cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combat against spam. List of spammers.

Itsmynumber
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

First it was in person junk talk, then it's junk mail, then it's junk telegram, then it's junk telephone, then it's junk text or junk pager, then it's junk airtime on tv, then it's junk social media.. the list go on and on 

Today, I received one older form of advertisement. Probably an automated phone dialer and pre-recorded message.  In the past I believe a robot would make the call and call a bunch of randomly generated number.  The robot is stupid so it will leave voicemail messages.  This robot still exists.

Today I think I am struck by a more sophisticated robot acting like the older robot i just described. I imitates the old robot I just described above but I believe the trigger of the call is from my action on the internet on my teenie tiny phone.  This is probably old news to people who follow technologies.  This is speculation by someone who does not keep up with technology but can guess how far such things can go.  When you don't keep up with trends, people are already combating new bugs that the "developers" may spread for fun or to see how sophisticated users really are.

Anyhow, the robots number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

The automesssge was I won a trip or something.

Pretty sure there are malware in my android phone that I cannot get rid of because I once click on a stupid text message saying I won some stupid electronic device that I have no use for.

Just a friendly reminder, the phone is suppose to help you to connect with people you want to talk to.

Edited by computergeek541: phone number removed as there's a high probability that the displayed phone number belongs to someone other than the person who made the call

7 REPLIES 7

Itsmynumber

I am disabling my voicemail inbox because the spammers are still calling..

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Don't bother ranting here. Do the following:

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you are on Android, take a look at the installed apps in the systems menu, unlike on the PC most toxic apps can't hide from the installed apps list. If nothing stands out as bad like "Totally.Not.A.Virus.apk", try searching online any removable system related Apps that sound too real "License.apk" and see if you get any hits related to it being a virus. Just be prepared if you somehow manage to remove a critical system file (you should not be able to) you might end up needing to hard reset your phone to restore stability (but at least the malware would be gone too!)

Also run a tool such as Malwarebytes or your prefered tool. It might be able to help you clean the malware off your phone. 

@Itsmynumber wrote:

Pretty sure there are malware in my android phone that I cannot get rid of because I once click on a stupid text message saying I won some stupid electronic device that I have no use for.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've had my home number spoofed and got several calls from people complaining to me. I had to explain about spoofing and it was not me calling. One caller said she also got a call from a doctors office and thought it was strange because it was on the weekend when they would not be open. 

@Itsmynumber I think the posted number should be deleted.  To do that click on the 3 dots at top right and choose to edit reply.  Cheers

bridonca

I checked that number through google, and it looks like it is from a legit person.  The problem with that is there is a extremely high chance that that person has nothing to do with that scam, and you just exposed that person to harrassment.  Spammers can and do spoof other people's numbers.  You need to be aware of that.  It is also why setting up a list of spammers is fruitless.

robertmay

click on recent calls and add that number to blocked callers list

bravo_md

Maybe you should have posted this message in the LOUNGE.

Need Help? Let's chat.