cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Florida 72 year old senior all muddled up - please help.

RMF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I was with Rogers, I used to have two cell phones one for Florida (am snowbird) and one for Toronto.  Now I have a smartphone and will be using the same phone by changing SIM cards.  (I will pay for Public all year as wish to retain number, that is not my question.) My question is, for reasons I won't waste your time with, I may want to wait about a week till I change to my American provider after I arrive in Florida.  So can I use Public Mobile service in Florida and make calls to Toronto and send texts to Toronto on it and can I call other Florida numbers and send texts to Florida numbers.  If yes, do I need to make arrangements with Public in advance.  I am just sooooo confused about it all, i.e. how would I pay for these extras etc.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

25 REPLIES 25

RMF

@Luddite wrote:

@RMF Aplogies if I confuse things more. I think you want to:

a) maintain service in Canada so people who call your Canadian number can continue to do that,

b) pickup your Canadian messages while in Florida

c) have some "emergency" service, including data, for a while in Florida until your internet and local phone has been set up.

The simplest slickest, but not necessarily cheapest, solution I suggest is the following:

a) go to fongo.com, get free account and turn on their voicemail to email service

b) buy the $60 US/Canada PM plan a few days before you leave as it gives you unlimited calling throughout USA/Canada and 2 GB data for 30 days; turn on call forwarding to the fongo number

c) continue with b) until your Florida internet and local phone are working, then

d) switch your PM plan to the $15 one for unlimited incoming calls and purchase the $5 500 minute add-on; be sure to leave autopay ON

Any calls to your PM number will go to fongo. Fongo will send you an email whenever someone leaves a message and you can play it whenever you wish.

When you get back to Canada buy the PM plan that suits your normal presence.

If you want to set this up but are confused send me a private message with your phone number and we can discuss it.

BTW: If you are not wedded to your Florida number, the absolutely simplest approach is the $60 plan for all the time you are in Florida. Though, it would mean Florida friends would need to call your PM number to reach you.

Hi thanks for all your suggestions, but that is way to complicated for me - at this point,

willing to pay a bit more in exchange for the most straightforward solution that I can understand which equals less stress.....although I think Public Mobile's pricing is amazing anyway!!  Yes, must have a dedicated Florida number as have many friends there and a lot of them don't have plans that include free calling to Canada. But I really appreciate the time you spent with me.

@RMF Aplogies if I confuse things more. I think you want to:

a) maintain service in Canada so people who call your Canadian number can continue to do that,

b) pickup your Canadian messages while in Florida

c) have some "emergency" service, including data, for a while in Florida until your internet and local phone has been set up.

The simplest slickest, but not necessarily cheapest, solution I suggest is the following:

a) go to fongo.com, get free account and turn on their voicemail to email service

b) buy the $60 US/Canada PM plan a few days before you leave as it gives you unlimited calling throughout USA/Canada and 2 GB data for 30 days; turn on call forwarding to the fongo number

c) continue with b) until your Florida internet and local phone are working, then

d) switch your PM plan to the $15 one for unlimited incoming calls and purchase the $5 500 minute add-on; be sure to leave autopay ON

Any calls to your PM number will go to fongo. Fongo will send you an email whenever someone leaves a message and you can play it whenever you wish.

When you get back to Canada buy the PM plan that suits your normal presence.

If you want to set this up but are confused send me a private message with your phone number and we can discuss it.

BTW: If you are not wedded to your Florida number, the absolutely simplest approach is the $60 plan for all the time you are in Florida. Though, it would mean Florida friends would need to call your PM number to reach you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@RMF wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@RMF 

First of all, thank you sooooo much for all the replies. What a lovely community!!

I am aware of things like Whatsapp but it won't work.  I am involved in an organization where we send out a lot of emails and need replies.  Texting is used to say "Hey I sent you an email please respond" and it works really well.  Also I want to keep my Toronto cell number alive while I am gone, (tho I may temporarioly switch to a cheaper plan) because although the SIM card is not in the phone I am hoping this way I can still check for voicemail, as I can with my Florida number without the SIM card in......can I do that with Public Mobile if I pay all year round? (Not everyone knows I am away).

The 10 day add-on is looking good.  The reason I want it is I have Magic Jack which has

taken care of my Toronto calls in the past.  But the retirement community has just ended

their contract with Comcast after 15 years, and signed up with a new company.  When I go down instead of just ordering internet to be ready for when I get there, have to have condo rewired by new cable company so am trying to have a back up plan.

I like to have a little data, which I just turn on when there is no wifi to check my emails, so think the $20.00 plan would suffice nicely. 

@RMF  Sounds good!

So can I call Canada directly without dialing another number first (like Tracfone makes you do). 

That is correct just dial +1 and the number.

Also if people in Toronto phone or text

me, will it be long distance for them. 

No, it will be a local call.

Thanks again everyone and I WILL take Simon up on his offer!!

