cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Remaining counter

vinions
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried searching but I can't seem to find it (or else I'm using the wrong keywords).

It's been happening for a while now but the data counter within the Self-Serve is different than the Data Witness counter I'm using that was made for PM.  It's off by about 1.6gb as in the app shows I've used 1.6gb more than PM.

And honestly I feel like I definitely have used more data than what Self-Serve is reporting. 

Anyone else with this issue?  Is this a bug or could my app really be wrong?  I don't want to end up using more data than what Self-Serve is stating.  

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@vinions fair enough!  I don't know what the issue is then, unfortunately.

Did you happen to check as @IWIK suggested, whether you maybe (accidentally or otherwsie) set a "Data used previously this term" amount (go to the ... menu in DW, then Settings, General Setup, and it's the first option shown).

Failing that, what is your phone's make and model, and what version of Android are you on?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

vinions

I don't receive a lot but some.  but according to the app, I already have textra excluded.  so it can't be that.  

srlawren

@vinions do you send/receive a lot of MMS messages (pictures/videos by text message)?  If so, have you configured Data Witness to ignore whatever app(s) you use for MMS messages?  (Note: not sure what version of Android you're on--if you're on Nougat/7.x you won't be able to do that currently, unfortunately.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

vinions

Sorry for the delay.

At the time, I had just remembered I used a roaming sim card so it added to the data whisper counter..  according to the app, I had used just less than 500mb so if you subtract that, it's still off by 1.1gb.

I just checked today.  My self-serve shows 4gb (or just under) while the data app now shows 6.4gb or a difference of 2.4gb.  If you minus the 500mb from the roaming (and nothing more because I haven't left the country since), the gap is now 1.9gb since my last message. 

Since it seems that I'm the only one with the issue, I'm gonna try reinstalling the app at the next cycle and see if it'll be more accurate. 

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
My online account shows data uses of 4580.3 Mb while the data witness shows 4579.7 Mb which is almost identical. So I think the data witness is almost accurate and so far I love it. Thanks @IWIK for this great application.
My phone is lg g2 running Android 4.4.2

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Hey everybody. Thanks for the tag. That's strange for sure. Can you make sure you haven't somehow entered a huge "Previouse used data"

srlawren

I'm tagging Data Witness developer @IWIK in hopes he can shed some light 🙂

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I use My Data Manager and it is pretty accurate. So the count on the self serve account is right.

In the 90 days of my plan there is almost no difference.

Here the comparison.

usage 1.PNG

Photo 2017-01-17, 7 09 59 PM.jpg

vinions

Actually, and I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I checked the Android built-in data counter with the Self-Serve and it's only off my 160mb or so.  So perhaps the self-serve is right.  Perhaps I infact did use less data than I thought.

But that means the data whisper app is not working for me.  It's off my 1.6gb even though I started the app counter like on day 1.  I wonder where it's picking up the remaining 1.5gb

PS: The only reason why I'm using data whisper is because of the 90-day cycle.  unless there's another app out there that can do 90-day cycle instead of monthly/3months.

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

use the app as a estimate of how much data you have used.

I find the data manager app pretty good on ios

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@vinions, did you start the data witness app part way through a plan period?  If you did, was the data already used accounted for in the app?  I am using the app and I find it to register on the low side.  The difference to the official meter is not so much that I would consider it unreliable. 

Over two months now of using an app and compare it to the official stat at the account, barely 15 mb of difference. 

I would say there might be a lag between your usage and whats reported, but 1.6 GB is just too much to be a lag

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

I doubt the counter is that precise.  Just use the offcial counter as your measure, and that app to assist you without logging into the serl serve  portal.

Need Help? Let's chat.