cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert (Amber etc) Not showing up

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey PM family 

I have a question. Whenever there is a regional or countrywide alert (like an amber alert) I do not get the warning on my phone. But my mother's phone does (She has a Samsung s6 and I have an iPhone 7 plus and we are both with public mobile) 

I do not know what could be causing this issue 

14 REPLIES 14

sgt57
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The very reason I degraded to 3G. No speed advantage and I find signal strength better.

Big Plus no abuse by government of Alert Ready. Love the service though.

brettster99

@Danchvn 

Okay now that’s curious you did get notices on 3G hmmm maybe it’s something provincially done I’m not sure. As for speeds at 3G I do stream video at 1080P and play games like hearthstone and I don’t notice any difference from Bells 4G LTE Laughing out loud 

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For quite a while I had been thinking of moving to Public Mobile from my previous carrier. I was curious if going to 3G speeds from LTE was going to make a noticeable to me so for about 6 months I had my phone settings set for 3G and LTE turned off. To be honest I really did't notice a difference though I don't stream anything while on data.

Now to my main point; during that time Nova Scotia had a number of alerts which I did receive on my phone.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99, from my understanding, wireless carriers were given one year to set up the system a few years ago and many users have been receiving text messages about its impending rollout. The CRTC made the system mandatory with no option to opt-out.

I looked at my wife's iPhone 7, and you are right, it's not under settings > notifications or settings > cellular. 

I did notice the emergency SOS feature on her phone. but other than that. you are right, iPhones from the States and Canadian are quite different from one another. This leads me to believe that you don't have the option to turn this off. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RossN wrote:

@brettster99 Hi Check under Settings --> Notifications --> Government Alerts and make sure that Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts are both turned on.

When it comes to those settings, those settings won't change anything due to the way that the system is implemented in Canada. Those settings could all be turned off and you would still receive the alerts if connected to an LTE network.

@computergeek541 Ok so much for solutions in the help section lol

brettster99

@computergeek541 

Thanks again. The only reason like I said before it the faster speeds and better connection. With just 3G I get full coverage. With LTE I now only have 2 to 3 bars. But now I know why I haven't been getting them thanks

brettster99

@Triguy 

I do know my phone is compatible to that network to get the messages. I got it before at bell when I was with them. It's probably because I turned off the LTE. Which thanks to you and @gblackma have said its that I did not have LTE on so thank you again 🙂

@RossN wrote:

@brettster99 Hi Check under Settings --> Notifications --> Government Alerts and make sure that Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts are both turned on.

When it comes to those settings, those settings won't change anything due to the way that the system is implemented in Canada. Those settings could all be turned off and you would still receive the alerts if connected to an LTE network.

@gblackma wrote:

@brettster99 Your data has to be set to 4g LTE  in order to get the Amber alerts. Stay safe. 

Yes, LTE has to be enabled, but data does not actually need to be.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

A phone needs to be connected to the LTE network and on devices that are WPA compatible. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Not-receiving-amber-alerts/m-p/326897#M85...

brettster99

@gblackma 

Now that is probably the answer. As my mother didn't change any settings while I turned off LTE on my phone because I wanted better coverage and faster speeds lol. Okay I turned LTE back on and I will report back on the next government alert if that worked  

brettster99

@RossN 

I do not have that option

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99 Your data has to be set to 4g LTE  in order to get the Amber alerts. Stay safe. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.