Sounds good! Smiley Happy

Thanks good to know!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@RMF wrote:

I always call remotely now, to save an outgoing call, but I call my own number then

press star and enter my password!!

Yes RMF you can do that to 🤣 

RMF

@darlicious wrote:

@RMF wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Wow that's a lot of info to filter thru to make a decision. As you don't mind paying for your phone while you are in Florida it is probably best to simply change your plan to the $10 50/50 call and text  set up to change on your next renewal date closest to when you leave... A day before is ok but just about anytime after...it will only cost $8 A month with Auto pay. The day you are leaving/entering the U.S. purchase the $15 us roaming call/text plan. You can have previously have added the funds +tax to your account so you just have to add it to your plan. The one slightly tricky thing to do would be to put your voicemail on extended absence.  You can then record a message with your Florida number for people to call or text you on. Just do this before you switch SIM cards and your roaming runs out. I can find the thread for you...but I'm sure one of the more techie users can do it faster than me. Fyi I took a screenshot of it so I don't have to look for it when I need it.

I dont have to ask you: "Where's your next vacation?"

Sorry I am a bit confused.  I don't want my voicemail on extended absense I want to be able to check it once a week or so like I do my Florida voicemail.  

Yes I'm sorry posted just after your response...thought you might not want to check voicemail rather direct callers calling your Canadian number to your Florida one. Enjoy the sun!

I don't necessarily want everyone who calls me to know I am away!!

RMF

@Jb456 wrote:

You can call 438-580-4001 from a different phone to check your voicemails remotely.

When you call press 2 for English.

Enter your cell number followed by # sign

Then when you hear your voicemail message start to play you have to press *sign

Then it will ask you to enter your voicemail password.

Then you're in your voicemail

I always call remotely now, to save an outgoing call, but I call my own number then

press star and enter my password!!

@RMF wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Wow that's a lot of info to filter thru to make a decision. As you don't mind paying for your phone while you are in Florida it is probably best to simply change your plan to the $10 50/50 call and text  set up to change on your next renewal date closest to when you leave... A day before is ok but just about anytime after...it will only cost $8 A month with Auto pay. The day you are leaving/entering the U.S. purchase the $15 us roaming call/text plan. You can have previously have added the funds +tax to your account so you just have to add it to your plan. The one slightly tricky thing to do would be to put your voicemail on extended absence.  You can then record a message with your Florida number for people to call or text you on. Just do this before you switch SIM cards and your roaming runs out. I can find the thread for you...but I'm sure one of the more techie users can do it faster than me. Fyi I took a screenshot of it so I don't have to look for it when I need it.

Sorry I am a bit confused.  I don't want my voicemail on extended absense I want to be able to check it once a week or so like I do my Florida voicemail.  

Yes I'm sorry posted just after your response...thought you might not want to check voicemail rather direct callers calling your Canadian number to your Florida one. Enjoy the sun!

@Jb456 wrote:

You can call 438-580-4001 from a different phone to check your voicemails remotely.

Thanks @Jb456  can you give the sequence to disable voicemail on extended absence as well if she chooses?  But the external voicemail number eliminates the problem of wasting outgoing calls to voicemail on the $10 and $15 plan.

RMF

@darlicious wrote:

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

RMF

@geopublic wrote:

@RMF wrote:

When I was with Rogers, I used to have two cell phones one for Florida (am snowbird) and one for Toronto.  Now I have a smartphone and will be using the same phone by changing SIM cards.  (I will pay for Public all year as wish to retain number, that is not my question.)

Ok.

My question is, for reasons I won't waste your time with, I may want to wait about a week till I change to my American provider after I arrive in Florida.  So can I use Public Mobile service in Florida and make calls to Toronto and send texts to Toronto on it and can I call other Florida numbers and send texts to Florida numbers.  If yes, do I need to make arrangements with Public in advance.  I am just sooooo confused about it all, i.e. how would I pay for these extras etc.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

@RMF  Public offers an US Roaming Talk & Text add-on that you can add to your plan just before you leave for the US. The add-on costs $15.00 and will allow to make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts anywhere in Canada and the US for 10 days while in the US.

If you need help just click on the ? bottom right and ask Simon to help you with purchasing a US roaming add-on

First of all, thank you sooooo much for all the replies. What a lovely community!!

I am aware of things like Whatsapp but it won't work.  I am involved in an organization where we send out a lot of emails and need replies.  Texting is used to say "Hey I sent you an email please respond" and it works really well.  Also I want to keep my Toronto cell number alive while I am gone, (tho I may temporarioly switch to a cheaper plan) because although the SIM card is not in the phone I am hoping this way I can still check for voicemail, as I can with my Florida number without the SIM card in......can I do that with Public Mobile if I pay all year round? (Not everyone knows I am away).

The 10 day add-on is looking good.  The reason I want it is I have Magic Jack which has

taken care of my Toronto calls in the past.  But the retirement community has just ended

their contract with Comcast after 15 years, and signed up with a new company.  When I go down instead of just ordering internet to be ready for when I get there, have to have condo rewired by new cable company so am trying to have a back up plan.

