cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Public Mobile(Telus) users also have full shared access to the Bell network as reg Telus users?

downtownR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As I understand Public Mobile is a Telus company and uses the Telus network.

Telus and Bell have a reciprocal network sharing agreement.

Do Public Mobile(Telus) subscribers also have full shared access to the Bell network as  "regular" Telus brand customers? 

23 REPLIES 23

bilal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
As far as I know, 3g/4g network (HSPA) is actively being shared by telus and Bell. FOR LTE, the physical towers are being shared but not the network.

I typically keep my phone on HSPA, far better reception and battery life.

OK. I have Graveyard shift. Night. Have Good Supper and Rest

A fact is a fact.

And PM/Telus/Koodo have By far and large, they have kept up their end of things

PPL need to understand this

Like WiFi, interferences outside PM/Koodo/Telus's control can affect Signal and speed. Its just a fact, and as long as we get consistent speeds that is fair, and reliable, That's all that should matter, Not the "I want Full speeds, Why I'm not getting Full Speeds? Is PM Defrauding..." That has got to stop. I am Happy with what I have. That's what matters to me. PM has, Is, and will be My All-Time Favorite Carrier,

Hands-Down

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

I pulled an all-nighter, and I have yet to have lunch or dinner. I'm going to have both now, with my phone's power off. See ya tomorrow!

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

You're welcome. Thank you for accepting my input in the spirit in which it was offerred. 🙂

@Martin, that's what I initially thought, in regards to Speeds for LTE

That's a Valid point

Martin
Legend
Legend
downtownR,

As to advertised speeds vs. actual ones, PM/Koodo/Telus are not engaging in false advertising.

For instance, let's say that they promise speeds at, or up to, X MBPS. If they can transmit a signal at the above speed for one millionth of a nano-second, they have fulfilled their contractual or advertised obligation.

FYI.

So that means, Public Mobile is Still its Own Co.

But more like a Subsidiary of Telus, Autonomous to high degree?

Just curious to know. 

Oh? OK. That I did not know.

Thanks for that Clarification @Martin

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

A correction is in order regarding today's 6:34 pm EDT post.

PM is not an MVNO, regardless of what Wikipedia states. Anyone can edit the article, no matter one's competence or incompetence in the subject matter.

PM is a full-fledged company in its own right; it does not lease wireless phone or data services from Telus.

7-11 is a typical example of an MVNO. It leases services from one of the Big 3, and then resells them.

FYI.

@Luddite@downtownR, NO Carrier CAN guarantee anything

Things can happen, that's Normal

Can't Blame PM for something beyond their Ability

Yes, I see that difference between the bandwidthplace and the app OpenSignal when checking with my iPod. Either way, LTE speeds never seem as advertised whenever I have checked. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

downtownR

Just tried my Fido/Rogers iPhone on LTE (2 bars signal strength downtown Toronto )and only got 2.4 Mps down and 1.83 up with a 31 ms ping.  Looks like your PM/Telus speed is way faster, although neither is anywhere near the advertised network speeds.

downtownR

Thanks Luddite.

I tried my own home computer on that site and got only 7mbs 

But when I went to http://www.speedtest.net I got 47mbs on the very same connection.

The difference seems to be that speedtest uses the closest test server to see how well your actual connection to the net is, whereas the site you used connected me to a server in MOntreal (I am in Toronto)

Care to try the same test at http://www.speedtest.net 

@downtownR I am on the very fringe of LTE, which usually defaults to 3G, and my test result from bandwidthplace.com just completed was:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest-results/?res=55e0ecb3b08096.14571843-36603901&source=email

There is no harm in ordering a Tri-Sim from Public Mobile

Believe me, I am also enjoying every minute of being a Public Mobile Client

downtownR

I am just asking a question as I want to migrate from Fido/Rogers to Telus or Bell because my condo has unreliable signal from Fido/Rogers but STRONG signal from Bell and good signal from Telus.   There is a Bell transmitter within 200 m of my suite so am just wondering which cell my new Public Mobile service might be more inclined to connect to.   I understand that the only real test will be when I get my SIM and activate it but just wanted to ask around a bit while I am sitting by my mailbox!

Would also be interested in finding out if the "new" (supposedly faster) Bell LTE service is also shared by Telus/PM.

Can anyone share their actual PM download speeds on the PM LTE network?

Yes, we were all aware.

May I ask, Do you have any issues, inquiries, ideas, suggestions?

downtownR

here is a link to a Globe and Mail article referring to the network sharing agreement

> Telus signed a network sharing agreement for LTE with rival BCE. The two companies, which already share a wireless network, only plan to share infrastructure and not spectrum for LTE.<

Interesting minutae that it refers to "infrastructure" and excludes "spectrum".

Public Mobile is a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) 100% Subsidiary of Telus Corp.

Public Mobile is Using the Telus HSPA+4G Network

Same as Koodo

Same as Telus

downtownR

Telus and Bell do indeed share their networks, not just towers through a formal reciprocity agreement.  Of this I am certain.  I do not know how they load balance or priorotize the calls but they do share the networks.

However, I wonder if the Public Mobile subscriber is seen as a full fledged "Telus" user with regards to this reciproal agreement?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Telus and Bell have a reciprocal tower-sharing agreement, not network-sharing.

What Luddite posted is spot-on correct.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

PM customers have same network as Telus customers. They do not use the Bell network per se; I believe they share the towers not the network.

Need Help? Let's chat.