Fido to increase cost of 4GB/$40 promo plan to $45 per month

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I beg of you PM please don't follow suit Cat Frustrated

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/31/fido-to-increase-to-45-per-month/

13 REPLIES 13

Wafik
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The optics and timing would be horrible.  I'm sure they will raise the rate at some point, but raising it less than a year after the fall promo would cause a lot of anger, especially at a time when they can really capitalize on the free unlocking once it kicks in December 1st.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hopefully they won't. I don't think PM wants to lose customers. Historically, Telus does not raise rates on their existing customer plans. 🙂

Public mobile will increase all of their plans cost for sure in future.  It is just a matter of when.  They already did it to legacy plans.   

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Actually, it might have been $45 for 45 MB.🤔

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I remember paying Rogers $45 per month for 450 MB, less than half a GB, on a BlackBerry plan. 45 for 450. LOL

One more thing.... I thought of....

in my mind, Public Mobile is still a great deal.  Here is my reasoning.

the current 4G, 90 Day, Province wide talk, global text, and 3+3 GB data, is $150 for 90 days.

4 years ago, while on a Rogers month by month BYOD plan, was unlimited Canadawide talk and text, and 2 GB of data.  I was paying $70 a month, or $210 per 90ish days.

In Ontario, not doing Canadawide calling, not texting outside my province, and not using my full data limit, I was being hosed!  I haven't compared prices recently, but today's PM 4G plan using the minimums, is still cheaper than when I flipped to WIND, before coming her in 2016.  This is the closest comparisons I can make for 2GB data a month plans.

i originally signed up for 30 day plan with 1GB data in I think May 2016' switched to the then new Provincewide talk, global text, 6 GB 90 day plan for $120 in June, then renewed again in September just before Fall Promo 2016 at same price.

Yup, I'm still saving, if I were to go current in market PM 4G 90 day province wide, global txt, and 3+3 date.

I do not believe Public will do this, but here is what I have right now.

My next 90 cycle will renew in 11 days.  This will be the start of my 4th cycle, as I future dated the plan during the original period as allowed by Public Mobile.

My next cycle will renew in December, 5 day shy of 1year.  Let's see what happens.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If PM followed Fido then I would 100% switch to another carrier. There is no doubt about it. I would have no incentive to stay. My referrals would leave too. We just got on this plan about 2 months ago. I was paying $35 at FM.  

Be smart PM........  Please don't follow. 🙂

@canucks4life wrote:

Agreed for awhile at least Freedom would give discounted rate plan for 10 months but increase was clearly shown in fine print so it wasn't coming out of left field.

Customers hated that, but at least you knew.  This Fido price gives off the optics of sneakiness, and that's the impression it gives even if the price increase was only decided upon recently. 

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Agreed for awhile at least Freedom would give discounted rate plan for 10 months but increase was clearly shown in fine print so it wasn't coming out of left field.

Sometimes, companies do raise prices. That's a reality.  The problem with Fido doing this has to do with the fact that this $40 plan was offered less than a year ago, giving the impression that Fido made the $40 offer only to get customers to sign up, but did not want to actually offer that price.  They cynical side of me wonders if that $5 price increase was planned even back when that $40 plan was offered.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well hopefully freedom mobile does well and brings competition to Canada to drive the prices down.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

I can see it for making up for lost revenue thanks to the free unlocking that will be starting soon

Need Help? Let's chat.