cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in New Brunswick

gordog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm suggesting that a friend switch to Public Mobile from Koodo.  She's reluctant to do so even with significant savings for the plan that she needs as she says that if Public uses Telus' cell network, she's had problems in the past.  I thought Koodo uses the same network.  does it make sense that she gets better cell coverage with Koodo?  Will she run into problems with Public?

16 REPLIES 16

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

all mobile competetions are in same situation here in NB as any other provinces. Unfortunitely, there is not too much for home internet competetions, just Bell and Rogers. (little bit off topic)

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am wrote:

Bell and Telus share towers across Canada.  Here is a good site to use to check tower density in your local area.  

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Cool resource. 

@mh1983 wrote:

They do, but PM engineering recently said "PM calls are handled and operated on a different platform so you can say they are somewhat [lower priority]but nothing drastic since it is using the same radio frequencies."

Who said this? The only difference is Koodo has VoLTE and PM does not. If you use a non-VoLTE phone on Koodo, it'll be exactly the same as PM for voice calls.

There's no prioritization between the brands.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hairbag1 wrote:

@gordog wrote:

I'm suggesting that a friend switch to Public Mobile from Koodo.  She's reluctant to do so even with significant savings for the plan that she needs as she says that if Public uses Telus' cell network, she's had problems in the past.  I thought Koodo uses the same network.  does it make sense that she gets better cell coverage with Koodo?  Will she run into problems with Public?

As far as I know...Koodo and Telus share the same backbone. Public Mobile should use it as well.

They do, but PM engineering recently said "PM calls are handled and operated on a different platform so you can say they are somewhat [lower priority]but nothing drastic since it is using the same radio frequencies."

I was on Koodo and am now on PM in Ontario. In my experience, I get more call drops on PM than on Koodo, but I've had tickets opened and they're looking at fixing whatever's going on apparently.

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am in SJ, NB. 

PM coverage is excellent. Was with Koodo.

There is no doubt that Telus/Koodo/PM are using same tower so they are identical. 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@gordog Telus, Koodo, PM, Virgin Mobile, Lucky Mobile all use Bell's towers in NB. Coverage for all of them is identical.

See here for more info:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M420...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is a coverage map for PM.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

PM uses Bell and Telus towers so generally good coverage in most urban areas.

Bell and Telus share towers across Canada.  Here is a good site to use to check tower density in your local area.  

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Sometimes "brand loyalty" is the biggest factor. Can't argue.

Cell Phone Coverage in New Brunswick by Area

New Brunswick encompasses 73,051 square kilometers with Bell, Telus and Rogers covering the majority of it: 

Geographic Area Covered in New Brunswick
Network Percentage Geographic Area Covered (km2)
Bell77.00%56,250
Rogers69.05%50,444
Telus77.00%56,250

@gordogI would say circumstances vary eg new towers going up, older equipment (both cell phones and tower equipment). There are many things that can explain her problems in the past. Unless your friend is competent or you are willing to help her out with all the potential issues, I would suggest just let her stick with Koodo.

gordog

I heard that Bell has the best coverage there.

gordog

That's waht I would think, but she insists that she had many more problems when she was on Telus1

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@gordog wrote:

As far as I know...Koodo and Telus share the same backbone. Public Mobile should use it as well.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@gordogKoodo and Public Mobile use the same network (Bell in NB).. however Koodo post paid have better customer support.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile so she would get same coverage. 

Link to coverage map

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

Need Help? Let's chat.