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group texting only available on data

buntaeiji
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, I'm using an iPhone with iOS 11 and Public Mobile 32.0. I didn't realize this issue until today. Some of my co-workers group texted me and I was unable to receive the messages. I was basically in a WiFi environment today. I only got the messages because I was out for a minute and turned on data accidentally, then I got the messages with that exact time post. There's obviously something wrong because they were talking about things taking shifts hours ago. These were not iMessage. Is there anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@buntaeiji you might want to try a different data-based app that works across platforms (iPhone & Android) and over Wi-Fi.  WhatsApp is great for group messaging.  I've never tried group messaging on Facebook Messenger but imagine it's available too.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Correct. Group messages are all sent with MMS. If all users in the group are iOS users, may be then it would be over iMessage chat. I suspect there are some Android users or some with iMessage disabled in the group, and so group messages are sent with MMS which requires data to be turned on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@buntaeiji, Yes, MMS requires a data connection.  However, as stated, the data used for MMS does not get counted towards yoiur monthly data plan.  In fact, you don't even need a data plan.  you just need to have a proper connection to the data network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@buntaeiji wrote:

Does MMS only work with data? WiFi not applicable? Is it only like this with PM or it happens to other carriers as well? I usually turn off data because I'm mostly on WiFi. That could be really inconvenient 😞

Yes. No. All.

It's how it is.

buntaeiji
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@wetcoaster wrote:

@buntaeiji wrote:

Hi all, I'm using an iPhone with iOS 11 and Public Mobile 32.0. I didn't realize this issue until today. Some of my co-workers group texted me and I was unable to receive the messages. I was basically in a WiFi environment today. I only got the messages because I was out for a minute and turned on data accidentally, then I got the messages with that exact time post. There's obviously something wrong because they were talking about things taking shifts hours ago. These were not iMessage. Is there anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

It looks like the message got modified to MMS format due to multiple recipients.

You need data on to receive MMS but it will not be deducted from your data bucket.

Does MMS only work with data? WiFi not applicable? Is it only like this with PM or it happens to other carriers as well? I usually turn off data because I'm mostly on WiFi. That could be really inconvenient 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

@buntaeiji wrote:

A quick look around and it appears maybe group texting flips into MMS mode. Thus the need for cell data (but it's not metered here).

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@buntaeiji wrote:

It looks like the message got modified to MMS format due to multiple recipients.

You need data on to receive MMS but it will not be deducted from your data bucket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@buntaeiji, Text messages (SMS) do not require a data connection.  That said, iOS does override some SMS stuff.  In some cases, if it knows that the recipient is on iOS, it will reroute messages through iMessage (or whatever it is called).  I don't know if iMessage needs a data connection (I can't immagine why), but basically, your problem is with Apple/iOS.  I'm sure there are some iOS people around here who can explain better/help with this.

Need Help? Let's chat.