cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete posts

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Is it possible to delete posts here?  And if possible, please explain how its done. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

@Meow curious, what is the problem for go back and modify the post and delete all the content and leave it blank?

@Meow 

Once posted there is not a lot you can do other than delete but you have options if you have not posted yet. And you can always preview before you post but I forget to that all the time.

Screenshot_20210920-142558.png

Yes a period of time allowed to edit or even delete a reply would be good (but unlikely to be changed to that method). You can of course remove or strike out what you wrote and then possibly write “Reply deleted as irrelevant” or something like that.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

Deleting posts can be a touchy subject. I'm a moderator in a different forum where someone who had posted a LOT of quality material over several years became disgruntled and went about systematically deleting his posts from topics before

Sorry to reviving this old topic but I just had a case of fast reading initial post, replying and after reading initial post again, realizing answer has little sense. Had to modify my post but not much value added 😞

What will be OK in this case if I was given an opportunity to delete my post within let say 5-10 minutes and after that post will be locked.

And yes, instead of starting new topic (can I delete my posts?), I did search first finding this old topic!

Deleting posts can be a touchy subject. I'm a moderator in a different forum where someone who had posted a LOT of quality material over several years became disgruntled and went about systematically deleting his posts from topics before leaving the group. Now maybe others think that should be his right to do but....  Other forum members had invested large amounts of their time interacting with, adding to and asking questions based on these now deleted posts leaving the entire topic close to being a useless mess. IMHO as soon as you post the post belongs to the group and is no longer yours to do with as you please. We had to set an editing timer to allow edits for one week only and that after one week regular members could no longer do anything to those posts.  

I have seen posts here that are an empty topic with replies to non existent questions. Someone got their answer and deleted their question leaving no history for others to possibly find their answer without posting a new question. Again, IMHO an insult to those who took the time to reply initially.

AE_Collector

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma small favour: when you're starting a new thread to ask a question, could you please add a question mark at the end of the subject?  "Delete posts" is a lot different than "Delete posts?" or even "Can we delete our posts?".  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma wrote:

Is it possible to delete posts here?  And if possible, please explain how its done. Thanks.

Its better to concentrate on quality posts.   but in the past  I have either deleted all the text, or used a strike trough  to highlight/cancel erronious content. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can only edit your post.

I believe if you make it long (we're taking crime and punishment long) or with links that look like advertisements you can get it suspended for review by mods (which really is just a graveyard for posts) or you can make it blank.

Moderators have power of removing them but it's really waste of time

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblackma wrote:

We mortals can only clear the contents. I don't think Oracle's need to spend that time.

Need Help? Let's chat.