cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting lot of unknown calls since got the new number

Farjy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello everyone, I bought  a new sim for my mom and ever since she got it she has been receiving a lot of calls from an unknown number even in her imo she gets call from Africa . She never had any phone before . I was with public 7 years but never received any unknown calls . How to solve this problem because mom got the 50 mins plan ( thé cheapest one ) now when she picks up it takes some minutes from her wallet . Please help me to get rid of this problem . Thanks in advanced .(one of the Num is this one V91314110200136)

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Unfortunately, these scammers typically use auto-dialers that just endlessly dial blocks of phone numbers at a time.  You don't have to be on some list or have given your number to the wrong person any more.  You're just going to get these calls at some point.  There will be ebbs and flows as to how often and how many you get, but they're coming.  Just ignore them.  Unless I'm expecting a call from a number I won't alredy know, I let any calls I don't recognize go to voicemail.  Sometimes they leave (an automated) message, but it's easy enough to delete later.  If it's a legitimate call, they will either leave you a message or contact you another way (if they have your email address, etc).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Neptune3d
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Shapla001 wrote:

as telephone numbers are recycled, so unfortunately you got a number with bad history

So true, in the same day I can win a cruise from "Expedia", owe the "IRS" money (really guys, I'm canadian!), and have the police coming to my door because of CRA (unless I send them a money order right away!)

It happens, it's annoying, and sometimes fun just to stay on the line and mess with these idiots, at least at that point you are taking up their time and they can't call another, more trusting person.

Shapla001

as telephone numbers are recycled, so unfortunately you got a number with bad history

popping

@Farjy wrote:

But how could this possible? Can I change her number? How to do that ? 

Login to her account online.

[Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Change Phone Number] --> [Select a new phone number]

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can request a new number through her self-serve account.

I used to get a bunch of these calls when I was with Chatr. But after switching to Public Mobile, I haven't gotten any. Maybe the one ring scam doesn't work with Public Mobile? I don't know.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

For the longest time, I got calls all the time from Africa.  The caller would hang up right away.  I believe the scam if to get you to call back and incur terrible long distance charges.  I kept blocking number for these crank calls.  I have not receive any of these call for several months now.

Farjy

But how could this possible? Can I change her number? How to do that ? 

popping

@Farjy

You may want to change her phone number.  Let us hope that the new number is less know by the scammer and marketer.

Need Help? Let's chat.