cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gifted a phone that is locked but I don't know to which carrier

Brandinium
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Everyone.  I hope someone can help me as I am stumped as to what to do about this.

My aunt gifted me her old phone (Samsung S6 edge+) when mine started to go on the fritz.  I got it factory reset and everything but when I went to put in my public mobile sim into it, it asked for an unlock code.  Based on my own research (and using an app called phone info samsung) I got a mobile operator number of 302720.  I thought that was Rogers - called them to unlock the phone and they have no record of the IMEI.  I'm now stumped how to get this phone to work for my public mobile account. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

11 REPLIES 11

Brandinium

Thank you for the information 🙂 Always good to know more about the random information my phone tells me.  Luckily samsung.ca was able to get me squared away and as far as I know my (new-ish) phone is working correctly 🙂

Brandinium

Samsung.ca was able to get me sorted out.  Thank you for the suggestions though 🙂

@Brandinium wrote:

I got a mobile operator number of 302720.  I thought that was Rogers - called them to unlock the phone and they have no record of the IMEI.  

Your phone showing 302720 doesn't mean that it is locked to Rogers. On some devices, that number will be shown in a network scan or on the home or lock screen when connected to that network.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This usually will tell you if an iPhone is unlocked. And if the iPhone is locked, it will give you the carrier that it is locked to. I assume this site accesses the Apple data base. I doubt it will work for Samsung? But thought I would mention. 

😀Click here please.😀

Brandinium

Thank you so much.  Samsung.ca was able to get me the code I needed 🙂

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you need a PUK code from Samsung.

Samsung is giving unlock codes.   Start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page:   http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170 Inform the rep that you would like to unlock your S6  and provide the IMEI & Carrier info In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Your best bet is Samsung Canada website, I had a phone on Rogers network they claimed they don't have it, chart and Fido said the same. But Samsung came through, no problem

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

do you have any friends/family on other carriers try putting those sims in the phone and see which one works.

Brandinium

thank you.  I will try that now 🙂

brid0nca
If you have to, just text carriers looking for an unlock code. Make sure you put the IMEI number. phone brand and model number in the text. I would start with Rogers first. As was already mentioned, texting Samsung directly might work also.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@BrandiniumThe operator code means Rogers and its umbrella of companies ie Chatr, Fido etc.

You can just get Samsung.ca chat and see if they can unlock the code for you. Have you IMEI ready.

Need Help? Let's chat.