Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Technical Issues

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Hey Community, 

From time to time Lithium, our community platform, updates the system and causes some issues that changes how we interact with this community. Issues such as users are not receiving community notifications OR users are not being redirected to the first unread post. These examples might change the way we browse this community.

Use this topic to discuss and report any Community related issues. Out staff member, @David_J, will use this to track all reported issues. Let's help him to make this community even better. 

Thank you. 

502 REPLIES 502

A trivial issue ...

Clicking on the badges in the /badges/userbadgespage/ makes them disappear.  It's just a cosmetic thing, they reappear after refreshing the page.

And thank you for the "2 Anniversary / Anniversaire" badge, I haven't gotten a little cake with two candles on it for well ... uh ... a "long" time (I don't really wanna talk about it, lol).

@David_Jwrote:

Not implemented yet - would look to put it up later this week. Plan would be to keep both Latest Posts and Latest Topics during the test.

Any progress on this?

Guilty as charged. We also updated the header to align with publicmobile.ca.

Thanks for the feedback.

They also updated the menu buttons up top to match the main PM site. 

Thanks David and the team. Keep at it!

@srlawren, I've just signed on again today, and I thought I was dreaming.

This is SOOOOO Much better for me to read.  WOW... A win for the visually challenged guy!

@David_J, if it wasn't you, I'm sure it's someone on your team --- THANKS!!!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai easier on the eyes!  I had the community zoomed to 110% before but can put it back to 100% now.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawrenwrote:

@David_J did you update the community font today?  It looks nice!  Bolder and easier to read.  Also much easier to visually pick out read vs. unread threads and forums with unread topics in the main listing.  I like it.

Pretty big to me. I think it's a bug. 

srlawren

@David_J did you update the community font today?  It looks nice!  Bolder and easier to read.  Also much easier to visually pick out read vs. unread threads and forums with unread topics in the main listing.  I like it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Not implemented yet - would look to put it up later this week. Plan would be to keep both Latest Posts and Latest Topics during the test.

@David_Jwrote:

@NDesai - thanks for the suggestions

1. All posts - the link you showed me is a page which displays all the unviewed posts (and it's a great view to see all that is going on), slightly different from a widget/component which would fit on our homepage template. We are currently displaying the 'Latest Topics' widget, and there is a stock out of the box 'Latest Posts' that could be inserted into the homepage. Maybe try this as a 2 week test and see what the feedback is?

Let me know if you have additional feedback.

David_J

Sure I would like to test that stock Latest Post widget. Have you enabled already? If yes, I don't see it. Is it possible to keep Latest Topic along with this test of Latest Post? I don't want other users to complaint about missing Latest Topics widget.

@NDesai - thanks for the suggestions

1. All posts - the link you showed me is a page which displays all the unviewed posts (and it's a great view to see all that is going on), slightly different from a widget/component which would fit on our homepage template. We are currently displaying the 'Latest Topics' widget, and there is a stock out of the box 'Latest Posts' that could be inserted into the homepage. Maybe try this as a 2 week test and see what the feedback is?

2. Online users - Unfortunately the widget which was on the old design of our Community called 'Users Online' doesn't work within the new responsive design. There is a 'User Online Count' widget, but I don't think that does what you're looking for.

Let me know if you have additional feedback.

David_J

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@David_J I know we have asked for Latest Post before, but not sure why it was removed. Is it possible for you to enable Latest Post section similar to this one but all replies in the same topics are combined as one topic? Also, can we have the Users online sidebar enabled again? 

When the new community layout was launched, many users including me complained about the white space on every posts. Is this something you can reduce to shrink a single post size? May be by shrinking the tag section, it will allow more words to fit on a single line and this might shrink the whole post size.

@David_Jwrote:

1. The "jump to first unread post" in a topic thread is actually working as expected now. Previously, this feature was being introduced into other components unintentionally. This is why users were seeing this behaviour in other discussions types; it was actually the behaviour of the bug. The new behaviour you reported is due to fixing the bug and is the intended behaviour.

Let me know if you have feedback - I'll update the third point when I receive information.

David_J

Thank you for the update. 

I actually liked the bug you mentioned that allowed us to jump to first unread post from Latest Topics. It is currently working if we select topics from specific boards. But as long as i know, most users browse the community from Latest Topic or All Posts boards. It would be nice if you/Lithium can enable this again. Otherwise, when we see that there is a new post we haven't read, it's hard to determine which post(s) were the new ones we haven't read. 

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Update for January 30 - this past weekend the following issue was raised:

"Not sure if we should have a seperate thread for problems with the forum? I found that quoting is quite inconsistend lately. In this particular thread it brings up the user name that I'm quoting in the quote, but I noticed on several others today that it would only say "wrote" without the user handle followed by the quoted text. So, unless I'm tagging the addressee of my reply, other posters might not be sure who I mean."

"...I decided to test this. Seems like they brought new little feature that automatically tags user on the quote so they get the notification without us manually adding the tag. I was hoping for this feature a while back so whenever someone quotes you, you get the notification. Before when user quotes your reply and don't tag you, you don't know about that unless you browse that topic."

"So with the new change, i found the error. There is an error with automatic tag where in the html tag, userid number has a comma. For example, a user with id 2323 is listed as 2,323 and that is why the RichText doesn't recognize the comma. If you manually tag a user, there will be no comma in the userid and it works. So for now, change to HTML editor (not available on mobile site) and remove that comma from the userid or manually tag."

I opened a ticket with Lithium (as they own the code to the platform that our Community uses) and they sent the following response after investigating;

It sounds like you are reporting three issues:
1. The "jump to first unread post" feature is no longer working on all components
2. The user handle (@mention) is included in quotes
3. The User ID is rendering incorrectly.

I went ahead and split off the third issue into a new case at it will require further troubleshooting, but we can address the first two issues here.

1. The "jump to first unread post" in a topic thread is actually working as expected now. Previously, this feature was being introduced into other components unintentionally. This is why users were seeing this behaviour in other discussions types; it was actually the behaviour of the bug. The new behaviour you reported is due to fixing the bug and is the intended behaviour.

2. The User handle being mentioned in quotes, and the accompanying notifications, is a new feature we rolled out as part of our compliance with Europe's right to be forgotten law (General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). This feature ensures that when a user's account is closed on the community their username will be deleted in quoted threads.

3. I have created case #0016047 to further troubleshoot this issue.

Let me know if you have feedback - I'll update the third point when I receive information.

David_J

@mimmo Happy to discuss which threads you think should be treated this way. David_J

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Good idea.  Thanks for being pro-active @NDesai.

mimmo

Too bad we can't get other important threads stickied like @Luddite quirks and bugs or say solutions/answers to common user problems.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

I wish there was a public lab to collect ideas and issues. Robot Indifferent

@Ludditewrote:

Thanks @NDesai but this process is far from optimum for collecting issues. The topic is only visible until it leaves the landing page; i.e. until five more topics are posted. Robot Sad

Well, we are here to merge any new related topics into this one :). I see that this topic is already stickied/pinned. David requested to create a single topic so i trust him to regularly monitor this one from now on. 

Thanks @NDesai but this process is far from optimum for collecting issues. The topic is only visible until it leaves the landing page; i.e. until five more topics are posted. Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Jorno wrote:

@NDesai, will you give an example so we (the community) have a better understanding of what kind of issues are to be reported in this topic?

Post edited with examples. 

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@NDesai, will you give an example so we (the community) have a better understanding of what kind of issues are to be reported in this topic?

Need Help? Let's chat.