cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data without DATA??!

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Update.  Seems to be a setting within Developer  Options.  Silly.

This is bizarre. My WiFi and data are off.  Yet I'm still able browse, post (here, Facebook) etc.  WTF?Screenshot_20200226-004101.png

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin wrote:

I don't seem to have that setting.

Yeah that's why I added that those are the instructions on my phone. Maybe the Google Pixel 3a XL running it's version of Android calls it something else so I was putting it out there as an idea to look for. Like maybe smart network switch. A lot like the aPple wifi assist.

rossputin

@ddeep91 

Your suggestion certainly worked but it was strange the issue came back despite the proper settings.

Regardless turning airplane mode on then off seemed to correct the issue (for anyone looking at this).

rossputin

I don't seem to have that setting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin 

Is this old news?...turn on wifi, turn on cell data. Settings/Connections/Wifi/ 3 dots upper right - Advanced. Under Adaptive Wi-Fi -> Switch to mobile data...is this on or off?

(this is on a S7 running stock A8)

rossputin

That is correct.

BUT it gets weirder.  I briefly turned on then off airplane mode (to see if data was still accessable).  And it properly DIDN'T allow data access.

But it then (properly) prohibited data with the others still off.  Make sense?  It's as if airplane mode reset the settings.

Screenshot_20200327-200851~2.png

Screenshot_20200327-200841~2.png

rossputin

Yes.  But it seems to be happening again. Even with that option off!

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gblackma wrote:

Thanks for informing me about that @will13am. It seems that even though all Android phones have this option it has to be enabled. And it disappears if you disable it.  Might have been a tad more helpful if you mentioned this. For anyone wishing to turn this option on Use this article . And could someone please tell me what the value of enabling this option is? Thanks in advance.

Well, it is recommended that we don't use "developer options unless we have to.

In my old phone, I had to enable developer options because I wanted to see the "battery percentage". They give us access for those small things but only a handful of people use them.

Benefits of Developer Options

Stay Awake: Enabling this option will keep your phone’s screen awake anytime and every time it is plugged in. This feature is essentially helpful for developer.

USB Debugging: This feature allows your Android device to communicate with your computer, via USB. You can also revoke USB debugging authorizations: When you use a computer to debug over USB for the first time, you have to authorize it and set up a keypair.

Select mock location app: This option will allow you to set location information for any specified app. It is helpful for you if you’re developing an app that requires location information.

Show CPU Usage: You can view CPU information on your device’s screen, at all times.

Don’t keep activities: This feature closes every application so soon as you leave its main view. So you should rather be careful while using this feature.

and the list goes on....

Hope this helps

Cheers

@gblackma wrote:

Thanks for informing me about that @will13am. It seems that even though all Android phones have this option it has to be enabled. And it disappears if you disable it.  Might have been a tad more helpful if you mentioned this. For anyone wishing to turn this option on Use this article . And could someone please tell me what the value of enabling this option is? Thanks in advance.

It was already mentioned that GiYF and I certainly don't want to steal your thunder. 

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rossputin 

Your Data must be Enabled in the "Hidden Developer Mode settings" that's why it's still working.

To enable "Developer Mode" follow these steps:

1) Choose Settings and open Phone Status.

2) In the next step tap 7-10 times on Build number to enable Developer Mode.

Phone status UMIDIGI F1 Play

Once It's enabled you will see  "Developer Options

Hope this Helps

Cheers

@gblackma wrote:

@rossputin please post the make and model of your phone. My Umidigi F1 has no developer options. Thanks .

Do you still have a warranty?  My Umidigi phones have developer option.  In fact all my android devices have it.  Smiley Tongue

@gblackma wrote:

@rossputin please post the make and model of your phone. My Umidigi F1 has no developer options. Thanks .

@gblackma  You need to turn Developer options on manually. Google is your friend.🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@rossputin  Is your hotspot off? Maybe its connected to someone? It doesnt say off.

Huh?

Nevermind....i couldn't be bothered to edit out the post......

@darlicious wrote:

@rossputin  Is your hotspot off? Maybe its connected to someone? It doesnt say off.

Huh?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.