cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a number I want from another provider

anandrew1995
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to switch to a number with another area code (Toronto's 647), but it's not available with PM. Is there a way to know if it is available, and which provider owns it (if I can only get it from a certain provider)?

After that, is the only cost to get the number the cost of the SIM card?

Has anyone done this?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

@mimmo I admit I have become a bit of a hoarder lol

I already own (most are mine but I have given a couple to family members)

-7777 (TWO)

-8885 (TWO)

-9999 (TWO)

@matbasm every number in every exchange is available

The only question is whether it is being aged out or recovered or actually used by a customer

Eg say carrier (Public) owns 416-555-XXXX then they own EVERY number -1111, -2222, -3333 etc

Now IF you see 416-555-4444 is on another carrier (eg Freedom) then that number must be in service or recently cancelled

If a number is cancelled it ALWAYS returns to original carrier (in most cases after 90 days)

You can always do a "reverse phone number lookup".

http://www.whitepages.ca/site_map

http://www.canada411.ca/search/reverse.html

Looking up my own number identifies it as a "Telus Communications Inc. mobile number" in British Columbia (and with Low Risk Spam/Fraud Potential, lol).  It does not identify me or my name or specific location or Public Mobile, but at least it shows which provider "owns" the number (as reported on the NRCN registry).

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wrote:

www.cnac.ca

They will list out every number you can possibly get from whichever carrier

Including the voip numbers (I snagged a good 416 number off Vonage, paid the $120 cancel fee and ported it lol)

@kav2001c, where did you find the specific numbers.  I was only able to get lists of the exchanges (part of phone number after area code) that are owned/controlled by specific carriers.  Could not see any way to check if a specific number was avaialble, or which carrier had it.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

wrote:

www.cnac.ca

Including the voip numbers (I snagged a good 416 number off Vonage, paid the $120 cancel fee and ported it lol)

That must have been one good number!

www.cnac.ca

anandrew1995
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you. I will search and see if there are any examples.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In case anyone else is looking to find out what carrier owns a particular number, I found another site that also shows this information.  https://www.textmagic.com/free-tools/carrier-lookup.  I wasn't able to get any results at freecarrierlookup (perhaps I had to register to find out, but I wasn't willing to do that).  As @will13am indicated, you would still need to contact the carrier to know if the number was available.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

To@anandrew1995, Hi there! How do you do? Regarding your question, if what you would like to do is port -in a number that you have with another carrier, yes, you may do that. But if you do not have that number yet and it's not active with any provider yet, then you might not be able to get it especially if it does not belong to us. In fact might already belong to someone else. Hopefully this helps! 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@anandrew1995, you can use this site to look up a specific number to see what carrier has the number.  I think you will have to contact the carrier to see if the number is assigned or available for assignment.  

https://freecarrierlookup.com/

Korth
Mayor / Maire

You are asking about what is called a "Number Port".  Search for "Number Port" to pull up tons of guides in this community, lol.

Ideally, you still "own" that number and still have an active account with your old provider.  But even if you don't, and the number hasn't been unassigned (after 90 days of inactivity) then it's still possible to reclaim the number, although you might need to ask for moderator assistance.

The process (usually) isn't hard, but it is delicate.  Best to make sure it is done exactly right the first time so your precious number is not exposed to any risks, lol.

I don't think the area code prefix will be a problem, and PM happens to operate in Toronto, but it's best to confirm with PM before starting and somehow botching a Number Port process.  But I'm not PM staff, I don't really know.

Need Help? Let's chat.