cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Warning Alert

Johan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just wondering if anyone received the Early Warning Alert that went out yesterday in BC? I thought PM was supost to be part of this? I did not receive a notification.

26 REPLIES 26

Case in point

The Amber Alert they sent out was cancelled

Boy was found in a Tim Hortons

Police are now searching for his mother

Family dispute nothing to see move along

@Yiatiohibut an Amber Alert is in no way an "eminent catastrophy"

Heck most of them (90% according to RCMP) are simple family disputes when 1 parent takes a kid without permission

So yes I do agree with previous poster that the use of the system could annoy more than help

@Yiatiohi wrote:

OH ...I see so there are times when if there is an eminent catastrophy or one of your loved ones is in danger you would not like to be disturbed or disturb others.

Bingbong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ran out of data from the 90 day 12G data plan. Didn't get a notification lol

A very well written a balanced article about complaints received about the alert system implemented on cell phones:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mobile-emergency-alert-system-amber-alert-1.4662609

CBC thought it necessary to bring up some of the same issues that I and many others have about this alert system.

First and foremost, this CBC article recognizes that these messages can deliver important information.  It also addresses the official position of the OPP saying that they will use all possible methods to inform people about missing children, as this most recent alert was about a child who was missing but then thankfully found safe.

Discussed was the repetitive nature of th alerts and how 4 messages were sent out saying exactly the same thing.  Also brought up is how people have alredy started to possibly condition themselves to ignore alerts.  A security expert was interviewed and he metioned how this could actually diminish peoples' awareness and alertness levels.

Apparently, there is a way for messages to be regionalized, but it appears that some alerts are going out across the entire province, prompting talk about the relevance of some alerts.

The concept of turning off your phone was mentioned and that people could also turn the sound on their phones off.  However, as we already know, this doesn't always work, and that on some phones, the alert sound went off anyway (in the case of phones in muted mode).

It's reported that the cell phone carriers wanted customers to be able to opt out of this system.  Customers also have to be connected to an LTE network to receive alerts.  If that is true, some people will just force their phones to not connect to an LTE network.

Clearly, this alert sysytem will be able to save some lives.  There have been some reported glitches of some people not receiving alert messages (I never received the test messages), so this system appears to be a work in progress.

Yiatiohi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Yiatiohi wrote:

You don't want   to appear insensitive  and most likely don't think that you are -- BUT you are very insensitive - 

Excuse me?  My message applies to all of these alerts.  I simply mentioned the Amber Alert because I know that there was one issued.  I said nothing about whether or not alerts should be sent.  If you wish to discuss or debate, that's fine, but leave the personal attacks out of it.  I am discussing the manner in which alerts are delivered, the fact that there is an overlap with messages being repeated, and that the alerts can't be disabled even though you may already be aware of them (the alert system ignores your phone's settings).

No personal attack intended - 

@Yiatiohi wrote:

You don't want   to appear insensitive  and most likely don't think that you are -- BUT you are very insensitive - 

Excuse me?  My message applies to all of these alerts.  I simply mentioned the Amber Alert because I know that there was one issued.  I said nothing about whether or not alerts should be sent.  If you wish to discuss or debate, that's fine, but leave the personal attacks out of it.  I am discussing the manner in which alerts are delivered, the fact that there is an overlap with messages being repeated, and that the alerts can't be disabled even though you may already be aware of them (the alert system ignores your phone's settings).

Alpaca

Both the original poster and myself have already acknowledged the importance of the alerts and are reflecting our concern about how they are communicated.

Nevertheless, if you're fine with a loud alert during a funeral, a business presentation, a marriage breakup etc, that's your prerogative. At this point, let's agree to disagree. Nothing further can be gained by going on as both of us do not ultimately control how this function will be disseminated.

I didn't hear the tone, my phone was connected to a Bluetooth Speaker, and I have it set to only send 'media data' to the speaker (nice option if you have it).

It did mute the speaker, but the alert was displayed on screen, and the phone vibrated for about 4 seconds.

Yiatiohi

@Alpaca wrote:

It's a legitimate concern and he/she stated they didn't want to appear insensitive as a way of acknowledging that alerts are important yet they have a concern about them.

There are times the loud alert would be received in sensitive situations like during a funeral, business meeting, in a hospital etc. 

OH ...I see so there are times when if there is an eminent catastrophy or one of your loved ones is in danger you would not like to be disturbed or disturb others.

Alpaca

It's a legitimate concern and he/she stated they didn't want to appear insensitive as a way of acknowledging that alerts are important yet they have a concern about them.

