cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RMF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Going to Florida 72 year old senior all muddled up - please help.

When I was with Rogers, I used to have two cell phones one for Florida (am snowbird) and one for Toronto.  Now I have a smartphone and will be using the same phone by changing SIM cards.  (I will pay for Public all year as wish to retain number, that is not my question.) My question is, for reasons I won't waste your time with, I may want to wait about a week till I change to my American provider after I arrive in Florida.  So can I use Public Mobile service in Florida and make calls to Toronto and send texts to Toronto on it and can I call other Florida numbers and send texts to Florida numbers.  If yes, do I need to make arrangements with Public in advance.  I am just sooooo confused about it all, i.e. how would I pay for these extras etc.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Going to Florida 72 year old senior all muddled up - please help.

First you would need to know whether you can get service in the area of Florida you are in. I am not aware of coverage in Florida, but someone else will.

Secondly, you'll need a 10 day US plan. There are a few to choose from, depending if you need data or not. I'll post the available plans in a few minutes if someone doesn't beat me to it.

@RMF 

You cannot used your Public Mobile service in Florida unless you have a roaming add-on package or have the $60 plan that includes U.S. roaming.

usplans.PNG

Here's a few options. $15 plan would be best without data.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There are no US roaming addon plans lasting longer than 10 days.

Not sure how the $60 monthly plan works. If USA calls are included for roaming in that plan?? I know you get 2gig of data while roaming in USA but don't know about calling/texting? Maybe some else knows that part???

You could purchase a 10 day roaming plan for your first 10 days in Florida before switching to a USA sim.

You could also do this...if you have auto pay on... remove autopay.....and once your renewal date comes up..don't pay it and don't have any funds in balance....your account will be out to suspended status.

It can remain suspended for 90 days before you loose your number ....so maybe just keep track of how many days your in Florida from renewal and at 80 day mark.. reactive your account to make it active again...it will save you two months of payments since you will be in USA using a US provider.

Here's a how to for purchasing addons by @srlawren. It's a two step process, add the $$, then select the plan. Make sure you select the one you want. People often get confused and choose the wrong one.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974/hig...

And if it hasn't been made clear, you'll have to sign up for it just before you leave canada. The 10 days starts the day you purchased it and even if you purchase it at 11:59 pm, that minute will count as day 1 as I understand.

Lar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@RMF   Or to muddy the waters more, you could forget all the addons and use a smartphone app to make Wifi calls to anywhere in north America, from anywere in north America.  I use google Hangouts app which if you have an android phone may already be installed.  The only thing you will not have with this is a phone  number for someone to call back but that can be worked arouind with an email sent from them. Other members may have other apps they use which will get you call back number. Free wifi is everywhere now.  Best of luck.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lar wrote:

@RMF   Or to muddy the waters more, you could forget all the addons and use a smartphone app to make Wifi calls to anywhere in north America, from anywere in north America.  I use google Hangouts appj jwhich if you have an android phone may already be installed.  The only thing you will not have with this is a phone  number for someone to call back but that can be worked arouind with an email sent from them. Other members may have other apps they use which will get you call back number. Free wifi is everywhere now.  Best of luck.

I was going to suggest a wifi calling app as well but I have alot of snowbirds in my family and I presume the OP is just like them and they drive down to Florida for the winter months like most snowbirds do. I presume OP would want an active plan for their drive and not have to depend on WIFI stops. (I could be wrong though) but nice suggestion LAR! 😁