cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used for speedtest

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was reading on various speedtest apps and the data they used to conduct the tests.

On an average the app uses 18-20 mb of data for one speed test.

However I also read another article which states that T-Mobile now does not count data usage for speedtest against data allowance.

Does PM or any other mobile company offer this in Canada ? Was curious to know.

10 REPLIES 10

Kujira
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Also keep in mind that speed test apps/sites generally keeps increasing the size of packages it transfers until they decide it's sufficient to conclude. So the data usage can vary a lot depending on the network and speed you're getting.

@imm1304 a couple carriers used to zero rate data for specific services but a certain person took them to court over it claiming it violates net neutrality

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Well, this kind of makes sense.  When you are testing the speed, you are testing how fast the data comes to you (and responses go back).  This, by definition, is data usage!  Sorry guys but I find it unlikely PM would change that any time in the foreseeable future.....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

PBForMe

I just ran a speedtest, it used exactly 93.23 MB, results 48mb down 29mb up. 

weibee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can second that Speedtest used 90MB of data when I tested my data speeds. 

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

2 tests performed at different locations (stopped it after download)

total of 65mb used 

dwayne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On an average the app uses 18-20 mb of data for one speed test.

One of the first things that I did when my Public Mobile account was activated was run a SpeedTest - it used approximately 90 Mb of data.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Definitely not PM; so expect small data usage for that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JMCD

I don't believe any company has a data exempt policy for this. In fact I believe Bell got into trouble a few years back for having their TV streaming service be data exempt. It goes against net neutrality which was why they had to stop, if I'm remembering correctly. So I don't think carriers are allowed/supposed to have anything that is exempt from counting towards your total usage.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @neo911!

The speedtests I did last year used up over 90MB.  Thats way too much and I wouldn't do it again unless I have extra left over on the last day of my plan.  

I am not aware of any Canadian carriers doing what T-mobile does.  

Need Help? Let's chat.