cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Way to Open Referral Discussion

Rascal
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some of us struggle a bit bringing up the subject of referring someone to Public Mobile because we feel that they might think we are trying to get something from them. I think the best way is to just ask, "Say, how much do you pay for your cell phone coverage?"

I did that today while I was getting my hair cut. I asked my stylist and she said, "Oh man! I pay $110 a month!" 

My response was, "Why"?

She went on to say that she doesn't have unlimited talk or text but she gets a lot of data and she's paying off her phone. I gently told her that she is crazy to keep paying those high prices and she got so excited thinking about paying less that I think she might buy her way out of her contract and sign up with PM. 

So the next time you don't know how to bring up the subject, just ask, "How much do you pay?" That will start a nice discussion that could lead them to PM.

13 REPLIES 13

Sugababy8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looking to pay less myself!

DM me 🙂

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

my next phone will probably be a Samsung Note 9. But not for a long while. What i'll probably end up doing is swapping SIM cards, so the PM mobile sim will go in the new phone, and my old phone will get the telus SIM which i will give to my parents and split the cost of the monthly fee. Considering that they only have a flip phone that doesn't even text, it will still be a significant step up for them.

win-win

-James

@popping wrote:

With the PM to Koodo migration going on ATM, don't give out your PM phone number to anyone, especially someone from a forum, for a chance of earning $1/30 days.  Don't let scammers taking advandage of you and stealing your PM phone number to qualify for the Koodo migration offer.  If this happens to you, you will not get the $1/30 days reward which you are hoping for.

They don't know what my plan is and what promo I could potentially qualify for.  You gotta look at the bigger picture on referrals.  The real opportunity is on the Koodo end. 

@popping wrote:

@dna2016

It is an important fact to discuss.  Don't forget to mention that there is upto 48 hours no service while waiting for moderator to work on your request.

I compare PM DIY mobile service to Fongo free home phone DIY service.

PM service:  Subscriber has to supply a phone and know what is APN and how fix it if it is broken etc.

Fongo home phone: Subscriber has to supply ATA and know how to configure the ATA etc

For Public Mobile referrals, I do give people the minimum lecture.  For friends who are high maintenance, I do account adiminstration so as to limit problems. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rascal wrote:

Those are very good points about the level of support and subsidizing the cost of a new phone, but I have found the response time to be very short from the moderators whenever I have had a need for information. To be fair, I haven't had any major technical difficulties, so I can't say how that would go. I'm not really interested in an expensive high end phone, but if I did want that, I'm sure that would influence my decision. If one calculates what one really pays for those phones by paying inflated fees, though, it sure makes more sense to buy one outright, but not everyone has the money to do that, I realize.

I like the PM big brother, Koodo, tab system.  It is separated from the monthly plan payment.  The tab is a 0% interest loan from Koodo.  Since it is a loan, there is a monthly loan payment in addition to the monthly plan payment.  When one finishes paying the loan after 24 months, monthly payment will be only the plan amount.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@popping, good point.

Rascal
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Those are very good points about the level of support and subsidizing the cost of a new phone, but I have found the response time to be very short from the moderators whenever I have had a need for information. To be fair, I haven't had any major technical difficulties, so I can't say how that would go. I'm not really interested in an expensive high end phone, but if I did want that, I'm sure that would influence my decision. If one calculates what one really pays for those phones by paying inflated fees, though, it sure makes more sense to buy one outright, but not everyone has the money to do that, I realize.

popping

@dna2016

It is an important fact to discuss.  Don't forget to mention that there is upto 48 hours no service while waiting for moderator to work on your request.

I compare PM DIY mobile service to Fongo free home phone DIY service.

PM service:  Subscriber has to supply a phone and know what is APN and how fix it if it is broken etc.

Fongo home phone: Subscriber has to supply ATA and know how to configure the ATA etc

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rascal, nice I like your approach.  But I also think you still need to advise them of the differences and why PM is much less.  Although everyone would like to pay less, however PM is not for everyone.  Some people like getting free phones through hardware upgrades, some people prefer having a retail store to go and complain, or if their phone has issues they go to the retail location and get a loaner while their phone gets repaired.  I mean these are just a few small additional services that the other providers have that people tend to like, and hence partly why they pay more for their service.  To be honest, if they are not DIY type of people, they may find it a little difficult at first being with PM.  I'm usually very particular when I refer someone, and I let them know, you're almost on your own, and many people thanked me for letting them know beforehand so they can really think about it.  

Last thing I want is them yelling at me because I "forgot" to tell them there's no call centre, no retail location, and they'd have to buy their own phone outright (no phone subsidizing here).

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Doesn't it take a while for Koodo to give you that offer? It's not within 1 payment cycle.

popping

With the PM to Koodo migration going on ATM, don't give out your PM phone number to anyone, especially someone from a forum, for a chance of earning $1/30 days.  Don't let scammers taking advandage of you and stealing your PM phone number to qualify for the Koodo migration offer.  If this happens to you, you will not get the $1/30 days reward which you are hoping for.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Rascal, I have been doing exactly this since I came on board during the big 2016 fall promo.  It has been quite the successful campaign, with the occasional disruption from those pesky Koodo migration offers.  Gotta roll with the punches and keep going. 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I mean there's https://reddit.com/r/PublicMobile if you want referrals.

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Need Help? Let's chat.