cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost for getting bonus data, How does that make sense???

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have a friend coming back into the country for a couple of weeks.  I am trying to help with shopping for a short term cellular service.  Looking through the options, I noticed that a 30 day plan with province talk, text, and 1 gig +1 gig bonus 3G data is $42.  The 30 day plan with province talk, text, 1 gig 3G data is $37.  How can there be a cost associated with the bonus.  Isn't a bonus supposed to be gratis? 

27 REPLIES 27

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I wouldn’t count on them rethinking their prices. All phone companies are expensive, but you won’t be able to find better prices than Public Mobile (at least in Ontario, anyway)...

The big 3 MIGHT give you a better deal if you have been a long-term customer with them (5-10yrs), but this is not the case for most people.

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I hope this thread makes them rethink their prices on those plans with bonus data. I'd be more than happy to switch plan to grab a little more data but the price is just too high for my budget 😞

Noosiekins
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Soooo their marketing team should revisit their wording in these "bonuses" 

@stonechucker wrote:

And that's what I remembered to (although I forgot until you mentioned it just now).

The 250mb plan is MISSING the discount.

Yup; broken in self serve as well.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker  I think sommeone provided a reasoning  for the "missing"discount stating that is was ineligable for some reason or another.  I need those fish oils as well becasue i can't remember who said it or the reason why.  

And that's what I remembered to (although I forgot until you mentioned it just now).

The 250mb plan is MISSING the discount.

mimmo

@will13am wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am, @stonechucker,  I'm having a deja vu moment . we had a similar discussion  a while back.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/3Gb-and-3gb-bonus-promotion/m-p/195881#...

I need some more fish oil, I forgot all about that post.

You cant remember them all 🙂 I remembered it only because i recalled talking about the 250 mb one costing more than the 500 mb plan

@Luddite wrote:

@will13am Get with the programme, eh? Just a friendly PM quirk. Robot LOL I remember a time when calling plus texting was MORE expensive than calling, texting plus 1 GB data. Ah, the good old days. 💤

You will add this to your list of issues requiring resolution?

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am, @stonechucker,  I'm having a deja vu moment . we had a similar discussion  a while back.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/3Gb-and-3gb-bonus-promotion/m-p/195881#...

I need some more fish oil, I forgot all about that post.

mimmo

@srlawren, oops... my brain fart!

$20 on the 30 day plans... so it should be a $22 for prov voice, global text, and the 250 MB of '3G Data' (throttled LTE)

Michael77

@will13am wrote:

I have a friend coming back into the country for a couple of weeks.  I am trying to help with shopping for a short term cellular service.  Looking through the options, I noticed that a 30 day plan with province talk, text, and 1 gig +1 gig bonus 3G data is $42.  The 30 day plan with province talk, text, 1 gig 3G data is $37.  How can there be a cost associated with the bonus.  Isn't a bonus supposed to be gratis? 

Good catch!  You Oracles must stay up late at night finding/figuring out all this stuff.  What would we/PM do without you? 😉 🙂 😉

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@will13am Get with the programme, eh? Just a friendly PM quirk. Robot LOL I remember a time when calling plus texting was MORE expensive than calling, texting plus 1 GB data. Ah, the good old days. 💤

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Acekiller

it's just deceptive marketing

@dna2016 wrote:

Good catch @will13am,

Guess this is just the nature of how business works, they hope people don't notice or catch onto these things.  No way that was a mistake, companies vet these decisions and go through every possible outcome. 

They've had this out for a few months now and you're the only one who noticed, and to think, if you weren't helping out your friend then I guess nobody would have noticed this at all.  Companies always take these types of risks hoping that nobody finds out, or when they do they'll have some form of solution or damage control in place to save face. 

Remember back in the day when companies had "System Access Fees", and when they said they were getting rid of them, did they really get rid of them?  No, they just embed them in the actual service cost (i.e. system access fee $6.99 disappeared yet at the same time plan costs went up approximately $5).  In this case "Bonus Data" just sounds more appealing to new customers, so they went with that, lol. 

Who can forget those dreaded system access fees.  I recall some carriers referred to it as some sort of government mandated fee as if it was a tax.  In reality, it was a carrier tax.   

srlawren

@stonechucker there's no such thing as a $60 discount on a 30 day plan--those are for the 90 day plans 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

What I don't understand about the 30 day Prov Voice, global txt, and 250 mb of 3g Data.....

It's $42 (no discount), and the 1+1 Data is the same price!!

Seems totally wrong.  The 250 mb plan I've described is a Pick 3, so it should have the $60 discount (which would mean Public Mobile pays you to have the plan!)

The "bonus" is probably a wrong word they came up with just like the "3G" data. Don't forget that these two came pretty much at the same time. They know it's wrong and misleading, but for some reason, they don't want to change it.

I'd call it deceptive advertising.  @will13am, you could have a fight for the Government to participate in 😉

dna2016

Good catch @will13am,

Guess this is just the nature of how business works, they hope people don't notice or catch onto these things.  No way that was a mistake, companies vet these decisions and go through every possible outcome. 

They've had this out for a few months now and you're the only one who noticed, and to think, if you weren't helping out your friend then I guess nobody would have noticed this at all.  Companies always take these types of risks hoping that nobody finds out, or when they do they'll have some form of solution or damage control in place to save face. 

Remember back in the day when companies had "System Access Fees", and when they said they were getting rid of them, did they really get rid of them?  No, they just embed them in the actual service cost (i.e. system access fee $6.99 disappeared yet at the same time plan costs went up approximately $5).  In this case "Bonus Data" just sounds more appealing to new customers, so they went with that, lol. 

@KMG wrote:

Same issue with the 90 day plans on 3G (with province-wide calling and global text):

3GB for $105

3GB + 3GB "bonus" for $120

They should just call them 3GB and 6GB...

@KMG, yeah this is also looking like each "Bonus" GB of data is sold at $5 instead of the $30

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

KMG

Same issue with the 90 day plans on 3G (with province-wide calling and global text):

3GB for $105

3GB + 3GB "bonus" for $120

They should just call them 3GB and 6GB...

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am, I guess the bonus is getting the extra GB at $5 instead of $30

$30 is for add on data.  We are talking about data that expires on a monthly basis.  It serves no purpose to insert the word bonus when it isn't a bonus.  I agree with @srlawren to refer to it as a 1 + 1 gig plan. 

@closng wrote:

Good catch @will13am, never really noticed that. Seems to me it is just a marketing ploy to make people think they are getting 1GB free when in fact, it is built in already into the price 🙂

@srlawren, it seems to me that Public Mobile is in hibernation mode, not much happening other than maintaining status quo.

I don't want to sound pessimistic here.  The glass is half empty interpretation of hibernation is death watch.  Smiley Sad

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@will13am, I guess the bonus is getting the extra GB at $5 instead of $30

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

closng

Good catch @will13am, never really noticed that. Seems to me it is just a marketing ploy to make people think they are getting 1GB free when in fact, it is built in already into the price 🙂

@srlawren, it seems to me that Public Mobile is in hibernation mode, not much happening other than maintaining status quo.

srlawren

@will13am yeah what's up with that?  Honestly, I think they're only using this "bonus data" stuff because many of their competitors do it too.  Since the "bonus" data stays indefinitely, they should have just called the 1+1 plan a 2GB plan, making it easier to understand.  I honestly don't know what is going on at the marketing department at Public Mobile, but since about mid-2017 it seems to have gone way, way down hill.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.