cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oracle

Cost for getting bonus data, How does that make sense???

I have a friend coming back into the country for a couple of weeks.  I am trying to help with shopping for a short term cellular service.  Looking through the options, I noticed that a 30 day plan with province talk, text, and 1 gig +1 gig bonus 3G data is $42.  The 30 day plan with province talk, text, 1 gig 3G data is $37.  How can there be a cost associated with the bonus.  Isn't a bonus supposed to be gratis? 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Cost for getting bonus data, How does that make sense???

@will13am yeah what's up with that?  Honestly, I think they're only using this "bonus data" stuff because many of their competitors do it too.  Since the "bonus" data stays indefinitely, they should have just called the 1+1 plan a 2GB plan, making it easier to understand.  I honestly don't know what is going on at the marketing department at Public Mobile, but since about mid-2017 it seems to have gone way, way down hill.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good catch @will13am, never really noticed that. Seems to me it is just a marketing ploy to make people think they are getting 1GB free when in fact, it is built in already into the price Smiley Happy

@srlawren, it seems to me that Public Mobile is in hibernation mode, not much happening other than maintaining status quo.

Tags (1)
Oracle

@will13am, I guess the bonus is getting the extra GB at $5 instead of $30

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Oracle

@closng wrote:

Good catch @will13am, never really noticed that. Seems to me it is just a marketing ploy to make people think they are getting 1GB free when in fact, it is built in already into the price Smiley Happy

@srlawren, it seems to me that Public Mobile is in hibernation mode, not much happening other than maintaining status quo.

I don't want to sound pessimistic here.  The glass is half empty interpretation of hibernation is death watch.  Smiley Sad

Oracle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am, I guess the bonus is getting the extra GB at $5 instead of $30

$30 is for add on data.  We are talking about data that expires on a monthly basis.  It serves no purpose to insert the word bonus when it isn't a bonus.  I agree with @srlawren to refer to it as a 1 + 1 gig plan. 

KMG

Same issue with the 90 day plans on 3G (with province-wide calling and global text):

3GB for $105

3GB + 3GB "bonus" for $120

They should just call them 3GB and 6GB...

Oracle

@KMG wrote:

Same issue with the 90 day plans on 3G (with province-wide calling and global text):

3GB for $105

3GB + 3GB "bonus" for $120

They should just call them 3GB and 6GB...

@KMG, yeah this is also looking like each "Bonus" GB of data is sold at $5 instead of the $30

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

Good catch @will13am,

Guess this is just the nature of how business works, they hope people don't notice or catch onto these things.  No way that was a mistake, companies vet these decisions and go through every possible outcome. 

They've had this out for a few months now and you're the only one who noticed, and to think, if you weren't helping out your friend then I guess nobody would have noticed this at all.  Companies always take these types of risks hoping that nobody finds out, or when they do they'll have some form of solution or damage control in place to save face. 

Remember back in the day when companies had "System Access Fees", and when they said they were getting rid of them, did they really get rid of them?  No, they just embed them in the actual service cost (i.e. system access fee $6.99 disappeared yet at the same time plan costs went up approximately $5).  In this case "Bonus Data" just sounds more appealing to new customers, so they went with that, lol. 

I'd call it deceptive advertising.  @will13am, you could have a fight for the Government to participate in Smiley Wink