cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience when have a credit balance when porting number from Freedom

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi

I figured might be easier to keep my old number since switched to Public Mobile due to the Telus Coverage.

Issue is I have a credit with Freedom right now and wonder what others have experienced after porting their number cause what I have read here is that once you port that tells Freedom that you are leaving and closing the account in directly.

Have any had issues getting a credit put back on their credit card after porting their number? My Freedom account is still active and in good standing.

On another note-

Has ayone else noticed that their phone has gone to emergency calls only a few times in certian areas. I was in Wetaskiwin, AB and had service for most of the time but 3x it went to no service.

9 REPLIES 9

@Patrick_R wrote:

I had paid before I have not ported the number yet,

I just asked here cause some said not need to contact Freedom when porting number and just wondered what others expericnces are in that regard

Since you say you have Pay Before/no credit check service at Freedom, as I said before, there are no refunds. The reason we were saying to ask Freedom was not to actually request them to cancel (which you shouldn't), but rather to ask them the questions, as they really are the proper people to ask.

The only option for pepaid/pay-your-way/Pay Before balances would be to transfer the balance to another customer before porting out.  Freedom only allows tranfser of $150 per day, but I can tell you from experience, don't do the maximum.  If you transfer $100 or more, they will close your account for what they consdier suspcious activity, or at least this used to be their internal policy.   If you don't transfer your Pay Before balances before porting out, the balance will be lost forever, and they then will not transfer it to another customer/retriveve it for you, and they most definitely will not provide any sort of refund. 

@Patrick_R wrote:

I had it happen with the Public Mobile SIM so just curious as a new client of spotty service on the network that is my reason for leaving Freedom the coverage.

Take a look at this cell tower map and see which provider has towers around your local area.  No network is 100% perfect.  From personal experience, this network is much closer to perfection that the freedom network.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Cath

When I ported from Rogers postpaid, I received a prorated refund by cheque without contacting them.  I think their practice was to wait a period of time but the refund did eventually come.

Occasionally I wake up in the morning to the "Emergency Service Only” message.  I reboot and everything is fine.  Initially it happened every three to four months; now it's a couple of times a year.  I have no idea why it happens but I've learned to live with it.  🙂

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Patrick_R 

I believe freedoms policy is no refunds on prepaid service..but you can transfer your balance to another prepaid subscriber..

@Patrick_R Normally you wouldn't need to contact Freedom before you port your number, but you will need to speak with them if you want your money back. When you actually port it you can just use your PM account to request a phone number change and choose to move your number from Freedom to PM, no need to contact Freedom to have it ported

Patrick_R

I had it happen with the Public Mobile SIM so just curious as a new client of spotty service on the network that is my reason for leaving Freedom the coverage.

Patrick_R

I had paid before I have not ported the number yet,

I just asked here cause some said not need to contact Freedom when porting number and just wondered what others expericnces are in that regard

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
You should contact Freedom and ask them to put your money back on your card before porting the number, you may not be able to after you have started a port.

It may go to emergency calls only if you are in an area where there are no towers used by your current povider but there are towers from another provider, you would be able to use those towers for an emergency call (you don't even need a SIM for emergency calls) but not a regular call.

Pay before or pay after?  Pay before balance would get wiped out when you port out and is non-refundable.  Pay after refund wouldn't be to your credit card.  It would likely be by cheque.  Either way, since these are questions about Freedom's billing policies, you'd be best to ask Freedom customer care for the best answers.

Need Help? Let's chat.