cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Voicemail

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

(I'm not sure where else this sort of topic would go, so here I am in discussions.)

Hi,

I think it would be nice to be able to disable voicemail because I never use it. I had it with Fido and previous carriers and Fido is where I, for the first time, called them up and asked them to disable it for me to which they obliged. Such is not the case with Public Mobile, I asked the moderation team over a month ago (I think it's been that long) and they said disabling the voicemail isn't possible so I am here today to request such to be possible.

To make a quick note of it, I had Lucky Mobile for a brief period of time and upon calling them, they also obliged to disable it. Lucky Mobile is a third tier carrier just like Public Mobile -- so perhaps Public Mobile just doesn't want to do this? I don't know anything for certain but it would be nice to disable what I don't use or care to use.

I got called by a number today that I don't know, my phone said that the number was from Canada but indicated no province or city/town. I used whitepages.com and got nowhere with the number, tried a few other websites and no dice.

The number in question that called me left a voicemail and in order to listen to the voicemail and delete it I'd have to set up my voicemail and I don't want to do that.

So, uh... If you're in agreement of being able to disable voicemail, vote this up. Man Happy

10 REPLIES 10

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

For unknown numbers that seem like spam I just reply by automated text. To set this up on iPhones just go to settings - Phone -- and set up your custom "Respond with Text".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Obice wrote:

Since it is quite obvious that there will be no disabling of the voicemail, for how long are voicemails kept in the voicemail box till they are removed?

Without looking, I think it's 10 days.

Also without looking, I think the vmail box only holds 10 messages too. Another trick might be to fill it up over 10 days and then it won't take anymore messages and then keep it topped up every day. But why bother when there's the extended absence option with the block messages.

Obice

Since it is quite obvious that there will be no disabling of the voicemail, for how long are voicemails kept in the voicemail box till they are removed?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Obice wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice  Click on the link:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

This is not a solution, it is beating around the bush.

@Obice it's a workaround.  Simply note in the outgoing message that you're unavailable and not accepting voicemail messages, and turn off the ability to record messages.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Obice

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice  Click on the link:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

This is not a solution, it is beating around the bush.

Obice

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

(I'm not sure where else this sort of topic would go, so here I am in discussions.)

Hi,

I think it would be nice to be able to disable voicemail because I never use it. I had it with Fido and previous carriers and Fido is where I, for the first time, called them up and asked them to disable it for me to which they obliged. Such is not the case with Public Mobile, I asked the moderation team over a month ago (I think it's been that long) and they said disabling the voicemail isn't possible so I am here today to request such to be possible.

To make a quick note of it, I had Lucky Mobile for a brief period of time and upon calling them, they also obliged to disable it. Lucky Mobile is a third tier carrier just like Public Mobile -- so perhaps Public Mobile just doesn't want to do this? I don't know anything for certain but it would be nice to disable what I don't use or care to use.

I got called by a number today that I don't know, my phone said that the number was from Canada but indicated no province or city/town. I used whitepages.com and got nowhere with the number, tried a few other websites and no dice.

The number in question that called me left a voicemail and in order to listen to the voicemail and delete it I'd have to set up my voicemail and I don't want to do that.

So, uh... If you're in agreement of being able to disable voicemail, vote this up. Man Happy

No there's no way. The extended absence is the best they offer. You'll still get calls though. That's a whole other thing. Rather than telling the phone to ignore a call - some services have a way to not let a call reach you at all to begin with. Also not available here. So all you can do is block the call. I use a contact. Get a call. Answer it to find that I don't care to ever hear from them again and add the number to my contact. That contact is configured to not notify me of a call from them. But the phone still lights up albeit quietly and they still go to voicemail where the extended absence greeting stops anyone from leaving a message.

It's unsavoury to fish for bravo's by the way.

Right.............................. and I rarely fish for "likes/bravoes/etc", I just figured that's the lingo of today and also seems to be the way to get noticed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

No there's no way. The extended absence is the best they offer. You'll still get calls though. That's a whole other thing. Rather than telling the phone to ignore a call - some services have a way to not let a call reach you at all to begin with. Also not available here. So all you can do is block the call. I use a contact. Get a call. Answer it to find that I don't care to ever hear from them again and add the number to my contact. That contact is configured to not notify me of a call from them. But the phone still lights up albeit quietly and they still go to voicemail where the extended absence greeting stops anyone from leaving a message.

It's unsavoury to fish for bravo's by the way.

Need Help? Let's chat.