cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data overages ? What happens when you exceed your monthly data ?

htcuser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was reading on chatr their data policy is no overages, just reduced speeds after exceeding monthly data limit. Does PM also have similar policy i am trying to find more details on overages and costs associated with data overages with PM.

This is what chatr policy for data management is:

(2) If your data usage in a month exceeds your 3G speed data allotment, you can continue to use data with no overage charge, but managed data speeds will be reduced from up to 3 Mbps to up to 64 kilobits per second (for both download and upload) until your Anniversary Date.

19 REPLIES 19

Exceeding will stop

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Public seems happy being the only one in this market not to have unlimited data. Who knows if they'll ever do it.

I expect they'll have to do it sooner rather than later to stay competitive.

@Staliger wrote:

Yes, some providers limit the speed when data reaches it's limit, and others don't allow to reach over the limit. PM belongs to the second option. It would be nice if they introduce such a feature with limited speed over your limit in the future.

Public seems happy being the only one in this market not to have unlimited data. Who knows if they'll ever do it.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@htcuser wrote:

I was reading on chatr their data policy is no overages, just reduced speeds after exceeding monthly data limit. Does PM also have similar policy i am trying to find more details on overages and costs associated with data overages with PM.

This is what chatr policy for data management is:

(2) If your data usage in a month exceeds your 3G speed data allotment, you can continue to use data with no overage charge, but managed data speeds will be reduced from up to 3 Mbps to up to 64 kilobits per second (for both download and upload) until your Anniversary Date.

Yes, some providers limit the speed when data reaches it's limit, and others don't allow to reach over the limit. PM belongs to the second option. It would be nice if they introduce such a feature with limited speed over your limit in the future.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

@htcuser  PM in the past has given it's customers free data add-ons this year it's been 2GB. The data never exipres and remains in your account until used up. Great for situations when needed. Better than 64bps IMHO.

I'd rather have unlimited data with slow speeds than capped data. Depends on what you're trying to do I guess.

cat2019
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think your adds-on data can always roll in to the future as long as you haven't used it up. Don't think it has anything to do with new year.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@htcuser wrote:

Things always expire there are always small fine prints no one reads. Let's see how long is the "never" every company has a fine print somewhere, policies and plans can change in the corporate world :).

Life is too short to worry about when PM will change the no overage policy.  I joined PM about 17 months ago and no overage/pay-per-use policy is still valid.

htcuser

Things always expire there are always small fine prints no one reads. Let's see how long is the "never" every company has a fine print somewhere, policies and plans can change in the corporate world :).

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@htcuser 

Chatr has pay-per-use and with take available fund in your Chatr account to pay for the data overage.

PM is does not a pay-per-use.  There is not overage with PM.  But your data will stop if you run out of data and without data add-on.  

@htcuser wrote:

Yes i have those addons in my account, never used them, but with new year rolling in not sure if they will stay for lifetime of the account or they have expiration date.

@htcuser  Add-ons do not exipre.Smiley Happy

htcuser

Yes i have those addons in my account, never used them, but with new year rolling in not sure if they will stay for lifetime of the account or they have expiration date.

@htcuser wrote:

NVM found the answer, data just stops so no overages ever. Would be nice to have some data with reduced speed, for those emergency situations :).

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Data-overages/m-p/434399#M53821

@htcuser  PM in the past has given it's customers free data add-ons this year it's been 2GB. The data never exipres and remains in your account until used up. Great for situations when needed. Better than 64bps IMHO.

htcuser

I like to see PM offer reduced speed, thinking of switching to try out chatr actually, see what their reduced speed looks like, I rather have some data vs no data if I run out of data :).

Though i am not a heavy data user.

Well done @htcuser . That's why its called a community. We work together.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No Data overages, You wont exceed your monthly limit.

@htcuser It's deemed inappropriate to select your own post as a solution, so why don't you throw @jimbobs a bone and give him the solution. He would have given it to you, anyway! Self serve is the way of PM, embrace it!

@htcuser wrote:

NVM found the answer, data just stops so no overages ever. Would be nice to have some data with reduced speed, for those emergency situations :).

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Data-overages/m-p/434399#M53821

Yes being prepaid your data and mins (if on a limited plan) will simply not be available.  A lot of people would like PM to offer the reduced speed data, unfortunately, for now, they seem uninterested.  But we can hope they may offer it sometime in the future.

You are eligible to receive the free 1GB data and 400 international LD mins until Dec. 25th, which is a really nice gift from PM.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thought I was going to be able to post the solution but you beat me.

htcuser

Need Help? Let's chat.