cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Phone number and Visual Voicemail VVM for Andriod / iPhone. 2018

GotVVM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All,

Previously I wrote a method of using Fongo to achieve VVM feature on Andriod phone. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/You-can-have-Visual-Voicemail-in-Andriod/...

For one of my PM accounts I only have a data plan, and I use TalkaTone to provide my free USA/Canada phone service.  You really only need a dataplan, no phone service is needed.

I have recently changed to Talkatone instead of Fongo.  Because recently Talkatone rolled out Vancouver, BC phone numbers as part of their collection of free phone numbers, and I was able to get a 778 area code number from talkatone.  My brother was able to get a 604 number, but the selection was very limited.

The benefits over Fongo is that, for Talkatone, there is:

- no fees for inbound/outbound text msg

- much better voice quality on calls

- no fees to inbound/outbound voice calls within USA and Canada.

The drawback is you cannot adjust the number of rings before TalkaTone sends the call to VM.  Its etiher the default 30seconds rings then VM, or immediately to VM.

Here are the steps:

1. Download and install TalkaTone to your phone, its free.

2. Sign up an account within the app, pick a local phone number.

3. You can leave all the other options as default.

4. You need to set your phone so that if there is no answer, busy tone, or out of coverage, your publicmobile phone would get forwarded to the new TalkaTone number that you got.  To accomplish this, in your phone's dialer, enter this:  *004*xxxxxxxxxx#  then press the call button

Replace xxxxxxxxxx with your newly applied TalkaTone number.  When you don't/unable to answer your phone, your Public Mobile number will get forwarded to the TalkaTone number for 30 seconds more, then the voicemail greeting will kick in.  There is an option in TalkaTone that would immediately send the call to voicemail.

You can always access your visual voicemail from the TalkaTone app.  When you are done with the voicemail, a copy of the vm will be sent to your email also.

3 REPLIES 3

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Reviews are all over the map 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GotVVM thanks, I will definitely check TalkaTone out.  I'm not quite ready to go fully data-only, but it is nice to have a new option for a second line and for use when travelling.  I have used Fongo for these purposes for a while now, but the voice quality can be problematic so I'm definitely intrigued by TalkaTone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's nice to see addition options with Canadian phone numbers.  

Need Help? Let's chat.