cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Comox Valley - Vancouver Island

We live in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, and since last night both our phones are only giving us the message "Emergency Calls Only" when either of us attempts to call out. Both accounts are active and paid and there is nothing that indicates any problems on our account. This is a bit of a problem as we don't have a landline and we are in a rural area.

Can anyone tell me why we would be getting this message and what the problem might be?

thanks in advance

Mayor / Maire

Re: Comox Valley - Vancouver Island

@Fergusson You can try the lost/stolen phone trick to see if it will force an update.

Login to your account, click on Plan and Add-Ons, then select Lost/Stolen Phone.
Click Suspend Sevice and logout. Wait for a few mins, then login to the same Lost/Stolen Phone tab and click Resume Service. Restart your phone after and see if this helps.

Mayor / Maire

@Fergusson if that doesn't work  send your issue to the moderators here

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Fergusson wrote:

We live in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, and since last night both our phones are only giving us the message "Emergency Calls Only" when either of us attempts to call out. Both accounts are active and paid and there is nothing that indicates any problems on our account. This is a bit of a problem as we don't have a landline and we are in a rural area.

Can anyone tell me why we would be getting this message and what the problem might be?

thanks in advance

Try power off your phone and take out SIM for 15 minutes or more, then put SIM in and power on your phone. If still doesn't work then try reset network setting.

Oracle

There might be a local service outage affecting cellular service. Check this map for details. https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map

Hi Ross

thanks so much for the speedy reply. It seems to be something common as we are using 2 identical phones running the same version of Android. Both stopped working at almost the same time and we just thought it was a Telus service problem.

I just checked in with Telus Outages map and there are none in this area so it must have something to do with Public Mobile, our phones or our accounts. It just seems very coincidental that we would have the problem almost simultaneously. 

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/outages

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Fergusson yes strange indeed message the moderators it's probably an account issue

Mayor / Maire

I'm close to CFB Comox and no problem with connectivity today.

We are not that far from you and this emergency message persists when we drive into town. That is why I am thinking it is an account issue.

I have sent a note to the moderators and hopefully, they will get back to me fairly soon. We don't have a landline so the Internet is our only other method of communication. I am also a Type 1 diabetic so definitely don't want to be without a phone for any length of time

thanks again or all your help ... it is appreciated

Smiley Happy