cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to activate your new sim card to use it?

jblack86
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm activating my new sim card and it's asking me to set up a new account. But won't that set up a new number? I don't want a new number, please help.

19 REPLIES 19

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker happens to the best of us!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

My apologies, I was mistaken.  Thanks for the correction of my mistake!

The phone is definitely compatible according to the specs here: https://ca.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-pixi4/

CONNECTIVITY

• LTE/HSPA+/WCDMA/GSM
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
  • UMTS: B2/4/5
  • LTE: 2/4/5/12/17

If you're absolutely sure you entered the new SIM ICCID correctly, you should reach out to the moderators for assistance.

@jblack86, what message are you seeing on your phone exactly?

jblack86

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

If this link is for your phone, it appears it is not compatible with the Telus (or Bell) network.

You could use it on Rogers / Fido network, as it has a 2G network ability.

@stonechucker I disagree with your conclusion.  Looking at that spec sheet shows...

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Both 850 MHz and 1900 MHz HSDPA is supported, suggesting the device is compatible.  

Yup it works. Thanks.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

If this link is for your phone, it appears it is not compatible with the Telus (or Bell) network.

@stonechucker I disagree with your conclusion.  Looking at that spec sheet shows...

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Both 850 MHz and 1900 MHz HSDPA is supported, suggesting the device is compatible.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jblack86 Try this SIM card in a different compatible phone and see if it works. If it doesn’t work, then it is defective and you will need to send a private message to a Moderator_Team, they will help to resolve your problem!
Here is the link: click here
In your message, please provide your name, Public Mobile account number or phone number and PIN.
Good luck! Woman Happy

Contact Support hours of operation:
Monday - Friday 9AM (EDT) - 9PM (EDT) Saturday - Sunday 9AM (EDT) - 7:30PM (EDT)

jblack86

@smp99 wrote:

Reboot the phone?

tried many times. Took the battery out and reinserted the sim at least 5 times.

smp99

Reboot the phone?

jblack86

@matbasm wrote:

@jblack86 wrote:

I already have a public mobile account. I bought a new sim card because I lost my old one. I changed the sim card number inserted it into the phone but the phone is not recognizing it.

Can you elaborate.  What message do you get?  Also, did everything go smoothly when you did the SIM card change in the portal?

Yes, when I changed it online it said successful. Which would explain why when I tried to activiate it didn't work. But still don't understand why cell phone won't recognize (Alcatel Pixi 4).

jblack86

Yes I have a pm account

matbasm

@jblack86 wrote:

I already have a public mobile account. I bought a new sim card because I lost my old one. I changed the sim card number inserted it into the phone but the phone is not recognizing it.

Can you elaborate.  What message do you get?  Also, did everything go smoothly when you did the SIM card change in the portal?

smp99

Ok  then log into your account and enter the new SIM number under change/update SIM

smp99

@jblack86 wrote:

I tried changing the sim card number without activating it and it is not working.

Do you already have a current Public Mobile account?  This will help with the answers

jblack86

smp99

Do you already have a Public Mobile account and you just want to use a new SIM?  Then log into your account and find the section to update or change SIM. 

If you are moving to Public Mobile from another service provider,  then yes select a new (just temporary) number. Then once the account is up and running then log into your new account and under profile you can change your number. This is where you can port in your current number that you want to keep. 

Keep us updated

jblack86

I tried changing the sim card number without activating it and it is not working.

matbasm

@jblack86, if you got this new SIM card because you lost your previous one, then you do not want to do a new activation.  In this case you go into your self serve account, go to Plan and Add-ons, and simply Change your SIM card.

If you are moving from another provider to Public mobile, you need to do an activation/registration of a new account.  During the activation process, you can specify whether you want to get a new number, or port in your old number from another carrier (or land/VOIP line).  You can also take a new number during activation, and then (once everything is working), port in the number from previous provider.  keep in mind that your account must remain active with your previous provider until the number is ported over (to Public Mobile)

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, you have to activate the sim card to use it. The account set up is for the self-serve account. If you already have an existing number, you can select to port in either during sign up or later from the self-serve account if you chose a new number. Make sure your account at another carrier is active in order to port in your number to public mobile. 

EDIT: OP already has PM account Smiley Embarassed. Looking to change the sim card. 

Need Help? Let's chat.