cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in daylight savings network time change?

Sven
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Was there a network delay this morning for daylight savings for Nova Scotia?  My phone time is based on the network time.  The network time did NOT change for daylight savings until 0450. Not at 0200 as per the Time Definition Act of Nova Scotia. ( https://nslegislature.ca/sites/default/files/legc/statutes/timedefn.htm ) Due to this delay in the change of time I was automatically late for work.  So thank you to who ever is in charge of keeping the servers up to date.

9 REPLIES 9

I believe when the phone is set to auto time zone, the info is delivered from the Telus core network. The phone can't update itself because it has no way of knowing which jurisdiction it is in. For example, Saskatchewan does not have daylight savings time. So the phone must be instructed by the network.

I think @Sven is saying it should've updated a few hours earlier than it did. Spring should change from 1:59am to 3:00am. If the change happened a few hours later, it would still be correct by 6am, so most people wouldn't notice it. By 6am it would've been too late to check whether it was updated on time. The only way to know is to look at your phone between 2:00am and 4:50am.

@slash407 wrote:

u can change them under settings on date and time input, and make it change auto during daylight savings hr

This thread was about automatic settings not working properly.  If anything, the OP would want to disable auto time for the next time change.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

No problems in ON. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Is 2:00 am all over North America

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

I thought it was 2am that the change happens. Is it different in some places?

@computergeek541 depends on the direction.  In the spring, 1AM becomes 2AM ("spring forward"), while in the fall, 2AM becomes 1AM ("fall back") EDIT no, this is wrong.  Sorry for any confusion.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

I noticed it was delayed as well in the Pacific time zone.  Was at my gf's place, arrived home just after 1AM (old time).  My phone still displayed 1:xx AM, while my Shaw DVR display showed 2:xx AM.  It was like that until after 2:30 AM (new time) when I went to sleep.  When I woke up just after 8AM (new time), my phone was current.  I don't know exactly when it swtiched, but it wasn't at 1AM like the DVR was.  

I thought it was 2am that the change happens. Is it different in some places?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I noticed it was delayed as well in the Pacific time zone.  Was at my gf's place, arrived home just after 1AM (old time).  My phone still displayed 1:xx AM, while my Shaw DVR display showed 2:xx AM.  It was like that until after 2:30 AM (new time) when I went to sleep.  When I woke up just after 8AM (new time), my phone was current.  I don't know exactly when it swtiched, but it wasn't at 1AM like the DVR was.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Sven wrote:

Was there a network delay this morning for daylight savings for Nova Scotia?  My phone time is based on the network time.  The network time did NOT change for daylight savings until 0450. Not at 0200 as per the Time Definition Act of Nova Scotia. ( https://nslegislature.ca/sites/default/files/legc/statutes/timedefn.htm ) Due to this delay in the change of time I was automatically late for work.  So thank you to who ever is in charge of keeping the servers up to date.

For most people, this is probably no longer an issue as many phones can autoatically set time even without a cellular network connnection these days.  It's also possible that the device's software could have come into play here by not checking for the current time until a preset amount of time.

The entire point of doing these times changes early on a Sunday monring is likely to limit the amount of these types of occurances.  A suggestion for the future for anyone needing to go into work on the same day as a time change would be to turn off automatic network and internet time and to set to set the time manually and the also disable automatic DST changes.    At the very least, by doing this, the person will know if the the time has already been adjusted or not.  You would have to remember yourself that that it has not been done yet.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In Quebec had no issue. Had alarm set to go off on my phone at 6:30am for work. It went off at the right time. 

Need Help? Let's chat.