cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert System- Ottawa Tornado

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am just wondering if Public Mobile is part of the emergency alert system. The reason I am curious is because of the tornado that hit the Ottawa area on September 21st. That evening I was home standing next to my wife holding our phones. I am with Public and she is with Rogers. Both of us had our mobile data turned on. Her phone got the warning for the tornado and mine didn't. Just wondering why.

9 REPLIES 9

@stonechucker wrote:

You're not supposed to be able to disable it, so I would image if you're connected to LTE with an LTE phone, you *should* be able to get the messages if they're sent out.  If you've set your device to connect to something other than LTE (ie 3G or 2G/3G, etc)... you may not receive the notifications.

Do we really have any real confirmation that these alerts only work over LTE?  I know what all the articles say, but it wouldn't be the first time that someone who has written such an article, or even official documentation didn't know the difference between different network types, or misinterpreted something that was read.  It's not like we can even go by what others say or even our own personal experiences over this since the alerts seem to only sometimes work.

As for compatiblility, I think that it would be a good thing if there could be a a test system that can be initiated by the phone user and then, a test could be sent to the phone on demand.

As for the alerts being only LTE (if true), I don't beleive this to be logicial, other than from a  cost-savings point-of-view.  Simply put, if you're in a phone call when an alert is sent out, I believe that there's a good chance that you're not going to receive it.    This applies not only to Public Mobile who doesn't have VoLTE, but any carrier, because voice-over-LTE works doesn't work on all devices. Also, it almost never works on a device that was purcahsed from a different carrier than it is being used on. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:
the system is so messed up that I receive some messages but not others. 

So messed up lol. It's a freakin' wonder we can talk, text and internet. Gotta like them rates though!

I think saying messed up is appropriate if it only works randomly, although I'm certain that they've been trying to fix these issues. 

The data overages rates are the best!

I remember getting some of the test messages, and getting 4 of the first Amber alert in Ontario after this started.

My then Nexus 5, although LTE capable, and on an LTE network connection, was listed as an unsupported device.

Others have said the same that their devices got the alerts also.  Others, who have suggested supported devices have reported both getting and not getting the notifications.   So, who knows?

You're not supposed to be able to disable it, so I would image if you're connected to LTE with an LTE phone, you *should* be able to get the messages if they're sent out.  If you've set your device to connect to something other than LTE (ie 3G or 2G/3G, etc)... you may not receive the notifications.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:
the system is so messed up that I receive some messages but not others. 

So messed up lol. It's a freakin' wonder we can talk, text and internet. Gotta like them rates though!

@kelvarnsen wrote:

I am just wondering if Public Mobile is part of the emergency alert system.

Public Mobile certainly is (they don't have a choice), but the system is so messed up that I receive some messages but not others.  I would say that as of now, the standard smartphone notifications from various weather apps are more reliable.

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Thanks for the info. It is not 100% clear but it looks like my phone might not be compatible. Although it is only a few years old. Anyone know if there is a list anywhere of all phones that work with the system. I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.

https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/

A wireless device that is WPA-compatible is (1) an LTE-device, and (2) has special software embedded in it which allows for messages sent by your service provider, via Cell Broadcast, to be received in the standard Alert Ready format.

Emergency alerts that meet the Alert Ready format allow you to know when an alert is received (because of the sound and vibration), and also provides confirmation that it is issued by a legitimate sources.

Visit the Wireless section of AlertReady.ca to find a link to the section of your wireless service provider’s website that provides information on compatible devices.

It's quite funny, the linke https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/www.alertready.ca/wireless is broken

Oops! That page can’t be found.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the info. It is not 100% clear but it looks like my phone might not be compatible. Although it is only a few years old. Anyone know if there is a list anywhere of all phones that work with the system. I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@kelvarnsen wrote:

I am just wondering if Public Mobile is part of the emergency alert system. The reason I am curious is because of the tornado that hit the Ottawa area on September 21st. That evening I was home standing next to my wife holding our phones. I am with Public and she is with Rogers. Both of us had our mobile data turned on. Her phone got the warning for the tornado and mine didn't. Just wondering why.

Yes they are I am out in BC and when they tested the system I got the message.  I don't think this system is fully functioning correctly because even people on the same provider were getting different results of some getting it and not getting it.  I don't think this is a provider issue but more of the whole system issue.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@kelvarnsen wrote:

It should be but may not be fully working as intended, yet. It's pretty new

Also not all phones are compatible with it, some phones also have the ability to turn it off. Make sure yours is an enabled phone with the options selected. I turned mine off.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/alertready

Read this discussion https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Alert-Ready-is-Public-Mobile-Compatible/t...

Need Help? Let's chat.