cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls and poor call quality Calgary

Al666
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Calgary sw here. Calls are being dropped or cutting out where the other party can’t here you. I’m not a heavy user so just wondering how bad this Telus network is?

16 REPLIES 16

@gregoryevans003You can check out this map to see the coverage variations. Red for Rogers, Green for Telus and White for Freedom. All 3 should be great within Calgary since it is AbTel (now Telus) and Shaw (Freedom)'s home turf. If you still have access to another carrier try your trip again. Also cars in general are natural faraday cages.. so if you had changed your car in the interim (along with your provider) make sure you read up how to optimize signal for you particular car, in general any place underneath the car's beltline will have worse signal because of the metal. Also some particular car trims will have extra cellphone antennas for signal boosting etc.

@AnonymousNo that's the 6 with no s that has the antenna problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gregoryevans003 wrote:

Thanks GINYVR, my phone is an IPhone 6s from Canada. The thing is it works fine sometimes then just drops out of service for 10-15 mins then back on etc. probably won’t be sticking around if this is how the service is.

Is that the one with the notorious antenna problem? Maybe have it checked out at an Apple store.

gregoryevans003
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks GINYVR, my phone is an IPhone 6s from Canada. The thing is it works fine sometimes then just drops out of service for 10-15 mins then back on etc. probably won’t be sticking around if this is how the service is.

@gregoryevans003If you are not from here are you using a phone that is designed for North America? eg phones from China eg Xiaomi don't have frequency bands which providers use to provide the best coverage, even American iPhones some of them are tailored for CDMA as recent as iPhone 7 (~3 years ago), which is no longer used in Canada. There is a lot of variables with a BYOD service..

gregoryevans003

I was driving through Calgary with google maps loaded and it turned out to be a complete nightmear as I am not from here and the service would drop out every 10 minutes! Not a happy customer 1 day into my plan.

CHNR3858

I reboot at least once a day and the issue persists.

@CHNR3858 wrote:

I'm not from Calgary - actually in Toronto and have also been experincing issues with calls being dropped. I was in Ottawa for a business trip yesterday and the same issue happened to me there as well.

I have read about this issue on other forums as well and now suspect that it's a network issue.

I know it's a drag but cycle your phone off / on peridically. PM is busy fixing whatever bug is at work and the cycle processs might be part of the solution eventually.

Good luck.

CHNR3858

I'm not from Calgary - actually in Toronto and have also been experincing issues with calls being dropped. I was in Ottawa for a business trip yesterday and the same issue happened to me there as well.

I have read about this issue on other forums as well and now suspect that it's a network issue.

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not as a solution, but a stopgap is to download textnow or fongo if you have access to wifi. Either one will give you a free Canadian phone number, and free calls over wifi. At least it'll get you properly connected to the outside world.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you guys, and I hope the mods will resolve it somewhat more speedily! There have been far too many issues at PM of late.

Apparently many are having the issue.  Cat Happy

aydmblaze

I'm also in Calgary and have been getting dropped calls. Really annoying because I'm trying to talk to my bank.

Al666

It doesn’t take a genius to figure what’s going on. If it was an unknown issue with the network, maybe the mods should take less then a day to reply to our concerns. Having online customer support doesn’t equate to offline responses. Public mobile is a paid service and a for-profit entity. 

@Al666 wrote:

I suspect pubic mobile is dropping our calls to accommodate Koodo and Telus mobility network traffic. If it was one tower then it’s a tower issue if it across the city then it’s a network issue.  It doesn’t matter if you are on the largest mobile network when you are being pushed aside for others. 

Where did you get information to support this?  I would believe in unicorns before taking such statements seriously.  If you have substantiated information to assist customers, by all means share it.  Please don't thread crap.  

Al666

I suspect pubic mobile is dropping our calls to accommodate Koodo and Telus mobility network traffic. If it was one tower then it’s a tower issue if it across the city then it’s a network issue.  It doesn’t matter if you are on the largest mobile network when you are being pushed aside for others. 

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oh, welcome to the club. I live in Calgary too (NW) and have calls dropping as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.