cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country Lock

totosunhee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Im going to Korea for a month this December and will buy a sim card to use my phone in there.

How do i know if my phone is locked or not and if mines locked, how can I unlock it?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

@totosunhee wrote:

Im going to Korea for a month this December and will buy a sim card to use my phone in there.

How do i know if my phone is locked or not and if mines locked, how can I unlock it?

You can go into a store and ask them to insert a test sim or other sim that will know right away if your phone is locked.

Try a SIM from a friend on a whole other carrier would do about the same thing.

Your phone should also have some indication deep in some menu somewhere that will tell you that the network is unlocked. It might not say unlocked specifically. It might say some things are unlocked and say nothing about others. Therefore it implies that those other parts are locked. Depends on the phone. But it should be in there. My old BB Z30 has a setting called SIM Card down in a menu that showed two things unlocked. When I got it unlocked it showed a third thing.

@totosunhee wrote:

If your phone is locked to a carrier other than the one of the sim card you are trying to use, most phones will prompt you to enter an unlock code before allowing you to use that sim card.  Note that a phone being unlocked does not necessarily mean that it will be compatible with the sim card's native network.

In addition, since you mention "country lock" in your title, some phones are in fact, region locked. If a phone is region locked, it will not work outside with sim cards from carriers of the designated geographical areas, even if the phone is already carrier unlocked or factory unlocked.  Samsung sometimes imposes region locks.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You can look on ebay and pay for unlock code...or you can contact the PM mods and request unlock code for gratis. If you do message the modertors, be aware that wait times could go to 48hrs or more before they respond to you. Good luck and enjoy Korea.

Need Help? Let's chat.