cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time in Canada, how to get a Sim card

Lazarus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everybody, I´m coming to Canada for the first time next week and was trying to find a good pre-paid plan for my visit.

I stumbled upon Public Mobile and from what I´ve been seeing it has the best pre-paid plan for my needs.

But I´m having dificulties to find out how do I get the sim card once I arrive in Toronto since the company does not have any physical stores.

To have it delivered in an hotel is not a option since I just arrive in Toronto to get a car and drive off, and I need the Sim Card to be able to use the GPS on my phone without trouble.

Is there any way to have it delivered to a standard pickup location?

Thanks for the help!

20 REPLIES 20

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Surprised that WOW doesn't have an airport location ?   Or could PM not get an agreement for a vending machine type arrangement?   Or even a retailer that has locations in the airport. Always some electronics places within the airport. 

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

just wondering how long you are staying for? can you afford 1-3 days of no service in the beginning if you run into issues with activation?

paulie

Like I said... if you ask real nice, a member might have a SIM card to give or at least give you the number off the SIM.   🙂

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Lazarus If you are serious about pre-activating an account to ensure it's functional before you arrive send me a private message for an "how to" idea. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Walmart And $10+tax

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Lazarus wrote:

Hi everybody, I´m coming to Canada for the first time next week and was trying to find a good pre-paid plan for my visit.

I stumbled upon Public Mobile and from what I´ve been seeing it has the best pre-paid plan for my needs.

But I´m having dificulties to find out how do I get the sim card once I arrive in Toronto since the company does not have any physical stores.

To have it delivered in an hotel is not a option since I just arrive in Toronto to get a car and drive off, and I need the Sim Card to be able to use the GPS on my phone without trouble.

Is there any way to have it delivered to a standard pickup location?

Thanks for the help

You can update GPS off line and don't need Data to used it 

MEU_21

This is precisely why I suggested in the Ideas forum that PM set-up a booth at Pearson - probably the only maned physical location, but it will more than offset the costs (or do a hybrid Telus/PM booth).  They are missing a massive market by not being readily accessible to tourists!

smp99

Not knowing exacly your needs, but you may be better served with Koodo prepaid. At least there you can go to a booth or store (Telus or Koodo) and be confident that you will be up and runnning before you leave the store. I would hate to see you get locked into an activation issue on PM (it can happen) and having to deal with Mods when you may have limited access to these forums. Koodo prepaid also allows you to call to US / International (using your minutes at a faster rate).  

And the Koodo SIM is in effect free, since you get the cost refunded to you in the form of a credit on new accounts. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Lazarus If you have a relative or someone picking you up at the airport then maybe you can ask them to buy you a sim card either from a local warmart or online here and bring it with them at the airport.

They can either give you the sim card number ahead of time before you arrive so that you can simply active your account before yo arrive.  By doing this, as soon as you arrive and get your hands on the sim card you will have a working phone.

Or

When they bring the sim card at the airport, you can use the free wifi at the airport to activate your account.

rob79

@Someone_here wrote:

@Lazarus wrote:

and I need the Sim Card to be able to use the GPS on my phone without trouble.

As a side note, you can use GPS on your phone without any SIM or even without cell reception... You just need to download the map beforehand.

You can try the app "Here", for example. It basically works exactly like a car GPS, but on your phone 🙂

You don't even need an extra app really, Google Maps will allow you to download maps for offline use.

@Lazarus wrote:

Just one more question then, is it possible to purchase the plan online before getting the Sim card?

If it is possible, I should be able to activate it once I buy the sim card in one of the stores even if I dont have internet access, right?

Yes you have to buy the SIM before creating your account (or at least to have a valid SIM number, which you don't get before having the SIM).

If you buy your SIM in a Walmart, they usually have free Wifi, so you could activate just there if you already have your voucher...

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

@Lazarus wrote:

and I need the Sim Card to be able to use the GPS on my phone without trouble.

As a side note, you can use GPS on your phone without any SIM or even without cell reception... You just need to download the map beforehand.

You can try the app "Here", for example. It basically works exactly like a car GPS, but on your phone 🙂

paulie

Ask really nice and maybe a member has a spare sim to give you for free !   🙂

The problem for a visitor to Canada is, unless they've got access to a Canadian credit card, they will absolutely need a payment voucher, as Public Mobile doesn't accept payment with a non-Canadian credit card.

Michael77

@will13am,

@will13am wrote:

I would suggest just trying to pay with the credit card first.  We are going to have this poor traveller visiting every shopping mall in the city which I am sure is not the purpose of the visit here.

True.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would suggest just trying to pay with the credit card first.  We are going to have this poor traveller visiting every shopping mall in the city which I am sure is not the purpose of the visit here.

I'm not actually sure, I think you have to activate it yourself. 

And another issue you may face is the payment, so I recommend picking up a PM voucher to pay for your plan. You can find those in gas stations like shell or Canadian tire. Not sure where in Toronto your visiting, but I'm sure someone here knows a place to get them

Michael77

Hi @Lazarus,

You will need to purchase a sim card first.

I hope you enjoy Public Mobile. 🙂

Lazarus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That´s great to know, thanks!

Just one more question then, is it possible to purchase the plan online before getting the Sim card?

If it is possible, I should be able to activate it once I buy the sim card in one of the stores even if I dont have internet access, right?

Thanks again!

Looking forward to visiting Canada!

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

You can actually get sims at Walmart or a Wow boutique. You can find wows in most malls

Need Help? Let's chat.