cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data and Network Selection

suz-uzi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Through the help of people here, I was able to get my service up and running. Phone calls and texts are a breeze. No problems, there.

I've gone through a couple months without actually being able to use the data that I'm thinking about not paying for anymore. Nothing was working, and now I get "Unable to load network list" and I don't know if it's because of something I did trying to access my data.

I have an "iPhone 3G". (that's not an "iPhone 3") And the lack of network listing just started when I was trying to follow instructions on other responses for similar phones. 

Airplane Mode is off and remained off. Though it was switched on and off, as per one suggestion, earlier. 

I'm sure there is other info I should provide, but I'm not sure what. Ask me questions and, if my inexperienced and non-techish self can, I will answer them.

Thank you, in advance.

19 REPLIES 19

suz-uzi

Thanks, guys!

Weird that PM is asking me to do what's already done, but that explains why I couldn't find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChuckYeah wrote:

On this thread this post has already been marked as a solution.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Data-and-Network-Selection/m-p/426151/hig...

I'm guessing this is why you don't see an option to mark a solution.

Correct. Upon un-selecting a solution post, the Accept As Solution button will re-appear on all posts.

On this thread this post has already been marked as a solution.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Data-and-Network-Selection/m-p/426151/hig...

I'm guessing this is why you don't see an option to mark a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@suz-uzi wrote:

Public Mobile is asking me to mark a reply as the solution, for others, but I can find no option for that. There's an option to mark something as NOT the solution, but not AS the solution.

Anyone know how to do this?

You or an Oracle had already marked a post as the solution. It's the second post on this second page from user CalgaryBen. You as the OP of the thread could change that if you like by clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right of that post and then selecting another post. If you like.

suz-uzi

Public Mobile is asking me to mark a reply as the solution, for others, but I can find no option for that. There's an option to mark something as NOT the solution, but not AS the solution.

Anyone know how to do this?

suz-uzi

Thank you, for the suggestion. 

At the moment, funds don't allow, but I'll keep that resource.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@suz-uzi Some friends have been happy with used iPhones at getorchard.com. They currently have an unlocked 4S for $55 and a 5 for $95.

It would be nice to get data working, even if you don't need it for surfing, in order to access MMS/picture messaging outside iMessage.

Happy hunting. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

suz-uzi

Thank you for all your help. 

I'm going to have to stick with this one, for a bit. With any luck, a 4 will turn up, as you say.

As is, I have talk and text, so thank you.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@suz-uzi wrote:

I was able to upgrade to 4.2.1. 

For some reason, my Safari screen is still frozen on a blank advertisement screen. But it seems like an image, since it doesn't scroll. So I basically have no access to the unlockit site.

However, I now have the Networks again, so I can phone and text. But still no ability to access data.

Ah, okay, so maybe a bit of progress!  I'm not familiar nor have I seen the "Unable to load network list" error before, but the old OS might've also meant radio firmware was also outdated which can affect the phone's ability to connect to ideal/correct towers.  Note that you've just upgraded a 2008/09 firmware to the 2010 release, so it's still quite old!  With old/unsupported firmware, it's hard to guarantee useabiliy and reliability going forward as carriers will likely start to adopt new 3GPP standards and network band shuffling to accommodate 5G down the road.  But, if it mostly meets your needs, then I guess there's no need to change, and just to be aware!

I'm guessing the old version of Safari isn't rendering ads on the unlockit site well.  Are you able to terminate Safari (double-press Home button, then "flick" away the Safari screen) and re-launch and retry?  Failing the unlockit method of loading a profile, the only other way I know of is quite laborious and technically demanding (it uses tools that a corporate IT admin would use to build profiles and load onto company phones, and may not even work on the 3G).

I guess if data is vitally important, you can either upgrade your phone or change carriers (the latter of which would defeat being budget-conscious).  The iPhone 3G with iOS 4 would have built-in data support for the incumbants such as Telus, but wouldn't have settings for Koodo, Public Mobile, etc.  If you want to keep the phone and remain on PM and cannot get the APN profile installed, then it makes sense to drop to a plan with no data since you are paying for something you can't use...

For my kids, I've simply gotten them old iPhone 4S to use with Public Mobile, since it's the lowest phone that is relatively easy to configure/use without iTunes, and no need for unlockit, etc.  You can sometimes find these at garage sales for $30 or less...

suz-uzi

Thanks again, for help with the upgrade and getting the networks back.

Anyone have any idea why I'm getting the frozen image at the unlock site? (I'm assuming it's the only option, I have?)

suz-uzi

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@suz-uzi wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

What version of iOS is your iPhone running? 

...would recommend at least upgrading the device to the latest that it supports (iOS 4.2.1)... I'm not even completely convinced that you'll be able to set the APN using the method provided, but you could try.  Again, with the vintage of this phone, you'll probably need to update it using iTunes while the iPhone is connected to a PC/Mac.  Unfortunately I don't have details/instructions on doing that, and not even confident that upgrading it will be supported!

I was able to upgrade to 4.2.1. 

For some reason, my Safari screen is still frozen on a blank advertisement screen. But it seems like an image, since it doesn't scroll. So I basically have no access to the unlockit site.

However, I now have the Networks again, so I can phone and text. But still no ability to access data.

suz-uzi

@mimmo wrote:

(assuming budget allows).

Would that it did.

"would a network reset or a factory reset help with the not finding network issue?"

Would that explain why it happened?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@suz-uzi  because of the age of the phone, I believe it is not receiving updates security etc.. And some apps might not even work.  It might be worth looking into a newer model (assuming budget allows).

@CalgaryBen  would a network reset or a factory reset help with the not finding network issue? 

suz-uzi

Okay, I'll see if I can find a way to update the sytem.

Thanks for your help and I'll update, as soon as I find a result.

Any idea why I no longer can find networks, almost as if I'm in airport mode?

CalgaryBen

@suz-uzi wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

Wow, that's really old!  I've personally never seen that version myself, and would recommend at least upgrading the device to the latest that it supports (iOS 4.2.1), as anything earlier may not work.  I'm not even completely convinced that you'll be able to set the APN using the method provided, but you could try.  Again, with the vintage of this phone, you'll probably need to update it using iTunes while the iPhone is connected to a PC/Mac.  Unfortunately I don't have details/instructions on doing that, and not even confident that upgrading it will be supported!

suz-uzi

Have been following instructions, connected to unlockit site.

Annnnd... there appears to be some glitch that causes a blank "advertisements" to fill the screen. This is on the "Welcome" page (the page buttons are barely visible at the bottom and "Welcome" is highlighted), but I can't see the page. The button to get to the "Create APN" page is clickable, but nothing happens. 

Is this because I have an unupdatable system? Or did I do something else wrong?

suz-uzi

@CalgaryBen wrote:

If it's important, it adds (5F136)

I'm checking your link.

CalgaryBen

@suz-uzi wrote:

I have an "iPhone 3G". (that's not an "iPhone 3") And the lack of network listing just started when I was trying to follow instructions on other responses for similar phones. 

What version of iOS is your iPhone running?  In any case, I think this post may be applicable to your situation:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight...

Older iPhones had APN settings embedded in the iOS but only supported the encumbant (large) carriers, and not the smaller subsidiaries or MVNOs.  This works around that...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@suz-uzi  this is the most complete guide for iphones 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562

@CalgaryBenis one of the iphone experts hopefully he can provide some help. 

Need Help? Let's chat.