cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ease the pain of the broken password reset link

anya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is there any reason a note cannot be added below the “forgot password” link on the self-serve site explaining that it is not working and to send a private message the moderators for assistance instead? Even better if the link can be hidden until it is fixed and/or a link to message the moderators added.

It seems like there have been lots of frustrated people complaining on the community that they waited hours/days for a password reset email that never came. Until they get informed by the community, they had no idea that the feature does not work.

I understand that actually fixing the feature is the ideal solution, but letting people know that there is an issue and giving them an alternative solution in the meantime would help mitigate it’s effect.

9 REPLIES 9

anya

@CalvinW yup...that’s gotta be annoying!

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@anya I type it in manually each time, which makes it even more confusing

anya

@CalvinW wrote:

And why does my password all of a sudden stops working? This happens every one or two months 

@CalvinW Could your browser be remembering a previous password? Especially if it is changing so often.

anya

@mimmo wrote:

The note has been suggested many many  times before but unfortunately,  it seems like  the requests have fallen on deaf ears.  

Ok that explains. I had a hard time believing it hadn’t been suggested already, but I hadn’t seen it anywhere yet, so thought I’d just bring it up. A text edit to a webpage like that is not “usually” a major change that requires lots of development resources. But it would bring value in terms of better customer experience etc.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalvinW wrote:

And why does my password all of a sudden stops working? This happens every one or two months 

Never heard about that one in the past 2 years i have been here.  That has never happened to me on any of the accounts i manage.  

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I completely agree that a fix is ideal solution and as a stopgap a little note saying if you don' t receive your reset link please contact mods.  

The note has been suggested many many  times before but unfortunately,  it seems like  the requests have fallen on deaf ears.  

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Yea, its alot better with the fix, as it is used very often.  Not sure what happened to the development team in public mobile.

Adding few words is alot better than frustrating people trying to reset password.  

Or simply take it off and put link to contact mod.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

We reached out to the team multiple times regarding this issue. They tried their best to solve it, but obviously it is still not working. So after complaining again about a few weeks ago, they told us a new fix is coming very soon. Hopefully, that will continue to work and take a bit of load off of the mod team. 

Need Help? Let's chat.