cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public Mobile have RCS?

adobochad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, do we know if Public Mobile supports RCS? I am on a google pixel 2 xl, and am trying to use the Messages app, and apparently, there is something called "Chat Features" https://www.droid-life.com/2018/12/06/how-to-get-chat-rcs-features-on-verizon-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl/.

However, for me, I completely do not have that option. I've tried various things, and it seems to be that it comes down to whether or not RCS is supported. And if Public Mobile does, I would need to speak to a PM about possibly resetting something so that my SIM/whatever has access to that. 

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

MrScruples
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For what it's worth: I was actually using RCS chat features in Messages for quite some time on my Pixel XL under Android 10 -- it was great! My wife has the feature activated on her Nokia 6.1 (Android 9) on a Freedom Mobile account, so I can confirm that the service exists *in some form* on both Telus' and Rogers' networks here in the GTA..

I say, "in some form," because I haven't been able to get it running on my Pixel 4XL yet 😞

I have read that Google has decided to set up their own RCS service in the US because the carriers were dragging their feet, so perhaps they'll roll it out in Canada as well.. the whole situation is really incredibly irritating since I know for a fact that it works!

EDIT: ok, sorry folks, I just realized I jumped into an old thread here with some not very useful info..

I managed to get RCS up and running by following the instructions in this post.

@geopublic wrote:

@ZfromVanC wrote:

PM runs on Telus' network and unfortunately Telus doesn't have RCS service. They've said its "in the works" but no estimate on when it would be released.

My guess is that even if it was available for Telus customers it would not be offered by PM. Another one to put on the wish list Smiley Happy

1. LTE data
  2. VoLTE
  3.  RCS??...
  4. ......

Public has real LTE data. The price just isn't good.

@ZfromVanC wrote:

PM runs on Telus' network and unfortunately Telus doesn't have RCS service. They've said its "in the works" but no estimate on when it would be released.

My guess is that even if it was available for Telus customers it would not be offered by PM. Another one to put on the wish list Smiley Happy

1. LTE data
  2. VoLTE
  3.  RCS??...
  4. ......

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Need Help? Let's chat.