cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Nebula
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wondering, who else likes to 'restrict' their data usage for the first 2 months just so that they can disable wifi in the last month?

I like have 6 gb (started with 12gb) left and 19 days to go 🙂 

I wish I could carry unused data over indefinitely! 

After all my problems with getting my referrals (still ongoing), that is my reason why I am sticking around. The $35 6GB plan was very tempting though...

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

My mom has telus prepaid ($10/month) but she told me that they are now charging her 5$ for the 'plan' and then she only gets $5 of minutes? I am unsure of what is happening but I really need to get her on Public Mobile. Just waiting for the $25 referral credit to come back

I was on that same $10 plan and out of that I used to pay $5 for texting. If i never used the other $5 it would carry over but now they stopped it and it is $10 month and no carry-over.

My mother and MIL are being affected by this change. For their amount of usage, even that tiny monthly plan (I seem to think it's $3) and the 5 minutes is worth it for them. Keep a balance going for overages and they're fine. Both of them barely ever use their cellphone. And yes will13am...they both have flip phones 🙂

@Nebula wrote:

My mom has telus prepaid ($10/month) but she told me that they are now charging her 5$ for the 'plan' and then she only gets $5 of minutes? I am unsure of what is happening but I really need to get her on Public Mobile. Just waiting for the $25 referral credit to come back

I was on that same $10 plan and out of that I used to pay $5 for texting. If i never used the other $5 it would carry over but now they stopped it and it is $10 month and no carry-over.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nebula wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

Data use for me is very variable. Sometimes I'm away from wifi for a long time so I do need the data. 

I signed up for the 90 day plan with 12 GB LTE speed for $120. If i change it, I would pay more for less.

I have mused here about the idea of "data hoarding" as well (and minutes and texts). There was a time not too long ago that I had 6gb per month. I used it primarily for hotspot for a few days at a time frequently throughout three seasons. Barely at all in winter. I went over once in a few years of having it. I no longer need to use hotspot nearly as much as I used to if at all.

If it accumulated (hoarded) then I wouldn't've had to worry about going over. I could use it just about however much I like. But I don't think any service works like that. So here we are.

This post wasn't meant to be a complaint, rather it was me just seeing if others tended to hoard data like I do.

From the sounds of it, I am not the only one ^^

I love Public for allowing me to hoard temporarily.

🙂 But you're not really hoarding it per se are you? You're choosing to use it sparingly and then use a bunch of it when your time is running out. I think some of us in this thread wonder...why?

There isn't a cell service that I know of that lets you actually hoard it. Or what I call accumulate. I wish there was.

Now I'm on the $10 plan and use the add-ons. They're almost kind of a way of hoarding. Another user here has been on an add-on for coming on 2 years.

@Nebula wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

Data use for me is very variable. Sometimes I'm away from wifi for a long time so I do need the data. 

I signed up for the 90 day plan with 12 GB LTE speed for $120. If i change it, I would pay more for less.

I have mused here about the idea of "data hoarding" as well (and minutes and texts). There was a time not too long ago that I had 6gb per month. I used it primarily for hotspot for a few days at a time frequently throughout three seasons. Barely at all in winter. I went over once in a few years of having it. I no longer need to use hotspot nearly as much as I used to if at all.

If it accumulated (hoarded) then I wouldn't've had to worry about going over. I could use it just about however much I like. But I don't think any service works like that. So here we are.

This post wasn't meant to be a complaint, rather it was me just seeing if others tended to hoard data like I do.

The ability to hoard indefinitely would be great, but I think the idea is to get everyone on higher Data plans (at a cost of course) then you do not have to worry about hoarding. It's a win-win situation....You think you are winning and they are!

Nebula

Nebula

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

Yeah, I think the days of carry-over plans are gone. I was on one with Telus and they just said one day that it was over. The disadvantage of prepaid!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nebula wrote:

Nebula

tangerine
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I call that data hoarding. 

Sign me up too!

@RobertQc wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

Just wondering, who else likes to 'restrict' their data usage for the first 2 months just so that they can disable wifi in the last month?

After all my problems with getting my referrals (still ongoing), that is my reason why I am sticking around. The $35 6GB plan was very tempting though...

If you can't even use up all your data in the original time allotment, what would the point be to carry it over?

Maybe look at a cheaper plan with less data.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Nebula wrote:

If you can't even use up all your data in the original time allotment, what would the point be to carry it over? You will just keep building more and more of what you have no need to use.

Use wifi when its available, when its not available use cellular. If you have more than you need consider down grading your plan.

@Nebula wrote: The $35 6GB plan was very tempting though...

I pay $35 for 1GB currently. ($105 for 90 days 3gb)

Need Help? Let's chat.