There are times the loud alert would be received in sensitive situations like during a funeral, business meeting, in a hospital etc. 

Yiatiohi

Got it on my Bell servive  but not PM service.

Yiatiohi

I know that no one wants to appear insensitive to an amber alert situation, and I certainly hope they find any child safe and sound, but I fear that for these alerts, annoying the crap out of people might be counter productive.  Sending an alert out multiple times with a loud, ear-piercing sound and making any alert pop up on top fo everything else on your phone's screen is just going to condition people to immediately silence the tone every time it goes off and click on "ok" to dismiss the alert messages without even reading it.

Further, the Emergency Broadcast System alerts are actually overriding the user's phone settings to disable such messages and for the message popups.

I'm not actually actually against receivng any alert information, but it's the alert tone and the pop up that bothers me.  Also, there are already apps on my phone that relay this type of information to me (weather apps).

Strangely, the test alerts were never received earlier in the week.

@Alpaca, it was actually a real emergency alert this time.  I and others have already reported this.

Also, I didn't receive the alert last week, as my phone is unsupported - HOWEVER I got this alert.

Alpaca

An Amber alert just came on for Ontario. Some of my friends on Rogers got it but I didn't. I'm on an iPhone 8 plus with LTE. I also didn't get anything during the test earlier in the month.

Yiatiohi

I'm also with BELL and didn't receive anything.

@Johan wrote:

Just wondering if anyone received the Early Warning Alert that went out yesterday in BC? I thought PM was supost to be part of this? I did not receive a notification.

Alert Ready uses SMS-CB, different from standard SMS protocols.

SMS-CB reception is intrinsically supported by the hardware on almost every SMS-capable device built after 2008, and all UMTS-capable devices, and all LTE-capable devices.  You can reasonably assume your phone can receive these alerts unless it's at least a decade old or it's running (unregulated) aftermarket operating system firmware/software ... basically, your phone will receive Canadian SMS-CB alerts as long as it can communicate with any Canadian cellular network (unless you've deliberately changed the OEM defaults).  Yes, your phone needs to be powered on and receiving signal (although it might receive strong broadcasts from outside normal signal range).  No, your phone doesn't strictly require Cellular Data is active or enabled (unless Alert Ready broadcasts photos or attachments, lol).

SMS-CB transmission requires hardware on the network.  Which is what the Big Three (or Four) are all installing, configuring, and testing.

David01

There's been a lot of issues with it. It's a new concept, so like anything else, they'll have to work the bugs out. I'm sure it will be up and running soon 😀

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Johan wrote:

I have an I-phone and have received notices from PM about the system before.

What version of iOS do you have?  (Mind you, the emergency alert system worked for me 2-3 years ago when I was in the U.S. and was on iOS 8 or so, so I don't imagine it's dependent on having the latest iOS 11+).

Note that these are not SMS notifications like the PM ones you get about billing, usage, etc., so receiving those is no indication about the likelihood of receiving emergency alerts.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Although on Koodo and not PM (which I wouldn't think would matter as both use Telus infrastructure anyway), of three lines two got the alert and one did not. This is in BC.

Phones (all non-carrier, purchased from Staples):

1. ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom, Maple Ridge - YES
  2. ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom, Coquitlam - YES
  3. Acer Liquid Zest Plus, Maple Ridge - NOPE

The Acer was in an area with lots of other phones (high school) and I'm told only a few got the alert (the majority did not).

I would presume there will be more tests and they will work the kinks out.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The Ontario test was a bit of a gong show.  But then again, this is one of the reasons for having a test.  You want to bugs to be identified in a test and not a real incident.

Barth

And I found the reference to compatible devices on Koodo's website. It will be the same for PM.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/wireless-public-alerting-compatible-devices

Barth

I received the alert on my Moto X, and my wife received the alert on her Moto G. Although, hers was the only phone in an office with a dozen phones to receive it.

I agree with @bryclops about the criteria.

1. An LTE-device like a smartphone (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”)
  2. Wireless public alerting (WPA)-compatible
  3. Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued.

According to the CBC, there were glitches reported as emergency alert testing resumes across Canada.

bryclops

I think read that your phone has to be LTE capable so if you had LTE turned off and were only using 3G that could be a reason why it didn't work.

I'm in Ontario and it did not work for me but Ontario had a lot of issues.  I had 3 phones from different providers and none worked.  I had Tbaytel on 3G, Speakout wireless with no data, and Public Mobile with LTE.

Johan

I have an I-phone and have received notices from PM about the system before.

specialK

what device do you have? I'm in BC using an Essential PH-1 and I got the alert.

Need Help? Let's chat.