cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Public Mobile to Chatr, Lucky Mobile, Fizz, and Mobilicity.

martinmei
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New to Public Mobile and the community here.

Curious to know why you all chose Public Mobile? Has anyone tried Chatr, Lucky Mobile, Fizz or Mobilicity before? How would you compare? 

I just switched from Rogers so I am very happy with PM so far. Activated the SIM myself, everything seems pretty straight forward and self-explanatory. Anything I should be looking out for? 

16 REPLIES 16

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Agree.  The PM reward will keep your monthly mobile expense down.  I was with 7-11, Mobilicity-->Rogers-->Chatr, Zoomer Wireless and finally with PM 5 years ago.  PM takes care of it customers. 

Zebby

I like public mobile. You get rewards. I have not tried the others.

@martinmei wrote:

New to Public Mobile and the community here.

Curious to know why you all chose Public Mobile? Has anyone tried Chatr, Lucky Mobile, Fizz or Mobilicity before? How would you compare? 

I just switched from Rogers so I am very happy with PM so far. Activated the SIM myself, everything seems pretty straight forward and self-explanatory. Anything I should be looking out for? 

I haven't used Fizz before (not offered here), but I have used Wind, Chatr, and Mobilicity.

Chatr was fine, but in its early days, had no data and also used to be a zone-centric service.

Wind was just garbage. I wanted so badly for Wind to work for me because of the price plans and because of rapid expansion.  The problem with Wind over is how for years, the expansion kept going but the quality of network didn't get much better.

Mobilicity's network quality was excellent, at least relative to very small amount of towers that they had.  Officially, I don't believe that they ever did cover all of Mississauga, or even all of Toronto for that matter. Mobilicity had big expansion goals, but never really started any of it. Eventually most of even the most satisfied customer gave up on them, almost as if it were predictable that the company had no long-term future. For that reason, Wind won out, even with their network problems.

When it comes to Public Mobile, they do seem to have their fair share of account problems and bugs. That is largely offset by price and by the fact that a very inexpensive plan can be achiebed via rewards.  The network is also a big plus.

@yanzhiqiang  Unfortunately, the link that you provided contains incorrect, and/or outdated info..... just look at the $15 plan comparison, which is contrary to what I posted earlier in this thread. I'm not completely sure, without looking to refresh my memory, but I think there's at least one mistake in the $25 plan comparison too.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CannonFodder wrote:

@kselmak wrote: (Only freedom will beat them in that but again the coverage is the issue)

Yeah, I've considered Freedom, but just looking at their coverage map is enough to turn me off. At this point, the only reason that I MIGHT go with Chatr, is that the Rogers network has a better signal where I live.

My reason for considering chatr is even flimsier then yours, I started my cellular journey back in the early 2000s on rogers prepaid, and I almost want to come full circle 😛

@kselmak wrote: (Only freedom will beat them in that but again the coverage is the issue)

Yeah, I've considered Freedom, but just looking at their coverage map is enough to turn me off. At this point, the only reason that I MIGHT go with Chatr, is that the Rogers network has a better signal where I live.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I lived mobilicity, I had unlimited data and calling/texting for 23+tax

Things were going better and better, I thought I'd be able to catch something like that again when I'm back to Toronto.

While in Toronto signal was good too

I tethered home computer for about 40 days while waiting for cable. Great company too, love them still

I have nothing nice to say about either Rogers or Bell

My brother is a telus fan since later 90s. He has his original account still and loves them. I remember he was so excited when they came. (I wish he got some stocks then too) but he really likes the company. 

My relatives are happy with chatr, but they can't be reached when they come over or gets spotty when leave gta. They complain about being reminded how much more Rogers can offer, one of them is annoyed

I'm assuming lucky may be very similar to us in many aspects, but nothing beats $0 or unlimited incoming for 13.

Wind was ok, freedom has great deals but we moved out of coverage and even 1c is too much for no service. I wasn't pleased how they handled it as I was supposed to have unlimited roaming  thatboth both USA and Canada wasn't honored in Canada as it was still area that 'should have coverage' just no tower to be found

Koddo was very good too, I'm happy to have dealt with them, great team and great option if you want some equipment. (Only freedom will beat them in that but again the coverage is the issue)

I like public mobile definitely more than anything I had so far, only mobilicity came close. But again nothing beats $0 with great service and coverage to top it up.

Welcome to public mobile

I'm a cheap fella and this offered,me the nbest bang for my buck👍

@Dunkman wrote:

You should also conside Lucky mobile, which has unlimited throttled data (after you use your data for that cycle).  If data is important to you, Lucky mobile might be a good choice.  

I'm fairly sure that large, unruly mob of knuckle-draggin', hairy, Neanderthal-lookin' folks, that are all packin' pitchforks and/or large vats of boiling tar are heading to your place right now! 😉  🤣 

XionBunny

@martinmei wrote:

Hey XionBunny, don't we only get 3G network access with PM as well? How has your experience been so far with the 3G network? 

Thanks!

Its LTE network access with 3G throttled speeds. I have no complaints about service thus far honestly.

Edit: I hate getting ninja'd especially when the question is addressed to me, its kinda rude 😕

@martinmei wrote:

Hey XionBunny, don't we only get 3G network access with PM as well? How has your experience been so far with the 3G network? 

Thanks!

@martinmei 

The data on Public mobile is actually LTE data, but capped to 3G speeds.  LTE latency capped to 3G speeds.  For most day to day use for data, most people will be fine.  

Public mobile offers the various rewards to lower your bill.  You should also conside Lucky mobile, which has unlimited throttled data (after you use your data for that cycle).  If data is important to you, Lucky mobile might be a good choice.  

martinmei

Thanks!

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@martinmei  If you do a search, and/or read various threads on these forums, you'll see LOTS of people that have moved over here from any of those other providers, for one reason or another.

Personally, I came over here simply to lower my cell phone bill as much as possible, while still retaining enough service(s) to fill my use case. I was previously on Lucky's $25/month plan, and wanted to drop down to the $15 plan, but the plan over here, for the same dollar amount, is somewhat better, because Lucky's plan only has 100minutes(both outgoing and incoming), whereas the $15 plan here, has 100mins. outgoing, and unlimited incoming. While I'd prefer more outgoing minutes, here they offer a $5/500mins. add-on, which doesn't expire 'til all the mins. are used, whereas Lucky offers "service packs"(or something similarly named) that expire at the end of the month.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@martinmei 

Welcome to PM and the saving.

- I love PM reward program to lower my monthly cost.

- PM is a pure prepaid provider.  If I don't pay and I don't get the service. No suprise overage charge.  On the other hand, Chatr has pay-per-use. Chatr will suck the fund in my account dry if I am not careful with what I am using.

XionBunny

Welcome aboard, really all the providers, are essentially the same, the one thing that makes this one better than the others that I've found is the discounts and the fact its cheap Telus network access. I've personally used them all except for chatr, but I heard it's only got actual 3G network access, so I haven't really found any compelling reason to try them.

Need Help? Let's chat.