cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of Kiosks

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Been wondering if when Kiosks do open will they sell vouchers? I'm sure the ones who use vouchers instead of credit card. 

I know a few who rather not use their credit card and rather pay via voucher. If they did sell vouchers it would help people who still need a phone but have credit card issues.There are different reasons why people use vouchers and for what ever reason that is, it would be a welcome to sell them at kiosks. Yes yehy are sold at many loactions but not all Walmart locations places in malls carry them. 

14 REPLIES 14

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hey @mimmo,

If you would like to avoid using the credit card for payments, you can try, as an alternative to vouchers, to us a gift card to either top-up at the store or make an instant top-up. 

Have a good one 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous  so really there is no point if you spend more in fees than you would to save with autopay.  ie the canadapost reloadable visa costs $15 to buy and charges $3/month + $3 reload fee. so unless you are using it on multiple places,  then really  you are spending more thans simply buying vouchers.   the prepaid visa you buy at the giftcard section of stores might be a little different, $6 activation fee on $100,   but still anything that works out to more than $2/month I believe the voucher method is still  more economical.

@mimmo 

Always wise to look for your total cost outlay over time. So, sure, depending on your plan and depending on whatever fees on the card, think of how much it's going to cost.

I have the $10 plan. Autopay makes it $8. I buy a $25 gift card at some store. It has a $3.95 fee. Let's just make it $4. I can renew 3 times with that card. I have $1 left over.

OOORRRR...simply use the card as the way to get the autopay reward and top up using vouchers or whatever. Then the prepaid gift card "expires" at some time and you do it again all the while you've been getting the $2 reward each 30 days.

That's what I do. (Although my whatever has been rewards for a few months now 🙂 )

Some cards have a monthly fee starting in 12 months. Others don't.

I've just now tried a Mastercard gift card from Home Depot for $4. It worked.

I had previously tried a Vanilla branded Mastercard that didn't work. I've just now tried a Vanilla branded Visa card for $4 and it worked fine. And it has no monthly fee after 12 months unlike my other ones and it expires in 2023.

Oddly Home Depot didn't charge any taxes. I got the Vanilla card from 7-Eleven and they charged me GST.

@mimmo

In my case, I bank normally with Scotiabank, so my card top-ups are no cost, and I use the card as a regular credit card otherwise.  I do get SCENE points, so I can use them at the movies, and restaurants as rewards.

The fees are low.  There is no NSF from the card itself, as it will be a declined payment if there are not enough funds, the vendor may apply an NSF.

I don't have a monthly fee.  I do have an annual $10, but I believe it's waived as long as I'm using it regularly (ie at least a monthly use).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous  so really there is no point if you spend more in fees than you would to save with autopay.  ie the canadapost reloadable visa costs $15 to buy and charges $3/month + $3 reload fee. so unless you are using it on multiple places,  then really  you are spending more thans simply buying vouchers.   the prepaid visa you buy at the giftcard section of stores might be a little different, $6 activation fee on $100,   but still anything that works out to more than $2/month I believe the voucher method is still  more economical.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@mimmo, @Anonymous 

I still use my prepaid reloadable ScotiaBank Scene Visa.  Must apply at the local bank to get it.  Initial balance load was free at the time.  Unsure now.

More information available at www.scotiabank.com

The beauty of the gift card is that there's no application, no sign-up required, no credit check (not saying yours does) and no real address needed. I used the same address from the self-serve though. So it's basically anonymous.

@mimmo, @Anonymous 

I still use my prepaid reloadable ScotiaBank Scene Visa.  Must apply at the local bank to get it.  Initial balance load was free at the time.  Unsure now.

More information available at www.scotiabank.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous  which visa gift card do you use?  when i looked into them there was always some sort of fee.

Oh there's a fee! I didn't say they were free. Just useful. There's also a time limit in the fine print where eventually it will start taking a fee from available balance each month presumably until dead. So spend it before then and get another one. It's like a year or something. RobertQc uses one from CanadaPost. I used one from Home Depot of all places. I had tried one branded as Vanilla Mastercard from a gas station that didn't work.

mimmo

@Anonymous  which visa gift card do you use?  when i looked into them there was always some sort of fee.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tehowennathe 

For the credit card wary or no card or credit problems thus no card...one can use those Visa Gift "credit" cards. I use it to satisfy the autopay function to get the $2.

But yes I agree with the points so far in this thread.

Sell SIM's. Sell vouchers. Activate. Maybe a choice of defining it as online or in-store but really it should be thought of as in-store. Take payments. Help with the service. Politely say go to the community for help with a phone. All the same functions that a full service outlet would do. Hey if you're gonna have a kiosk...

I just hope it doesn't cause rates to rise for an unnecessary frill. Whatever happened to less for less.

mimmo

@tehowennathe  many stores sell vouchers now, gas stations 711 Canadian tire, I even saw them in my local grocery store.  Buy a voucher call 611 and top up.

Who knows what amount of help kiosks will be other than activating accounts as PM still wants all support to be online. 

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It would be helpful if they did sell and help people add to account. Some of their older customers who don't know technology well enough may have issues adding to account. I have an elder family member who pays via voucher and always has me go buy for them and add the funds. They don't feel confident doing it on their own. They would love to go buy them them on their own if places would actually help them add it so they don't always have to depend on me.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tehowennathe, being a prepaid service, I am sure the kiosk would have some form of support for making account payments that does not involve using a credit card.  The Koodo brand has both prepaid and postpaid.  I have seen customers at Koodo kiosks doing transactions with cash.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@tehowennathe

No details specifically have been released.  I would imagine as SIMs are available elsewhere via cash, debit, and credit cards, vouchers would be accessible also. 

Perhaps with it being a dedicated PM kiosk, the possibility of 'online' activation will be available onsite at the kiosk.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
It sounds like they will be selling them. It wouldn't make sense for them to open kiosks and not sell vouchers for people to be able to pay for their service. Some people have suggested you may even be able to put money straight on your account there as well.
Need Help? Let's chat.