cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing attention to a topic

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have found multiple times when I'm in the middle of helping a community member I need to go for something else but don't like to just leave the customer hanging. If it's a newish topic or has lots of attention from other members I know someone will continue to help them but when it's an old thread usually nobody will respond in a timely manner. I'm sure this is because unless other members are searching for it in the latest posts they won't know that someone needs help. What is the best method of drawing attention to these topics?

I've thought about mentioning others members who are online and reliable, private messaging those users, or if there was an @oracles using it. 

And yes, I tell those users to make a new topic but some just won't.

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

I catch up when I'm back to the computer. Overnight, that can take several pages.

@Anonymous this is my typical usage, too.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jp2 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just stay on Latest Posts. That way I can see all new postings from whichever topic and thread.

That is what I do as well but when someone doing that isn't online posts get missed. 

I catch up when I'm back to the computer. Overnight, that can take several pages.

jp2

@Anonymous wrote:

I just stay on Latest Posts. That way I can see all new postings from whichever topic and thread.

That is what I do as well but when someone doing that isn't online posts get missed. 

jp2

Locking threads may work it would definitely stop people from posting in threads that have been dead for years

koimr1

I generally just go to the most recent posts:

Public Mobile - Latest Posts

This just shows the latest posts in order, regardless of topic.

Although that also catches people posting in old threads I'd still suggest that after a post has been marked as a solution it gets locked after a certain period of time.

Example: Post gets marked as a solution, thread is closed two days later (to allow for continued discussion).

Same with threads that haven't been posted in for.... say, several months.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jp2 wrote:

I have found multiple times when I'm in the middle of helping a community member I need to go for something else but don't like to just leave the customer hanging. If it's a newish topic or has lots of attention from other members I know someone will continue to help them but when it's an old thread usually nobody will respond in a timely manner. I'm sure this is because unless other members are searching for it in the latest posts they won't know that someone needs help. What is the best method of drawing attention to these topics?

@I've thought about mentioning others members who are online and reliable, private messaging those users, or if there was an @oracles using it. 

And yes, I tell those users to make a new topic but some just won't.

I click on the Recent Post title and it will list them in chronological order and go through them that way to see if there is posts I can help on

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I Tried to create some of the MORE Common Solutions here and there to help simplify this. Previously

jp2

@will13am wrote:

On the community landing page, there's a list of recent topics and recent posts.  Even posting in an old thread is easy to pick out.

I disagree because many users only look at the recent topics which are thereby how new they are not by how recently someone posted in them. 

The recent posts are often missed because there are so many other posts that it is almost immediately buried. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire
This forum is so poorly designed.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

On the community landing page, there's a list of recent topics and recent posts.  Even posting in an old thread is easy to pick out.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.