I like to have a little data, which I just turn on when there is no wifi to check my emails, so think the $20.00 plan would suffice nicely.  So can I call Canada directly without dialing another number first (like Tracfone makes you do).  Also if people in Toronto phone or text

me, will it be long distance for them.

Thanks again everyone and I WILL take Simon up on his offer!!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@RMF wrote:

When I was with Rogers, I used to have two cell phones one for Florida (am snowbird) and one for Toronto.  Now I have a smartphone and will be using the same phone by changing SIM cards.  (I will pay for Public all year as wish to retain number, that is not my question.)

Ok.

My question is, for reasons I won't waste your time with, I may want to wait about a week till I change to my American provider after I arrive in Florida.  So can I use Public Mobile service in Florida and make calls to Toronto and send texts to Toronto on it and can I call other Florida numbers and send texts to Florida numbers.  If yes, do I need to make arrangements with Public in advance.  I am just sooooo confused about it all, i.e. how would I pay for these extras etc.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

@RMF  Public offers an US Roaming Talk & Text add-on that you can add to your plan just before you leave for the US. The add-on costs $15.00 and will allow to make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts anywhere in Canada and the US for 10 days while in the US.

If you need help just click on the ? bottom right and ask Simon to help you with purchasing a US roaming add-on

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

If you're on a higher plan, you could reduce your plan at next payment to $10, still keeps your account open but for fewer $. When you return, you can just activate your old plan whenever you run out of something you need.

@Lar wrote:

@RMF   Or to muddy the waters more, you could forget all the addons and use a smartphone app to make Wifi calls to anywhere in north America, from anywere in north America.  I use google Hangouts app which if you have an android phone may already be installed.  The only thing you will not have with this is a phone  number for someone to call back but that can be worked arouind with an email sent from them. Other members may have other apps they use which will get you call back number. Free wifi is everywhere now.  Best of luck.

@Larhas a great option for you. On your smartphone, download the free app called TextNow. You'll be able to send and recieve free texts and calls as long as you have a robust wifi connection. With TextNow, you'll get a number so others can call you too.

I know others use different voip apps and I can vouch for TextNow...it has worked great for me whilst I'm away.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Lar wrote:

@RMF   Or to muddy the waters more, you could forget all the addons and use a smartphone app to make Wifi calls to anywhere in north America, from anywere in north America.  I use google Hangouts appj jwhich if you have an android phone may already be installed.  The only thing you will not have with this is a phone  number for someone to call back but that can be worked arouind with an email sent from them. Other members may have other apps they use which will get you call back number. Free wifi is everywhere now.  Best of luck.

I was going to suggest a wifi calling app as well but I have alot of snowbirds in my family and I presume the OP is just like them and they drive down to Florida for the winter months like most snowbirds do. I presume OP would want an active plan for their drive and not have to depend on WIFI stops. (I could be wrong though) but nice suggestion LAR! 😁

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RMF   Or to muddy the waters more, you could forget all the addons and use a smartphone app to make Wifi calls to anywhere in north America, from anywere in north America.  I use google Hangouts app which if you have an android phone may already be installed.  The only thing you will not have with this is a phone  number for someone to call back but that can be worked arouind with an email sent from them. Other members may have other apps they use which will get you call back number. Free wifi is everywhere now.  Best of luck.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

And if it hasn't been made clear, you'll have to sign up for it just before you leave canada. The 10 days starts the day you purchased it and even if you purchase it at 11:59 pm, that minute will count as day 1 as I understand.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Here's a how to for purchasing addons by @srlawren. It's a two step process, add the $$, then select the plan. Make sure you select the one you want. People often get confused and choose the wrong one.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974/hig...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

There are no US roaming addon plans lasting longer than 10 days.

Not sure how the $60 monthly plan works. If USA calls are included for roaming in that plan?? I know you get 2gig of data while roaming in USA but don't know about calling/texting? Maybe some else knows that part???

You could purchase a 10 day roaming plan for your first 10 days in Florida before switching to a USA sim.

You could also do this...if you have auto pay on... remove autopay.....and once your renewal date comes up..don't pay it and don't have any funds in balance....your account will be out to suspended status.

It can remain suspended for 90 days before you loose your number ....so maybe just keep track of how many days your in Florida from renewal and at 80 day mark.. reactive your account to make it active again...it will save you two months of payments since you will be in USA using a US provider.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

usplans.PNG

Here's a few options. $15 plan would be best without data.

@RMF 

You cannot used your Public Mobile service in Florida unless you have a roaming add-on package or have the $60 plan that includes U.S. roaming.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

First you would need to know whether you can get service in the area of Florida you are in. I am not aware of coverage in Florida, but someone else will.

Secondly, you'll need a 10 day US plan. There are a few to choose from, depending if you need data or not. I'll post the available plans in a few minutes if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Need Help? Let's chat.