cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency calls only

Valdikam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Technical Support, 

The first time I turned on my LG TU 915 phone (a former Rogers phone - now unlocked) after setting up a Public Mobile account I got "Emergency calls only" error. I inserted my Public Mobile SIM in an IPhone 5 and it worked there. What is wrong please? I need the SIM to work for my TU 915 phone.

TU915 IMEI is 3549xxxxxxxx

SIM is 891223xxxxxxxxx

Public Mobile shows above phone as a compatible one, it is unlocked.

If you cannot fix the above issue please advise me how I can get a full refund for my selected plan and cost of SIM card.

Thank you!

Valdi

11 REPLIES 11

@MacMe wrote:

@Valdikam wrote:

Hi & thank you,

- I went to Cellular settings in my phone - options there are Automatic and Manual - I do not see Public Mobile listed there.

Choose manual, then select Public Mobile.

Maybe also check if your phone has any updates you can do.

If a carrier is not on the list, you cannot manually select it.  I am going to throw out a real wild guess.  Could it be that the phone is interpreting the SIM as being Telus sourced?  @Valdikam, try manually selecting Telus and see if that works. 

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Valdikam wrote:

Hi & thank you,

- I went to Cellular settings in my phone - options there are Automatic and Manual - I do not see Public Mobile listed there.

Choose manual, then select Public Mobile.

Maybe also check if your phone has any updates you can do.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Valdikam wrote:

Hi Technical Support, 

The first time I turned on my LG TU 915 phone (a former Rogers phone - now unlocked) after setting up a Public Mobile account I got "Emergency calls only" error. I inserted my Public Mobile SIM in an IPhone 5 and it worked there. What is wrong please? I need the SIM to work for my TU 915 phone.

TU915 IMEI is 354xxxxxxxxx

SIM is 8912230xxxxxxxx

Public Mobile shows above phone as a compatible one, it is unlocked.

If you cannot fix the above issue please advise me how I can get a full refund for my selected plan and cost of SIM card.

Thank you!

Valdi

Wild guess here... Could it be that the SIM is not seated properly in the LG's SIM tray?

The iPhone 5 takes a nano SIM (the smallest of the three punch-outs of a triple SIM, which is also a tiny bit thinner than the frames), the LG the standard size, correct?

So if you tried the nano SIM in the iPhone and then put it back into the frame to put it into the LG it's possible that it is unnoticably set back an can't make contact with the phone's reader.

Another thing that springs to mind is that some people needed a factory reset to make their LG phone work with a Public Mobile data plan (Knowledge Base article here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p... ) - but it's my understanding that that particular underlaying problem shouldn't influence your voice and text connection. (However, I'm not an LG user so can't speak from personal experience.)

Valdikam

My phone has never been lost or stolen - this was shown to me at the time I was unlocking it few years back.

Thank you

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am not trying to defend Public Mobile here, but just because a phone is compatible but for some reason, the phone is not registering on the network doesn't qualify for a refund.  The very fact that the service works on a different phone is testimony that a working service was provided.  Although it was not mentioned, could the emergency call only be due to the SIM card not being read by the phone.  In other words, the phone thinks there is no SIM card?  I think it is far more likely the phone has problems than the service being non compatible.  This model of phone is 10 years old which in electronics is ancient. 

Valdikam

Hi & thank you,

- i did power off and on the phone

- I did remove and re-insert SIM

It looks to me although my phone is a Canadian purchased (owned, never lost/stolen), Public Mobile network does not support it, but gave me wrong information it is good for use. If I knew this upfront I would go to another mobile operator.

Please advise how I could get a full refund of my prepaid plan and SIM if issue cannot be rectified.

Thank you,

Valdi

jp2

You could try contacting mods for a refund but PM service is working just as it is supposed to. The problem is with your phone. Have you tried putting a different sim in your phone to see if it works?

Valdikam

Thank you. You are correct about my phone which has the required 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies and is compatible to Public Mobile network. My phone is also unlocked. It has been used so far with various carriers worldwide.

Please advise where I can go and prove to Public Mobile what I say above. 

Technical Support: If for some reason your network does not work with my phone (which should not be the case, but it looks like as per reply I got) I simply would like a full refund of what I have invested for the prepaid plan and SIM and will go to another mobile company. Time is of great importance to me.

Thank you,

Valdi

jp2

You could also check if your phone was reported as being stolen somehow but if it was yours at Rogers you should be fine.

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ 

MacMe

If it works with your iPhone, then it may just be a setup issue with your LG phone.

Have your tried:

-powering off and on your phone

-removing the SIM and re-inserting it

-going into your phone's cellular settings and choosing Public Mobile as your Network Operator?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Valdikam FYI the compatibility checker on Public Mobile's site can be unrelaible and produce false positives.  For future reference, please use https://willmyphonework.net to check for compatibility.  However, if this is your exact phone https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_cu915_vu-2364.php then it is fine as it contains the required 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G frequencies.

If your phone is indeed compatible as noted above, then I would imagine it must be locked to Rogers network and you would need to contact them for an unlock code to carrier-unlock it for use with Public Mobile.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.